stangme428

69 coupe build

ok - so decided to take the 69 to tuners inc in jacksonville florida.... Tony is well known in the mustang and tuning world.... got educated on how to setup the carb as tony setup the demon 750 annular carb ... i didnt get the last pull on video, was shakin in my shoes.. the 3" exhaust and x-pipe screams at about 5800 rpm.. the audio on the video doesnt capture it... my buddy andy did take video as did another mustang bud ben... ill add more video later... still need to replace the demon 750 cam on the arm to get the transition tip in better.. holley parts ordering soon.. the numbers.. 426.30 hp and 403.48 torque i think it was at 5800 or less, rev limiter was set at 6200.. didnt hit it.. the blue smoke is oil pushed out of the valve cover breathers onto the exhaust... and the fan blowing it back under the car... freaked me out until we checked it...:punk: have some ideas about a valve cover breather catch can and filter... we shall see

run from ben's iphone

another view from my android

more video on the final pull when i have it.... good times!

Edited by stangme428

Stopped by and worked on the 69 for a few hours tonight after work.

Removed the dashpad, gauge cluster, and steering wheel...

Found a defect in the turn signal switch that was causing the passenger side brake light and turn signals to not work. I'll try to return the defective switch for credit and have a new one shipped out.. Wish me luck.. You can see by the photos that its a manufacturing defect..

Also installed the boost/vacuum gauge and the AEM wideband O2 air/fuel gauge in the a pillar gauge pod for a test fit. Now I need to find the mounting screw holes for the a pillar pieces on both sides..

Moved the boost/vacuum gauge out of the cluster and into the a pillar, installed the voltage gauge and replaced the fuel gauge with the correct ohm gauge... Somehow I ordered the fuel gauge for a Chevy...!argh!! Pics to follow....

Edited by stangme428
add photos

ok - hope everybody thats celebrating has a great Thanksgiving!:biggrin:

posted bud Andy's video of the chassis dyno pull..

also ordered a new turn signal switch from NPD, no feedback from Mustang Depot yet..

Edited by stangme428

Car sounds killer dude! Congrats!

ok - so decided to take the 69 to tuners inc in jacksonville florida.... Tony is well known in the mustang and tuning world.... got educated on how to setup the carb as tony setup the demon 750 annular carb ... i didnt get the last pull on video, was shakin in my shoes.. the 3" exhaust and x-pipe screams at about 5800 rpm.. the audio on the video doesnt capture it... my buddy andy did take video as did another mustang bud ben... ill add more video later... still need to replace the demon 750 cam on the arm to get the transition tip in better.. holley parts ordering soon.. the numbers.. 426.30 hp and 403.48 torque i think it was at 5800 or less, rev limiter was set at 6200.. didnt hit it.. the blue smoke is oil pushed out of the valve cover breathers onto the exhaust... and the fan blowing it back under the car... freaked me out until we checked it...:punk: have some ideas about a valve cover breather catch can and filter... we shall see

run from ben's iphone

another view from my android

more video on the final pull when i have it.... good times!

i purchased and installed a new scott drake turn signal switch from NPD ... mounted the front turn signals.... all brake lights, turn signals are working without any problems.. ill move to the LED sequential lights and backup lights when i have time to install.. i still need to call Mustang Depot .. my email to them from original invoice email, with pics of the defective turn signal switch didn't get a response..

need to finish up:

• arduino code for the gauge cluster lighting... makes early morning and night driving easier..lol
  • 3 point seatbelt install
  • lokar emergency brake
  • backup lights (LED)
  • license plate light solution (some type of led housing mod i'm thinking)
  • Vintage Aire crimp lines, install heat/ac control modification

then drive drive drive and take out a loan for gas .. :punk:

Edited by stangme428

wired in the new fuel gauge and voltage gauges ... put about 15 gallons of gas in the tank... should be a 22 gallon tank

• with key in engine not running 12v and 1/2 tank
  • with engine running 14+v and 3/4 tank

also installed the passenger side 3 point seat belts.... we will work on the driver side this week... ran out of time.. good stuff!! :punk:

ok so i wanted to do a test drive last night before driving it into work today.... well .. man it was great driving the 69 around... in traffic.. on the highway etc.. then 2 miles from the garage ... she shuts off... fuel pump is running, lights are still on bright, everything seems good... have good fuel gauge reading, have good voltage gauge reading.... coast over to a stop on the side of the road... no fire to the coil it seems.. a tow home and ill try to call mallory today... connected the laptop the maxfire distributor... connected fine, pulled the config, all looks good... wish it had an error log etc..

more to follow...

updates**

12/18/13 - spoke will Mallory support, they want me to send the dizzy back in for repairs ("will cost less than a new one"), say that all wires are soldered to the circuit board, and no voltage will be present on the coil until it is fired. so, i may borrow a hand held oscilloscope and troubleshoot before i send it off.

12/20/13 - borrowed an oscilloscope, hope to test next few days..

12/21/13 - troubleshot .. found burned trace on distributor circuit board... post 748 for pics

a few pics of her in the wild... and the dreaded call for help.. :punk:

Edited by stangme428
update status 12/21/13

Know the debugging stage well :no:

I had a similar issue where my ignition wire had just tugged out of the connector .. everything was absolutely fine .. then dead .. no volts to the coil .. my wiring looked fine but just couldn't tell the wire had pulled out just enough to break the connection.

ok -- found the problem, well the symptom... havent decided what i will do as of yet...

after checking for a signal to the coil with the scope, no output, we pulled the cap off, the button, and the cover to expose the circuit board... burned trace on the circuit board.... also noticed as we were taking the reluctor wheel off... all 4 screws were very very loose..

so.. no X mas driving or rides for the kids while home for the holiday... she will be covered up for now...

Edited by stangme428

Agree 100% but the loose screws COULD be the problem, Are any of the screw bosses grounded?

ah.. good call.. ill have to check it..!!

12/23/13 ah ... looks like the transistor thats connected to the trace thats burned is shorted out....

so i guess ill send it in...

Edited by stangme428
update info

so ... not much ongoing in the last few weeks... i shipped the MaxFire distributor off to Mallory the first week of 2014 and they received it on 12/7/14. im awaiting an email or call on the repair cost, or if it has been repaired etc. i requested a update on the ticket today 1/17 but it seems the repair facility is closed on Fridays.... odd:scared:

Mallory Max Fire update -- after receiving the repaired Mallory Max Fire distributor on 1/27/14 we finally had time to install it this weekend 2/1/14 - 2/2/14.. but with no success after many many hours... the Max Fire is fully programmable in that you can set your timing curve manually via a laptop, or with one of the 7 built in curves. we installed the distributor, connected the laptop, read the current settings from the unit, and were unable to upload a program either custom or the saved file that was last used before it died ... failed every time with the same error. basically it was unable to write all of the parameters to the unit. we tried, multiple laptops with and without com ports, different usb to serial cables, different operating systems, antivirus on/off.. every possible serial port setting.... using 12v power in the car, using the supplied 9v battery adapter... i even dug up the laptop and usb to serial adapter we originally used to program the unit... no luck...

talked with Mallory twice on 2/4/14 reviewed the steps taken and the error... they are working with me to resolve the issue... more than likely a new series distributor with ignition box that has comparable features... really wish this max fire series would work... more to follow... but the distributor is being shipped back again...

-- 2/7/14 shipped distributor back to Mallory

-- 2/12/14 interesting conversation with Mallory tech this morning, they tested with a handheld controller and had been able to read my "odd" settings. funny thing i couldnt set anything and after explaining to the tech the problem of being able to read but not write, the overall situation, and the memory stick i placed in the box with my paramaters... they stated they would test more and call me back... no call back as of 2/15/14

Edited by stangme428
update