Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Xenon, Hid and Halogens?

Just upgraded my wiring in my 1970. Now I am confused as to what choices I have to the types of lights.

What are the pros and cons of Xenon, Hid and Halogens? I have h4's with relays and 12g wiring so I am ready for the next step.

Just upgraded my wiring in my 1970. Now I am confused as to what choices I have to the types of lights.

What are the pros and cons of Xenon, Hid and Halogens? I have h4's with relays and 12g wiring so I am ready for the next step.

Xenon is just a "whiter" color.

HID is much more energy efficient (no need yo upgrade your wiring), and you have a choice regarding the color (How white/blue you want them).

Halogens are brighter, but require a lot of electricity and create a lot of heat.

Xenon is just a "whiter" color.

HID is much more energy efficient (no need yo upgrade your wiring), and you have a choice regarding the color (How white/blue you want them).

Halogens are brighter, but require a lot of electricity and create a lot of heat.

you can also check out the sylvania silverstar replacement bulbs, they are much brighter than standard halogen replacements and worlds better than stock sealed beams. they are also quite a bit cheaper than doing an H4 conversion too. that's what i'll be doing on my cougar, i've already done halogens on the stang but i also installed a new 70 model replacement headlight switch which seems to handle a good bit more voltage than the stock one did because the lights are much brighter after changing the switch and using the same bulbs

you can also check out the sylvania silverstar replacement bulbs, they are much brighter than standard halogen replacements and worlds better than stock sealed beams. they are also quite a bit cheaper than doing an H4 conversion too. that's what i'll be doing on my cougar, i've already done halogens on the stang but i also installed a new 70 model replacement headlight switch which seems to handle a good bit more voltage than the stock one did because the lights are much brighter after changing the switch and using the same bulbs

Haven't tried the Sylvania sealed beams but I can absolotely recommend the Delta H4 upgrades. I got a set from Mustangs Plus, tossed the blue tinted H4 "Xenon" bulbs that came with it (screams RICER :blink:) and put in a set of Phillips Pure White. What a difference in output compared to my old halogen sealed beams!

You have to smile at the Xenon labelleing, these are regular halogen units and thank god for that. They dont require high voltage cirquits, auto level adjustment and dont cost the $500 a real Xenon kit does.

Haven't tried the Sylvania sealed beams but I can absolotely recommend the Delta H4 upgrades. I got a set from Mustangs Plus, tossed the blue tinted H4 "Xenon" bulbs that came with it (screams RICER :blink:) and put in a set of Phillips Pure White. What a difference in output compared to my old halogen sealed beams!

You have to smile at the Xenon labelleing, these are regular halogen units and thank god for that. They dont require high voltage cirquits, auto level adjustment and dont cost the $500 a real Xenon kit does.

... I got a set from Mustangs Plus, tossed the blue tinted H4 "Xenon" bulbs that came with it (screams RICER :blink:) and put in a set of Phillips Pure White. What a difference in output compared to my old halogen sealed beams!

Fortunately the sound of my car alone will squelch any thoughts of a "ricer". Plus it's pretty hard to confuse a '69 Mach 1 for a Honda. I just can't make myself throw away a perfectly good, brand new, "ricer" blue bulb. But I appreciate the info, and maybe in a couple of years when I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of them, I'll try the Phillips Pure Whites.

... I got a set from Mustangs Plus, tossed the blue tinted H4 "Xenon" bulbs that came with it (screams RICER :blink:) and put in a set of Phillips Pure White. What a difference in output compared to my old halogen sealed beams!

Fortunately the sound of my car alone will squelch any thoughts of a "ricer". Plus it's pretty hard to confuse a '69 Mach 1 for a Honda. I just can't make myself throw away a perfectly good, brand new, "ricer" blue bulb. But I appreciate the info, and maybe in a couple of years when I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of them, I'll try the Phillips Pure Whites.

How BRIGHT can we go? I have entertained the thought of using off road lamps or spot-light type lamps. I dont care whether its legal or not, but has anyone heard of it being done?

it could probably be done but it could very easily cause someone to get hurt. if i'm ever around you at night remind me to be behind you

How BRIGHT can we go? I have entertained the thought of using off road lamps or spot-light type lamps. I dont care whether its legal or not, but has anyone heard of it being done?

it could probably be done but it could very easily cause someone to get hurt. if i'm ever around you at night remind me to be behind you