Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

351 Windsors

How does one determine what vintage a 351 Windsor is? Where do I find the codes or casting numbers to determine what year it would be? I think it's from the 70's or early 80's as it has the Duraspark ignition.

It's in a 1953 F1 truck currently and the owner has no clue.

How does one determine what vintage a 351 Windsor is? Where do I find the codes or casting numbers to determine what year it would be? I think it's from the 70's or early 80's as it has the Duraspark ignition.

It's in a 1953 F1 truck currently and the owner has no clue.

On the underside of the block, just above the starter, is a casting code that starts with a letter (for the decade) and then a number for the specific year, a letter designating which car line it was designed for, what parts division the casting is for, then a 4 digit part identifier, followed by the design revision; e.g. E4AE-6150 FA is 1984 model year design, A is full size auto, E is for engine parts division, 6150 is an engine block, and FA is the engineering revision. The original C9OE casting was for the Fairlane (which had an "O" designation rather than the A for full size). The last block was the F4TE which was for the '94 model year trucks.

On the underside of the block, just above the starter, is a casting code that starts with a letter (for the decade) and then a number for the specific year, a letter designating which car line it was designed for, what parts division the casting is for, then a 4 digit part identifier, followed by the design revision; e.g. E4AE-6150 FA is 1984 model year design, A is full size auto, E is for engine parts division, 6150 is an engine block, and FA is the engineering revision. The original C9OE casting was for the Fairlane (which had an "O" designation rather than the A for full size). The last block was the F4TE which was for the '94 model year trucks.