Sign in to follow this  
70mstang

70 Convertible Project

Back in March I had driven the car out & around to the point I felt it was safe to travel down to Macon from Atlanta, about 100 miles one way. The car ran perfect going down and did fine coming back until traffic came to a dead stop. A forest fire had caused the traffic jam. The temperature was fine and only got up to about 205 degrees. But my oil pressure started dropping and after we got past the fire & up to speed it was only at 25-30 psi. I figured I'd baby her home and see what the trouble was. I swapped out the oil filter and the psi went back to normal. But I had some noise in the engine comig from the front, I was thinking cyclinder 1. I checked the valves and when that didn't help. I took the car over to the machine shop and they tried replacing the valve rods, but found the sound was coming from the cyclinders.

So it looks like when the oil filter got mucked up, there wasn't enough lubrication getting to the cyclinder and the piston started scraping the wall. I wish I had thought about using my phone to take a pic.

They should have the motor back to me this week and I'll ask them what all they did.

But I figured i'd need to break her in again. Hence the quest for tips & tricks. Thanks LindenBruce & Lemon Owner I'll put your ideas to good use and probably change the filter a couple of times to be sure that noting is getting gummed up. Once burned ya know.

Car is back together and took first place in my class ... but just how many 1969 - 1970 convertibles do you think showed up? Just one .. Mine

[ATTACH]11331[/ATTACH][ATTACH]11332[/ATTACH][ATTACH]11333[/ATTACH]

Nice to have a win, but it's like winning a baseball game by default cause the other team didn't show up. Got another chance at a show this coming weekend.

Wish I could get my car over for touchups beforehand but doesn't look promising. I had a shop reinstall my engine for me and damnit if they didn't take a chunk out of my spoiler down to the fiberglass when pulling parts out of the trunk.

Hey Pac, You wrote earlier about my trunk beauty panels..

"Are the trunk panels modular and easily removable in case you need to access stuff, like the lifts for example? When I get around to doing mine I think I'm going to make hidden access panels like with the spring avtivated magnet catches they use on entertainment centers and stuff."

Well dopey me .. I was backing into a parking space and a light post jumped behind the car from NOWHERE! So I have to replace my bumper.

I was a little concerned about how hard it would be to take apart. I couldn't find any screws holding them in place so figured I'd yank on the cover over the tail light panel and low & behold it just popped off, so did the side panels. It's very easy access, if I ever need to replace another bumper, tail light or marker lights =) I'll see if I can get some pics when my phone charges up.

Congrats on the show. I remember when I had my '70 vert I would typically be the only one as well. I think I've only been to two shows where there was another '69/'70 vert other than mine.

The car looks great and the trunk area looks awesome. I'm curious what an install like that ran you. If you don't mind shoot me a PM.

Sorry for the run of bad luck but at least the machine shop covered the rebuild of the motor after all these years. That's great that they did that.

Hey Pac, You wrote earlier about my trunk beauty panels..

"Are the trunk panels modular and easily removable in case you need to access stuff, like the lifts for example? When I get around to doing mine I think I'm going to make hidden access panels like with the spring avtivated magnet catches they use on entertainment centers and stuff."

Well dopey me .. I was backing into a parking space and a light post jumped behind the car from NOWHERE! So I have to replace my bumper.

I was a little concerned about how hard it would be to take apart. I couldn't find any screws holding them in place so figured I'd yank on the cover over the tail light panel and low & behold it just popped off, so did the side panels. It's very easy access, if I ever need to replace another bumper, tail light or marker lights =) I'll see if I can get some pics when my phone charges up.

Hey good to know, but a big giant DOH on how you had to find out.

So I'll assume that you had the top up at the time since there are zero blind spots when it is down and I've never seen a post move that fast. :rolleyes:

I remember when I had my vert the blind spots were really bad when the top was up. I could never get my mirrors to adjust where I needed them to. Luckily the only thing I ever came in contact with was a the hitch on a small trailer that my back tire caught and wedged up inside the wheel well. Resulted in the whole rear quarter being repainted.

So everything is back together and have put over a thousand miles on the car, taken several awards at Macon, local shows and at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach. I figured it was time for an update.

I uploaded another video to Youtube .. If you can hang on through all the jumping words and when the music runs out... (not sure how to get more than 1 song off of youtube editor) .. I finally got a vid of the New Vintage gauges in action at the end of the vid :thumbup1:

Almost a year has passed since my last post on my 70. I've logged almost 5 thousand miles since the rebuild and can just about say I am done with my debugging.

I drove her from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach again this year for Mustang Week. Always the best week of the year! She placed Best 69/70 again this year. The competition is getting greater which I love! We still need to see more old school out there!

[ATTACH]14623[/ATTACH][ATTACH]14624[/ATTACH]

While I was there, my car was put on the front page of the local news paper! They got an action shot while I was hauling butt around the local oval track.

[ATTACH]14625[/ATTACH]

She drives great, leaks a little, but all in all a great Show/Driver. I did have an electrical gremlin pop up and Yes got towed..

[ATTACH]14626[/ATTACH]

It turned out my ignition wire had disconnected so wasn't getting fire to the coil. It was a simple fix and I was off tearing up the road again.

here's a vid of the oval track fun run:

Looking forward to more 69 & 70s being there next year!