stangme428

69 coupe build

soooo ... did a mock up on the tommyzee subframe connectors last night 10/28/14 to determine if the roll bar mount idea will work... and it looks like it will... the goal is to remove the plate the roll bar mount uses and replace it with 1/8" steel plate along with gussets welded to the subframe connectors.. this will tie the roll bar into the subframe, hopefully making a better mount strengthening the entire area and car overall.... contemplating making some door bars similar to the tigercage and welding into the front torque boxes... we shall see.. but for now... time to find some steel plate and fire up the plasma cutter and welder!! good times! once the welding is done, the subframe connectors along with the Vintage Air AC brackets are headed for powder coating!

the pics are showing the tommyzee subframe connectors somewhat in place to make sure they would not interfere with the transmission mount and the cal-tracs... time to clean up underneath the car to get rid of some surface rust and coat it with some bed liner etc.

soooo ... did a mock up on the tommyzee subframe connectors last night 10/28/14 to determine if the roll bar mount idea will work... and it looks like it will... the goal is to remove the plate the roll bar mount uses and replace it with 1/8" steel plate along with gussets welded to the subframe connectors.. this will tie the roll bar into the subframe, hopefully making a better mount strengthening the entire area and car overall.... contemplating making some door bars similar to the tigercage and welding into the front torque boxes... we shall see.. but for now... time to find some steel plate and fire up the plasma cutter and welder!! good times! once the welding is done, the subframe connectors along with the Vintage Air AC brackets are headed for powder coating!

the pics are showing the tommyzee subframe connectors somewhat in place to make sure they would not interfere with the transmission mount and the cal-tracs... time to clean up underneath the car to get rid of some surface rust and coat it with some bed liner etc.

woo hooo -- been out of pocket for a while, working on other projects, work, life .... etc etc ... 

a few updates:

- status - been driving the car as much as the weather will allow.. to get used to the steering, suspension, shifting, etc etc. she handles great... way better than expected... the rear isnt moving around when taking corners or on ramps at speed.. car feels very solid.. i have not found the limits yet, im waiting for a controlled environment first... :-) it elicits the correct response from passengers.. lots of smiles and expletives... :-) she handles great! even at low speed... much unlike the modified suspension on my 96 cobra.. which was great the faster you got.. the 69 feels great at low speed and higher speeds!! similar to my 87' 325i and 95 525i but much better ... yes i compared my modified 69 suspension to late eighties and mid 90's bmw's... its all i have to compare to.. loved my cobra till its death!! 

- wheels - definitely replacing the front wheels and tires with a 8" wide wheel and a 245-255 18" tire. with the current width and the Vintage Venom front 14" kit - at the least you need to roll the wheel lips and modify the front valance... i knew this but didn't take the time to do it .... and shaved the tires some and pulled out the lip on the fender and lower valence ... i also need to check the lock to lock stop on the rack to make sure i get the full turning radius.  items needed for frequent driving. looking at some 18x8 for the front and 18x10 for the rear..... live and learn.. that's the fun..

- sub-frame connectors - haven't moved forward with these after the test fit... time time time... isn't always on my side.. still planning on welding bracing to the sub-frame and brackets for bolting to the roll bar mounts. haven't made it by the powder coater as of yet... waiting for some final mock up and welding..

- AC - haven't had the AC lines crimped yet... time time time...

- speedo and T56 - out of laziness and time, i ordered a Auto Meter GPS speedometer interface module model 5289 today 2/14/15 from amazon. lots of great info on the interwebs on how to modify the connection on the T56 to work with aftermarket speedometers... just haven't done it and i plan on changing tires and gears so .. gonna try some 'tronics for a solution.

- LED gauge cluster - while the code is done and ready for input ... i haven't found a mounting location i like that will have easy access for connectivity... for some reason i think i will need it.. just to tinker. guess i need to make a bracket at the bottom of the dash to hold the din rail mounts...

just enjoying the car some as i have time..... Dad is still fighting his battle with pancreatic cancer, day by day... glad we are still able to spend some time with him!

post-4604-0-65814800-1423932676.jpg

Hopefully just thinking about your car can give your mind some ease from your Dad's condition. You can always spend time with your car. Enjoy the time with your Dad. But you already knew this. Best wishes to your family.

Thanks RPM - yes, i have been spending time with my Dad... we have been on two road trips together... one was 3 hours one way and the other was 9+ hours one way.... we are still taking it day by day... and some days are better than others... he has been off of chemotherapy for two weeks while they test his bladder for a spot.... but he has outlived his 2-3 month diagnoses and has been fighting for over a year.

im not gonna say it wasnt discouraging when all of my site photos went away... ill have to look at the code on each page and try to figure out the photos i posted...over the last 5 years...

post-4604-0-64709700-1433119850.jpg

here is a shot of the 69 with a farm down the road...

hope everyone is doing great! time for me to check out some projects and catch up to whats going on!!

I have some to be installed but i have not installed them...would like to make the scoops functional also ... to cool the rear brakes.. 

same idea, i have the screens but they need trimming, but also trying to figure out a way to make them functional. 

Back to making a few mods to the 69 ... been a while but... a Holley Sniper EFI setup has been installed.  so i have a mighty Demon 750 annular carb for sale.  I will be moving to the Holley dualsync distributor and Digital6+ at a later date.  The dualsync /Digital6+ will replace my Mallory MaxFire distributor and coil setup.

Currently the Holley Sniper EFI is running great, one of the best mods i have ever done.