Sign in to follow this  
hammerit

Blower motor squeak

My blower motor squeaks. Its worse at the two lower speeds and usually disappears on high speed. Is it more likely to be the motor or the blower wheel. The squeak sometimes changes when I go around a corner, as if the "squirrel cage" is moving around on the motor shaft changing the sound of the squeak. Whats involved in replacing the motor and/or the blower wheel. I have factory air. I have managed to virtually eliminate all rattles and squeaks from my car and now this one is driving me nuts. Thanks

All that is needed to fix it is a hacksaw. Crawl under the car and locate the mufflers...... In all seriousness though, the blower motor/heater/cooler setup was not very difficult to remove when I took mine out. Just a couple of bolts near the firewall. If you're taking it apart though it may be worth it to rebuild the entire unit while it's out.

-Steve

All that is needed to fix it is a hacksaw. Crawl under the car and locate the mufflers...... In all seriousness though, the blower motor/heater/cooler setup was not very difficult to remove when I took mine out. Just a couple of bolts near the firewall. If you're taking it apart though it may be worth it to rebuild the entire unit while it's out.

-Steve

Mustangs are nothing like that.

You have to remove the whole assembly from under/behind the dash. It's a PITA.

Mustangs are nothing like that.

You have to remove the whole assembly from under/behind the dash. It's a PITA.

My dash was already apart so wasn't really that big of a PITA for me. What's it take to pull the dash? screws on top and bolts on the underlying frame, I can see where the steering column could be a bitch but it's not all that complicated. And technically, last time I checked blower assembly does mount to the firewall, it being behind the dash is just what makes it a PITA right?

-Steve

My dash was already apart so wasn't really that big of a PITA for me. What's it take to pull the dash? screws on top and bolts on the underlying frame, I can see where the steering column could be a bitch but it's not all that complicated. And technically, last time I checked blower assembly does mount to the firewall, it being behind the dash is just what makes it a PITA right?

-Steve

Yes, and it is tangled up in all the AC crap.

it's not all that hard on an AC car, if you are a contortionist. i've done it without having to remove the dash a couple times, you just have be able to squeeze into tight places. if you can get under the dash to see where the blower motor is, it's basically right behind the ac/heater controls and radio, use a nut driver to remove the 4 screws holding it in and unplug it then wrangle it out and reverse the process to install the new one. it's not real easy but it's a lot less work than removing the entire dash. you do have to remove the dash to change the heater core though, so just hope you don't ever have to do that.

Thanks for all the input. Until I fix it, turning the stereo up gets rid of the squeak. Does it matter if the new motor has two wires or three? One I found has two wires and says the three wire motor is unavailable. I have yet to crawl under my dash to see if I can tell if mine is a two or three.