Sign in to follow this  
neverhit

Rear Axle Seal Leaking

My passenger side was leaking so I changed it by pulling out the axle and pressing in a new seal ~1.36" ID. There was a very slight polished zone on the axle shaft itself and the seal seems to be holding, no new oil leaking. Then I thought, since I was dirty anyway, to do the driver side. Two things were different. There was a ring pressed on the axle just next to the bearing (not sure what this is or if it's supposed to be there), and there was some silicone seal applied to the outer edge of teh seal in there. I pulled it and replaced it with the same seal as the passenger side, but now have a major leak on the driver side. There was slightly more grooving on the axle. If I try to use one of the sleeves, are there special seals for this? Should I put RTV sealant around the seal OD. I test fitted the seals and they appeared snug, not tight on the axle. I appreciate any help.

My passenger side was leaking so I changed it by pulling out the axle and pressing in a new seal ~1.36" ID. There was a very slight polished zone on the axle shaft itself and the seal seems to be holding, no new oil leaking. Then I thought, since I was dirty anyway, to do the driver side. Two things were different. There was a ring pressed on the axle just next to the bearing (not sure what this is or if it's supposed to be there), and there was some silicone seal applied to the outer edge of teh seal in there. I pulled it and replaced it with the same seal as the passenger side, but now have a major leak on the driver side. There was slightly more grooving on the axle. If I try to use one of the sleeves, are there special seals for this? Should I put RTV sealant around the seal OD. I test fitted the seals and they appeared snug, not tight on the axle. I appreciate any help.

Both outer bearings should have the lock ring, called the wedding ring, it's what makes sure your axle stays in the housing.

I'd guess you either damaged the new seal when you put the axle back in or you have enough scoreing on the axle that it chewed up the new seal. if you have a 28 spline axle and you probably do a good used axle shouldn't be hard to find or expensive. 8" and 9" ford rears use the same axles as long as it's the same width housing and 8" are a dime a dozen. the sleeve might work ok I've never used one.

Both outer bearings should have the lock ring, called the wedding ring, it's what makes sure your axle stays in the housing.

I'd guess you either damaged the new seal when you put the axle back in or you have enough scoreing on the axle that it chewed up the new seal. if you have a 28 spline axle and you probably do a good used axle shouldn't be hard to find or expensive. 8" and 9" ford rears use the same axles as long as it's the same width housing and 8" are a dime a dozen. the sleeve might work ok I've never used one.

Thank you for the feedback, is the 'lock ring' the bolted on plate (I have both of those) or is it the ring that is also pressed on the axle shaft behind the bearing? I am not sure because one axle had the extra ring and the other one (passenger) didn't. Do you know if left and right are the same length?

Thank you for the feedback, is the 'lock ring' the bolted on plate (I have both of those) or is it the ring that is also pressed on the axle shaft behind the bearing? I am not sure because one axle had the extra ring and the other one (passenger) didn't. Do you know if left and right are the same length?

The lock ring is pressed on behind the bearing, you'd probably never slip the bearing on the axle anyway but it make sure you don't.

the axles are a different length so you have to get the right or left which ever one it is you need. 8" and 9" 28 spline axles will interchange so you shouldn't have a problem finding one. Mustangs and Cougars used 3 diffeent widths over the years so you just have to make sure you get the right one.

The lock ring is pressed on behind the bearing, you'd probably never slip the bearing on the axle anyway but it make sure you don't.

the axles are a different length so you have to get the right or left which ever one it is you need. 8" and 9" 28 spline axles will interchange so you shouldn't have a problem finding one. Mustangs and Cougars used 3 diffeent widths over the years so you just have to make sure you get the right one.