Sign in to follow this  
cphsonic

1969 Mustang GT2 project

If you did the AJE just as a rip & replace it's not too tricky I think, but in this build the engine is also moved 2" back and 1-2" down. Makes for some interesting issues with the rack & pinion etc. But still a reasonable amount of hours, allthough by some experienced guys that have done it a few times before.

Progress pics! This time the 363 long block and T-56 tranny being test fitted. Had a fault in the World block casting and one ear broke off with very low torque on the tranny-to-block bolt! :blink: Welded back in place, NP warranty by Total Performance.

th_2008_1117_043429.jpg th_2008_1118_022922.jpg

Also have the subframe connectors welded into the floors. Once connected to the 8 point roll bar this is going to be VERY stiff! :tongue_smilie:

th_2008_1119_101150.jpg th_2008_1119_101203.jpg th_2008_1119_113622.jpg

th_2008_1119_081315.jpg th_2008_1119_113735.jpg

Too much time, 3 emblems, a hobby knife and some black epoxy:

:shifty:

2008_1201_174720small.jpg

LOL, well that's one way to build a custom emblem I guess, nice work. So did you have to use part of a 390 upside down for the 6?

:tongue: It's made from 2 302's and one 460.

More pics. Rear wheels came back from widening. Damn nice work by Vaughns Machine in LA. Notice how little weights was needed to balance it out! Ride height not set in these pix:

th_DSC_0036.jpg th_DSC_0035.jpg th_DSC_0040.jpg

The 80mm turbo came in, S400 from Borg Warner with a wheel upgrade. The framing is T6 and the A/R is 1.32. 44 lbs! Also the valve covers showed up:

th_DSC_0043.jpg th_DSC_0008.jpg

Finished the main gauge section of the cluster. Took the lenses out alltogether as I need access to buttons on the gauge faces. Gauges are Speedhut Revolution and they fit PERFECT! They are screwed in but also sealed with a thin bead of clear silicone to keep them from vibrating loose:

th_2008_1207_171736.jpg th_2008_1207_171802.jpg th_2008_1208_222141.jpg

Edited by cphsonic

Cool this place, i guess this is a newer shop over by where i had my engine work done at total performance...best shop in SD to get machine work. that whole street is filled with cool shops....i think it was called prospect st?

Anyway, if i still lived out there, i'd love to see your car! oh well!

What clutch setup are you going with on the T56? just curious, looks like I am going with a kit from Modern Driveline. would be interested in what you decided to go with and why.

great build .. keep the updates going!

If you did the AJE just as a rip & replace it's not too tricky I think, but in this build the engine is also moved 2" back and 1-2" down. Makes for some interesting issues with the rack & pinion etc. But still a reasonable amount of hours, allthough by some experienced guys that have done it a few times before.

Progress pics! This time the 363 long block and T-56 tranny being test fitted. Had a fault in the World block casting and one ear broke off with very low torque on the tranny-to-block bolt! :blink: Welded back in place, NP warranty by Total Performance.

Also have the subframe connectors welded into the floors. Once connected to the 8 point roll bar this is going to be VERY stiff! :tongue_smilie:

Working on the turbo setup and the carbon parts, both takes a loooong time before it looks like anything at all. But small update anyways!

Engine is back in and moved way back and down, no issues clearing the hood:

th_2009_0106_081008.jpg th_2009_0106_080956.jpg

Turbo placement is done and the helper bracket taking most of its weight is in, 5" DP being mocked up:

th_2009_0106_085550.jpg th_2009_0106_101543.jpg th_2009_0108_082429.jpg

Next is the hot side with each header going all the way to the T6 flange (no merge).

I'll post some pics of the carbon work in a couple of days, it's all work 1-2 hours, wait 12 hrs to dry/harden/cure. :huh:

So to get some instant results I mounted my Oregon Scientific actioncam on my helmet. Simple click on off mount that comes in the camera kit, now epoxy/glassed to the helmet. Needs a bit of finish + some black sealer:

th_DSC_0001.jpg th_DSC_0003.jpg

The rear tires are 315's and needed a bit more room in the front:

th_2009_0119_190016.jpg th_2009_0119_19017.jpg

They now just clear the leaf spring and rolled fender lip.

295's seem to be the max that you can get away with in a 69-70 without more than a bit of hammering.

Looks great!! keep the progress pics flowing ...:tongue_smilie:

is the drop with the engine 1-2" due to the T56 and trans tunnel or more for balancing out the weight ratio? didnt know if i missed cutting the trans tunnel for the T56. I have not mocked mine up under the car as of yet..

Sorry, been away skiing for a week. Yeah, TCP reverse eye 5-leaf in kit form:

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rlss-mu.html + their torque arm

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/torquearm.html all on a FAB9 rear. The ride height mock-up earlier was with lowering blocks but the final result is with the springs repacked (2 up side down).

I picked up the quarter emblems from the laser shop today! I dislike the original Mach I emblems so we tossed ideas around and came up with these. I made a set of 3½" slightly domed aluminum emblems, sanded them for an age with 800 grit, had them anodized and then laser "milled" 0.2mm deep with an industrial laser.

Drawing the 2D logo first in Corel Draw and then in 3D (Solidworks) was the worst part and probably took 6 hours... :001_huh: You can convert simpler 2D geometries fairly automatically in Solidworks but this came out as more than 3.500 splines and had to be handled area by area...

The emblem will be recessed into the qtr panel.

th_2009_0216_190703.jpg

I picked up the quarter emblems from the laser shop today! I dislike the original Mach I emblems so we tossed ideas around and came up with these. I made a set of 3½" slightly domed aluminum emblems, sanded them for an age with 800 grit, had them anodized and then laser "milled" 0.2mm deep with an industrial laser.

Drawing the 2D logo first in Corel Draw and then in 3D (Solidworks) was the worst part and probably took 6 hours... :001_huh: You can convert simpler 2D geometries fairly automatically in Solidworks but this came out as more than 3.500 splines and had to be handled area by area...

The emblem will be recessed into the qtr panel.

th_2009_0216_190703.jpg

those emblems are sweet!!!!!!!! i've been trying to come up with a cool GT logo emblem for my cougar and those gave me a cool idea. running cat with a standard 69 GT style emblem layed on top. i'll have to play with it a little to see if it's something i'll like, i may just end up doing only the GT logo with a gear tooth pattern. luckily the 69 cougar XR7 already has a gear tooth pattern on the 1/4 ornament so i'd just need to emulate that and add the GT in the center.

now that i think about more i may just do exactly that with no cat but maybe have an XR-7 logo under the GT logo instead since i'm going for an XR7-GT type of cougar. luxury of the XR-7 with the power and handling of a GT, of course this will be a more modern version and more of a true GT like your car since it will have TCP G-Bar rear and custom Opentracker coilover front suspension

Thx. Logos are a bitch, being creative is HARD! LOL

Some more progress made on the IC core, though we're still waiting on the last parts. Dustin @ CPR can really weld :thumbup1: :

th_2009_0210_070154.jpg th_2009_0210_070151.jpg

Also doing work on the torque arm mount. Welded it into the floors for max ground clearance & stiffness. Still need to position the actual mounting bracket:

th_2009_0212_233849.jpg th_2009_0213_061326.jpg