Sign in to follow this  
frosty8

electric vs. mechanical fuel pump

My car currently has an electric fuel pump but I hate the noise and am thinking about going back to mechanical...will this cause issues with how the car runs?

Car has a modified 302 with about 350 horse, power rac (TCP) and no AC.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

My car currently has an electric fuel pump but I hate the noise and am thinking about going back to mechanical...will this cause issues with how the car runs?

Car has a modified 302 with about 350 horse, power rac (TCP) and no AC.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I hate electric fuel pumps on cars not designed for them. put a stock mechanical on a toss all the electric stuff, it won't change a thing in the way your car runs because all the pump does is get gas to the float bowl.

I hate electric fuel pumps on cars not designed for them. put a stock mechanical on a toss all the electric stuff, it won't change a thing in the way your car runs because all the pump does is get gas to the float bowl.

Was looking at Summitt pumps and there is a 80 GPH and a 110 GPH any idea which would work better?

Also, if I take the block out will everything be there to reconnect the mechanical pump or is there a part I will need?

Thanks again

Was looking at Summitt pumps and there is a 80 GPH and a 110 GPH any idea which would work better?

Also, if I take the block out will everything be there to reconnect the mechanical pump or is there a part I will need?

Thanks again

yeah ditch that thing, havign a mechanical fuel pump saved my ass. I chucked the alternator belt doin a 6500 rpm burnout at the track and still made another run and 30 minutes home. If i had an electronic pump I don't think I would have made it home w/o my alternator.

yeah ditch that thing, havign a mechanical fuel pump saved my ass. I chucked the alternator belt doin a 6500 rpm burnout at the track and still made another run and 30 minutes home. If i had an electronic pump I don't think I would have made it home w/o my alternator.

You should be able to go to any parts house and get a pump, volume should be no issue since they'll all put out enough gas to flood most engines.

The only parts you'll need is the correct length bolts and whatever it takes for fuel lines, if your hard line from the pump to the carb is gone I'd use steel tube to at least get to the top of the block. I don't like weaving rubber hose through all the brackets.

You should be able to go to any parts house and get a pump, volume should be no issue since they'll all put out enough gas to flood most engines.

The only parts you'll need is the correct length bolts and whatever it takes for fuel lines, if your hard line from the pump to the carb is gone I'd use steel tube to at least get to the top of the block. I don't like weaving rubber hose through all the brackets.

i hope the fuel pump eccentric is still there or switching to a mechanical pump isn't going to be a fun job since you'll have to tear the whole front of the motor apart, pull the harmonic balancer and timing cover just to install a new one. hopefully you'll get lucky and whoever added the electric pump just removed the stock one and added the electric. i've actually seen it where people rebuilt an engine but forgot the eccentric and just added the electric pump to keep from tearing the front of the motor down to replace it.

i hope the fuel pump eccentric is still there or switching to a mechanical pump isn't going to be a fun job since you'll have to tear the whole front of the motor apart, pull the harmonic balancer and timing cover just to install a new one. hopefully you'll get lucky and whoever added the electric pump just removed the stock one and added the electric. i've actually seen it where people rebuilt an engine but forgot the eccentric and just added the electric pump to keep from tearing the front of the motor down to replace it.

I had the same set up as yours when I first got my Stang. Mechanical pump is much better and more reliable. Like Bnickel said, check inside that hole where the fuel pump mounts to make sure the eccentric ring is installed. The idiot who had my car installed the wrong style timing gear which allowed the eccentric bolt to come out and nearly tore the whole engine apart.

I recently installed the Edelbrock 110gph after trying the Summit equivalent. Maybe I just got a lemon but the threads for the outlet fuel line on the Summit were too thin/short and the banjo fitting always leaked. Which by the way, you will also need to order the correct fitting at the outlet plus fuel line. Go to Edelbrock.com also for good pics and descriptions. They don't sell their stuff so you will end up back at Summit for pricing. I also liked the positioning of the inlet/outlet ports on the Edelbrock vs. the Summit.

I had the same set up as yours when I first got my Stang. Mechanical pump is much better and more reliable. Like Bnickel said, check inside that hole where the fuel pump mounts to make sure the eccentric ring is installed. The idiot who had my car installed the wrong style timing gear which allowed the eccentric bolt to come out and nearly tore the whole engine apart.

I recently installed the Edelbrock 110gph after trying the Summit equivalent. Maybe I just got a lemon but the threads for the outlet fuel line on the Summit were too thin/short and the banjo fitting always leaked. Which by the way, you will also need to order the correct fitting at the outlet plus fuel line. Go to Edelbrock.com also for good pics and descriptions. They don't sell their stuff so you will end up back at Summit for pricing. I also liked the positioning of the inlet/outlet ports on the Edelbrock vs. the Summit.

I have a I wanna say 130 but maybe it was the 110 you guys were talking about, edelbrock pump with my fuel pressure regulator, and it works great. It feeds my 400hp 393 just fine, never had a problem.

I have a I wanna say 130 but maybe it was the 110 you guys were talking about, edelbrock pump with my fuel pressure regulator, and it works great. It feeds my 400hp 393 just fine, never had a problem.

One of your questions was whether to get the 80gph or 110gph model of fuel pump. My guess is the gph stands for gallons per hour. This assumes the pump is running wide open, how much fuel can it pump on a continuous basis. The 80gph model is over 1 gallon per minute, so unless you are runnign a dragster I cannot imagine ever needing anything more.

Sometimes the higher capacity models of things mean it is in general a better and more robust part. But maybe not? I still have the original Ford one in my car after 42 years and 180,000 miles. I would say whatever the original one is should work fine.

Have all the details for your engine combination, then call Summit or Jegs and see what they recommend. (I normally call both just to see if their recommendations match.) Also, check what the recommended fuel pressure is for your carb, then get a fuel pump that is close to that. Some pumps say they don't need a regulator in the desciption, but in reality, your car would run better with the regulator. If your fuel pump has more pressure than what is recommended for the carb, you may need a fuel pressure regulator. Without the regulator, you will probably run rich.

I'm going through that right now. I bought a Carter high volume fuel pump to replace a bad pump that was on my car when I bought it. Well, my pressure is still too high even after adjusting the carb, so I'm putting a Holley regulator on this weekend if the "honey do list" allows.

Edited by jholmes217

Thanks again

Do you have a 60's motor or a motor from an 80s mustang? If its an 80s one you'll have to switch out the timing covers so you have the mount for the mechanical fuel pump.