Sign in to follow this  
ArcticCat

Is it a grande?

The coupe I now own, I notice a series of holes along the base of the roof line where it meets the quarter panel. The holes are about 1/4 big, Im guessing it was for the molding that held the vinyl top down...

So my question is, did only the Grande's come with vinyl tops or was this an option for coupes (hard tops). If its a grande, is this stated in the Vin ? Or is it a door plate option code? (The doors on my car are not original...)

Ken

The vinyl top was on option on standard Coupes and Grandes, though the majority of Grandes got it. For '69 the Grande package does not decode in the vin like it does in '70. Door data plate would be 65E for the Grande package. Does it have the woodgrain interior, including the inner 1/4 trim. The woodgrain interior 1/4 trim was part of the Grande package only.

the interior is gone for the most part, Russ started collecting new parts, so I have no idea what it had.

I have gone through the process of getting the build sheet via Ford Corporate (999 Report).

so, I guess in a month or two I'll have a better idea, I believe it shows what package it had when it left the doors of the dearborn plant.

oh, and by the way, if it did come with a top, it will look like your cars twin... It was originally Lime Gold too... Just a 302 though... Ken

Ken

the interior is gone for the most part, Russ started collecting new parts, so I have no idea what it had.

I have gone through the process of getting the build sheet via Ford Corporate (999 Report).

so, I guess in a month or two I'll have a better idea, I believe it shows what package it had when it left the doors of the dearborn plant.

oh, and by the way, if it did come with a top, it will look like your cars twin... It was originally Lime Gold too... Just a 302 though... Ken

Ken

my GT coupe was also a twin but i like the acapulco blue much better, personally

I would be interested to know if my 69 coupe is a GT

similar options as yours .. but with a 3.00 rear... 351W 2v with hood scoop.

I wrote Ford customer service back in 99 trying to find out if mine was a GT ... I have been told by different mustang guys ... that the size of the front sway bar is the tale tale sign ... big block 1" sway bar on a small block... factory or dealer GT? dunno...anyway customer service sent back the normal build information from the vin but they also sent nice information on the build... i couldn't find a build sheet in the car.

built on 1/31/69 with champagne gold exterior paint, nugget gold vinyl bucket seats, black vinyl top with glass backlite, automatic FMX-type transmission, non-locking rear axle, E78x14 wide oval tires, white sidewalls, power steering, power disc brakes, manual A/C, AM radio, complete tinted glass, left and right hand racing mirrors and full wheel covers.

I also took a chance and wrote to the name and address on the warranty card still in the glove box... the original owner wrote me back with the history of the car and the only photo she had of her car.... what surprised me besides all the info was the cost of the car ... "the car was discounted from 3,700 to 3,200. Our total cost was 3,304.62" seems like that should have been the cost of a Mach1 ....

... sorry for the long post ...

is there a faq on how to tell if a 69 coupe is a GT?

I would be interested to know if my 69 coupe is a GT

similar options as yours .. but with a 3.00 rear... 351W 2v with hood scoop.

I wrote Ford customer service back in 99 trying to find out if mine was a GT ... I have been told by different mustang guys ... that the size of the front sway bar is the tale tale sign ... big block 1" sway bar on a small block... factory or dealer GT? dunno...anyway customer service sent back the normal build information from the vin but they also sent nice information on the build... i couldn't find a build sheet in the car.

built on 1/31/69 with champagne gold exterior paint, nugget gold vinyl bucket seats, black vinyl top with glass backlite, automatic FMX-type transmission, non-locking rear axle, E78x14 wide oval tires, white sidewalls, power steering, power disc brakes, manual A/C, AM radio, complete tinted glass, left and right hand racing mirrors and full wheel covers.

I also took a chance and wrote to the name and address on the warranty card still in the glove box... the original owner wrote me back with the history of the car and the only photo she had of her car.... what surprised me besides all the info was the cost of the car ... "the car was discounted from 3,700 to 3,200. Our total cost was 3,304.62" seems like that should have been the cost of a Mach1 ....

... sorry for the long post ...

is there a faq on how to tell if a 69 coupe is a GT?

Hmmm .. after reading since my last post... seems that every option a 69 GT came with was also available separately.. oh well... guess mine is not a GT just a coupe with a few options.

no, the dual exhaust with quad tips (351 4v and up only, not available on 351-2v) was only available on mach 1 and GT, hood scoop with lock pins also only available on mach 1 and GT, though you could get the scoop with other option packages, styled steel wheel with GT center caps only available on GT, pop open gas cap with GT emblem and 69 only gear tooth pattern available only on GT, GT rocker stripes available only on GT. the heavy duty/comp suspension was standard on GT but available on mach 1 and visibility group was standard on GT as well but was an available option across the line.

almost every other option available for 69 mustang was available for GT as well with few exceptions like hubcaps, or model specific options like grande and mach 1. you could get deluxe interior, tachometer, console, disc brakes, power steering, ac, tilt-away steering, intermittent wipers, rear defogger, etc. you could literally make a GT the most loaded mustang in the lineup and cost more than any other, with the possible exception of the Boss '9, it was fairly easy o make one cost as much as a shelby though.

Hmmm .. after reading since my last post... seems that every option a 69 GT came with was also available separately.. oh well... guess mine is not a GT just a coupe with a few options.

no, the dual exhaust with quad tips (351 4v and up only, not available on 351-2v) was only available on mach 1 and GT, hood scoop with lock pins also only available on mach 1 and GT, though you could get the scoop with other option packages, styled steel wheel with GT center caps only available on GT, pop open gas cap with GT emblem and 69 only gear tooth pattern available only on GT, GT rocker stripes available only on GT. the heavy duty/comp suspension was standard on GT but available on mach 1 and visibility group was standard on GT as well but was an available option across the line.

almost every other option available for 69 mustang was available for GT as well with few exceptions like hubcaps, or model specific options like grande and mach 1. you could get deluxe interior, tachometer, console, disc brakes, power steering, ac, tilt-away steering, intermittent wipers, rear defogger, etc. you could literally make a GT the most loaded mustang in the lineup and cost more than any other, with the possible exception of the Boss '9, it was fairly easy o make one cost as much as a shelby though.

black vinyl top with glass backlite,

Hmmm, does your windshield VIN match the numbers on the door and the inner driverside fender? The above description sounds more like that of a convertible not a coupe.

black vinyl top with glass backlite,

Hmmm, does your windshield VIN match the numbers on the door and the inner driverside fender? The above description sounds more like that of a convertible not a coupe.

I was wondering what the backlite description was, but yeah all the numbers match up from the door, dash, fender. It does read like a convert, but its not....

I was wondering what the backlite description was, but yeah all the numbers match up from the door, dash, fender. It does read like a convert, but its not....