stangme428

69 coupe build

ok,

so it begins, on 69stang.com anyway...

my project has started and stopped several times over the last 8 years. From a simple pro-motorsports shock tower reinforcement kit install, before they start cracking ..to lets install all the pro-motorsports equipment I can on the car and, while the motor is out, lets do a motor rebuild. Over eight years later and a failed attempt at a roller 5.0 twin turbo install and numerous project changes as well as job changes.... and we end up today. It seems sometimes a mustang must pass so other mustangs can be rejuvinated. Which means, I totaled my 96 Cobra hitting someone that ran a stop sign and will be taking the funds from the Cobra and building the 69 coupe.

I am posting a few before pics here to hopefully get input from others and share current modifications as well as future mods.

Stats:

69 champagne gold coupe - electric blue by previous owner

351W 2bbl - building 408 clevor stroker with AFD 2V alloy heads

PDB - rebuilt with mustangs plus parts

PS - rebuilt slave myself with kit from NPD

FMX - removed and replaced with AOD

9" 3:00 open - replaced with 69 date code 31 spline posi with 31 spline moser axles, daytona pinion support, 3:77 gear

standard interior- installed centre console from 69 cougar XR7, shelby lid, gauge pod

stock steering wheel- replaced with rimblow from cougar to be rebuilt

Mods:

promotorsports:bumpsteer kit, negative wedge kit,520 progressive coils, shock tower reinforcement kit

shelby drop, boxed in mustangs plus magna upper/lower arms. KYB Gas Adjust shocks, mustangs plus:4 1/2 rear leafs reverse eye 180lb,

racing shackles, weld in sfc's, vintage 48's 16x8's, poly& graphite bushings everywhere but front leafs and strut rod bushings replaced with stock rubber.

69_driver_side_one_sm.jpg

yep, I live in the woods with no garage at the moment.

69_driver_rear_one_sm.jpg

currently has a EFI 5.0 and AOD... not running. maier type bar/brace off of ebay.

69_hood_up_sm.jpg

Cant decide on a new colour as of yet... thinking of going with original champagne gold with vinyl top or calypso coral and vinyl top... either way with a Boss 302 C stripe and blacked out hood, headlight buckets and tail light panel.

a unclean interior shot...

69_pass_inside_one_sm.jpg

more to come...

Edited by stangme428

ok,

so it begins, on 69stang.com anyway...

my project has started and stopped several times over the last 8 years. From a simple pro-motorsports shock tower reinforcement kit install, before they start cracking ..to lets install all the pro-motorsports equipment I can on the car and, while the motor is out, lets do a motor rebuild. Over eight years later and a failed attempt at a roller 5.0 twin turbo install and numerous project changes as well as job changes.... and we end up today. It seems sometimes a mustang must pass so other mustangs can be rejuvinated. Which means, I totaled my 96 Cobra hitting someone that ran a stop sign and will be taking the funds from the Cobra and building the 69 coupe.

I am posting a few before pics here to hopefully get input from others and share current modifications as well as future mods.

Stats:

69 champagne gold coupe - electric blue by previous owner

351W 2bbl - building 408 clevor stroker with AFD 2V alloy heads

PDB - rebuilt with mustangs plus parts

PS - rebuilt slave myself with kit from NPD

FMX - removed and replaced with AOD

9" 3:00 open - replaced with 69 date code 31 spline posi with 31 spline moser axles, daytona pinion support, 3:77 gear

standard interior- installed centre console from 69 cougar XR7, shelby lid, gauge pod

stock steering wheel- replaced with rimblow from cougar to be rebuilt

Mods:

promotorsports:bumpsteer kit, negative wedge kit,520 progressive coils, shock tower reinforcement kit

shelby drop, boxed in mustangs plus magna upper/lower arms. KYB Gas Adjust shocks, mustangs plus:4 1/2 rear leafs reverse eye 180lb,

racing shackles, weld in sfc's, vintage 48's 16x8's, poly& graphite bushings everywhere but front leafs and strut rod bushings replaced with stock rubber.

69_driver_side_one_sm.jpg

yep, I live in the woods with no garage at the moment.

69_driver_rear_one_sm.jpg

currently has a EFI 5.0 and AOD... not running. maier type bar/brace off of ebay.

69_hood_up_sm.jpg

Cant decide on a new colour as of yet... thinking of going with original champagne gold with vinyl top or calypso coral and vinyl top... either way with a Boss 302 C stripe and blacked out hood, headlight buckets and tail light panel.

a unclean interior shot...

69_pass_inside_one_sm.jpg

more to come...

Edited by stangme428

nice looking coupe, are you sure you don't want to keep it blue? i'm fairly partial to blue myself, in fact your car looks a lot like mine as it sits and my 69 cougar will also look pretty similar when it's done as well

Thanks bnickel.. WOW! you have a nice 69 coupe! you have basically done all that I have remaining to do. That blue does look good, and the way the GT stripe accents the body lines.... nice. as you could imagine I have a million questions. but, I'll search the forum for your build first.

nice looking coupe, are you sure you don't want to keep it blue? i'm fairly partial to blue myself, in fact your car looks a lot like mine as it sits and my 69 cougar will also look pretty similar when it's done as well

Thanks bnickel.. WOW! you have a nice 69 coupe! you have basically done all that I have remaining to do. That blue does look good, and the way the GT stripe accents the body lines.... nice. as you could imagine I have a million questions. but, I'll search the forum for your build first.

That's a nice looking coupe there, man. I'm not big of the vinyl roof in general, but on this color, I think it looks awesome. With a fresh coat of that blue and a new (or restored) landau top, that thing will be beautiful.

That's a nice looking coupe there, man. I'm not big of the vinyl roof in general, but on this color, I think it looks awesome. With a fresh coat of that blue and a new (or restored) landau top, that thing will be beautiful.

Nice project. Love the house!

Thanks RacerX / R4K /bnickel - she needs lots of love and attention. I knew when I bought the cobra in 2000 she would fall to the wayside for a while, but its time to get her back on the road!

I am trying to find a local REPUTABLE Transmission shop (south GA / north FL) to either build my AOD or purchase an AOD from. The 418 Clevor will likely have in the area of 500hp/500 ft lb, so I need a AOD tranny that will hold up. I researched the Viper T56 swap that several have done, but I couldnt justify the cost for that 6th gear. I have also looked at TCI, B&M but I would like to be able to talk in person with the AOD builder. Maybe a false since of security by doing so.. dunno. On that note, has anbody used the Transmission Depot off of ebay? Their Demon AOD is rated at 550hp.

We are going to start off with a carb setup and eventually move to a EFI setup. Once I get the motor trany and supension setup complete I will move to EFI. I have a complete megasquirt setup ready to go on when the time comes. But by then their may be a aftermarket cost effective kit out... we will see.

also, looking at changing the interior over to deluxe door panels. Has anybody thought of brushed aluminum inserts like on the 67's instead of the wood grain from the 69 deluxe?

:biggrin:

racerx - thanks on the house.. southland log homes kit, we love it. just need to build a garage and somewhere to park the mustangs...

Nice project. Love the house!

Thanks RacerX / R4K /bnickel - she needs lots of love and attention. I knew when I bought the cobra in 2000 she would fall to the wayside for a while, but its time to get her back on the road!

I am trying to find a local REPUTABLE Transmission shop (south GA / north FL) to either build my AOD or purchase an AOD from. The 418 Clevor will likely have in the area of 500hp/500 ft lb, so I need a AOD tranny that will hold up. I researched the Viper T56 swap that several have done, but I couldnt justify the cost for that 6th gear. I have also looked at TCI, B&M but I would like to be able to talk in person with the AOD builder. Maybe a false since of security by doing so.. dunno. On that note, has anbody used the Transmission Depot off of ebay? Their Demon AOD is rated at 550hp.

We are going to start off with a carb setup and eventually move to a EFI setup. Once I get the motor trany and supension setup complete I will move to EFI. I have a complete megasquirt setup ready to go on when the time comes. But by then their may be a aftermarket cost effective kit out... we will see.

also, looking at changing the interior over to deluxe door panels. Has anybody thought of brushed aluminum inserts like on the 67's instead of the wood grain from the 69 deluxe?

:biggrin:

racerx - thanks on the house.. southland log homes kit, we love it. just need to build a garage and somewhere to park the mustangs...

you'll find some stuff in the forum but mostly what you saw in my gallery is about all there is to see. i can answer any questions you have about it including how much i'll take for it :biggrin: since it is for sale at the moment. it was my first car and i can tell you everything that has been done or happened to it since late 1984......damn i'm old

you'll find some stuff in the forum but mostly what you saw in my gallery is about all there is to see. i can answer any questions you have about it including how much i'll take for it :biggrin: since it is for sale at the moment. it was my first car and i can tell you everything that has been done or happened to it since late 1984......damn i'm old

OK,

My order from Aus Ford Parts are on the way. Lawrence at Aus Ford Parts put me together a 408 forged rotating assembly with H beam rods and forged pistons to fit the AFD 2V 64cc heads. I ordered the completed heads. tranny selection as well as cam selection are next. I am stuck between building a early AOD or going the T56 route. The AOD route is cheaper but a viper spec T56 may live longer.

:tongue_smilie:

ok, I need some help finding a shop within 1-2 hours away that is reputable. I'm in south ga about 40 minutes west from the coast. I'm looking into Don Berry's classics in Jacksonville, FL .. but I cant seem to schedule a meeting/time to drop by and I found a bad story on cardomain.com. SO, Im back to square one looking for a shop to paint and a little body work.

I also posted in the photochop section for some help with changing the color on my car to calypso coral with the boss 302 treatment...:helpsmilie:

A little progress .... SCAT forged stroker kit arrived, hope to have it at the machine shop next week 10.13.08 so they can finish the 69' 351W block. Interesting that the crank balance sheet shows internally balanced.

AFD 2V 64cc heads are on the way as of Friday 10.10.08 .... Also purchased a used Viper T56 with Quick Time bell housing. I'm researching the T56 installation kits with hydraulic clutch setup from D&D Performance, Autoworks International and modern driveline.

Still trying to decide on a color.... the current electric blue or dark blue (vista blue ?) is winning at the moment.

Edited by stangme428
hyd kit research edit

wow! long time since a post.. so .. note to self ... plan better! dont order parts during sema...

OK... the engine build is way over budget and over built in a few areas.

Key items to note:

• pistons were 30K out of the block so 20K were removed. no valve clearance problems. 69' date code block
  • rattler dampner
  • modern driveline T56 kit -157 tooth 0 balance flywheel
  • rotating assembly balanced
  • moly push rods measured today 12.16.08 -8.45- and to be ordered
  • manley 3/8 guide plates, arp 7/16 studs
  • comp cams 1330-16 1.7 roller rockers
  • ARP head stud kit
  • comp cams 35-462-8 304HR cam
  • canton road race oil pan, crank scraper, main girdle support
  • valley girdle support

so why is the motor taking so long? i live 2 hours from the machine shop that's in Jacksonville, fl. i work in Jacksonville two long hopefully productive days a week. doing research and more research.. only have one shot to build it correctly.

more info and pics to come!!

Edited by stangme428

69 coupe is an original 351W FMX/Auto, so I need everything to convert to manual trans.

T56 update-

ordering the following parts from Modern Driveline:

MD-LBS157-00 Flywheel, LBS, Ford, 157 Tooth 0 balance w/option for bolt on weights

MD-403-1001 Bolt kit, Flywheel, 7/16", Ford/Chevy (set of 6)

MD-403-1003 Pressure plate bolt kit, 8mm (set of 6)

MD-KK7-426 Clutch Set, Kevlar/Kevlar, 26 spline, 1-1/8", Cable T/O, pilot,

alignment tool.

MD-514-14-301 Hydraulic, slave cylinder assy with steel collar, Viper

MD-75-750U Master Cylinder, Tilton, 3/4" bore, Remote reservoirs

MD-6773M-CMT56 Crossmember Kit 67-73 Mustang T56

with Polyurethane mount

MD-601-1350-30 Slip yoke, 30 spline, 1350 U-joint, Viper T-56

ATF Oil, ATF, Amsoil 1 quart bottle

MD-504-1057 Shift ball, Hurst 6 speed, white 3/8-16

MD-504-1040 Shift lever, Hurst, Chrome, Classic style (65-68 Mustang)

10x5.5x1.3

MD-504-1060-H Boot, Shift, Hurst, B-4 Boot & Plate - Comes complete with chrome trim plate and all mounting hardware.

MD-402-6970M-C Clutch pedal, 69-70 Mustang/Cougar

interesting adventure with UPS on the trans shipment. it was shipped in a transmission specific shipping box. arrived with no staples and taped together with no wooden slats on bottom. went thru the wringer, but survived.:shifty:

for all the 351 clevor builders out in the world... wondering what push rod length people end up with, i ended up with comp cams 3/8 - 8.45 push rods.

also, should end up @ 11.1 on the comp ratio with the flat top pistons with canted valve relief ... the AFD heads are super efficient so we will see how the test and tune ends up with different octane fuels. would love to get this motor on an engine dyno .. but cant seem to locate one .. and when i do... its down for repairs.. shooting for 500hp/500tq btw...

block mod for valves? no you say.... well ... yes if you look at the SVO head gaskets the block is .. clearanced... machined etc... at the bore where the valve gets near the block. seems they are also done the same on a cleveland block.

the engine builder had to message the melling oil pump and canton crank scraper in order to get the main girdle, crank scraper and oil pan to fit. seems odd since it was ordered as a complete... expensive...kit from Canton... but oh well. when you build something different ... modification come out of the wood work..:hammer:

i hope everyone has a great holiday!

:santa:

Edited by stangme428

Hey Stangme428 !

I am looking at doing the clevor mod to my 351w. What pistons did you use? I am looking at the KB110 (Flat top) with the Edelbrock intake. Also you mention that the block needed some machining as well as the heads. Do you know what it (The block) needed? I was of the understanding that you only needed to drill 3 holes (2 - 1/2" and 1- 5/16") in each side of the block.

Thanks for any info you can send my way. ie part #'s and any roadblocks you had.

Thank You !!

flight96,

you are correct on the holes being needed. there is a long thread on ford muscle dot com about the cleveland blocks with reliefs cut into the top of the bores from the factory. so when you install cleveland heads on a windsor block you do the same. ill try and find some pics. its not that much just dont go below the top ring height. some use the head gasket as a template.

as for the pistons, i have a set of KB110's i didn't use that may be for sale. i ended up going with a complete stroker kit with forged srp pistons, scat h beam rods and scat forged crank. i purchased them from aus ford parts dot com.

i plan on doing a complete write up after the holidays. im sitting down with the engine builder for pictures and noting all the items he did for the clevor build.

a good bit of information all over the web. so i just want to document my build of a clevor 408.... next up after the engine build.. is mounting the Viper T56.

I would love to see those pics. As for the pistons, if you do end up wanting to sell them let me know. I am definitely interested. I found a set of 2v heads and it looks like Edelbrock has a complete gasket set (Part # 7347) as well as their intake. I am quite pumped about doing the Clevor build.

Again if you decide to sell them KB110's, just send me a PM.

Thanks !!!