Sign in to follow this  
cphsonic

1969 Mustang GT2 project

So it's beginning! We finally found a base car for the build, MACE from 69stang helped check it out outside Portland :detective: and it's now under way to CPR Streetmachines in San Diego. Totally rust fixed FB with a lot of hours into restoring to as-new condition, all new nuts and bolts everywhere, boxes full of new parts etc. The poor guy was stuck after running out of $$ so I picked it up for a fair price.

This is a rendering of how the build will look:

zvthansMustangfrproof4_med.jpg

GT2 is for "Gran Tourismo" (in the italian original sense) and Turbo. Some highlights (not all parts are final yet):

Ford SB 363 stroker, DART block, all forged & roller, 0 balance, Arias pistons

Single T-76 turbo, intercooler

Big Stuff 3 ECU

BBK SSI-R intake

T-56 trans from Pro Motion, McLeod RXT clutch, hydraulic

AJE front coil overs w/adjustable A-arms, improved K-member, double adj. Koni's, manual rack & pinion

13" Cobra brakes, 4-piston Brembo calipers

FAB9 9" rear & TrueTrac, TCP leaf spring kit, adj. Varishocks

11.65" Cobra brakes rear

TCP torque arm & Panhard bar

18" Shelby CS56 wheels

Toyo R888 rubber, 245/40 and 295/30

Speedhut gauges

Bielstein seats

Rollbar & Simpson 6pt harness

I'll keep the build updates coming as soon as there is news.

Yeah, that's the one thing I'm not digging is the loss of inboard lights. I'd even rather see holes with ducts for either brake cooling or ram air there as opposed ot nothing.

So now that you have this rendering does that mean you no longer require the photo shop request you PM'd about? I started looking for some pics to work from but have not done any actual work on it yet.

Heh, lots of opinions about the hi beam delete. It's unusual and I like it so soooo... :whistling:

Yeah, ended up having a pro work on the rendering as the car will be in the shop in 2 days and we need a direction now. Thanks for the offer though!

+3 on the hi-beam delete and not digging shaved doors either... just something missing. But it looks as low and mean as only a '69 Mustang can. The stance is right on! Sure gonna be a head-turner!

Looks like the rear quarters are going to be flared, is that a true statement? Looks nice...torn on the hi-beam delete...makes it look like a '70...like the shaved doors as it smooths the the body line. Regardless, still looks mean as a mutha &*^%er

I like it. I do not think it looks bad with the high beam Delete at all. Shaved handles are cool to, Even if the doors were lambo. It gives it a different look alltogether. I resembles the new ShelbyGT500's of today.

Restomod is Dare to be Different.

The car Going to be A Sweet Ride.

Thanks, And good luck, Vince..........

Of course there is some artistic freedom in the rendering. Drip rails and door handles are going to stay initially.

With the selected tires there should be no need to flare fenders or even roll the lips. That will just be for looks then. The wheels are for SN197 so the rear axle is ordered with an extra 1.5" width and up front we use SN95 spindles and also correct BS (we hope).

Yeah that's the idea. 90% finished from CPR Streetmachines & Total Performance (Obsidian etc.). I'll do some of the electrical and electronic stuff back here incl. sound. Most of the aerodynamic carbon fibre parts & the gauge cluster I make here too but I might ship them over.

I'll be in LA/San Diego next weekend to check out progress and plan. :hammer:

Mace, sure come by and see the progress! And very pleased: CPR actually said that it was about the best amateur resto they had ever seen. Nothing needs redoing so far. So you scouting mission was a great success! :thumbup1:

Pakrat, consider the € (Euro) to US$ rate at the moment. US builders are very competitive at the moment thanks to George W. Besides, with my job I'd never be able to free up time to do more than 10% of a build like this. Not many options!

Finsihed the rear view rendering:

zvthansMustangrearfinal1280.jpg

The centered exhaust is a challenge but we're splitting the tank partly to get it up there. It's getting baffles and dual sumps as well.

Not much progress on actual car but a lot of parts are on the way. T-56 tranny, McLeod RST clutch, flywheel, hydr. throwout bearing etc. is coming next week from Pro Motion Powertrain. The AJE front coil over setup should be ready the week after and I was in San Diego over the weekend to talk to CPR Streetmachines about a zillion details and go over the engine with Total Performance.

th_zvthansMustangrearfinal1280.jpg

Rear diffusor is a custom carbon piece. I have a buddy that owns a composite business, making aircraft parts. Owes me a big favor. :biggrin: The front spoiler is carbon too and we're considering the rear spoiler/wing. Might be a market for those?

Rear diffusor is a custom carbon piece. I have a buddy that owns a composite business, making aircraft parts. Owes me a big favor. :biggrin: The front spoiler is carbon too and we're considering the rear spoiler/wing. Might be a market for those?

i'd say there is a rather large untapped carbon parts market for classic stangs and cougars too. i'd love to have a carbon decklid with ducktail spoiler and a carbon hood scoop for my cougar

Just a quick update: we're not standing still, just waiting for stuff!

We're through most of the ordering end wearing out my US$ account and parts are starting to come in finally. Engine parts are almost all there, waiting on the custom pistons + some bits and then the engine build starts.

AJE K-member is in and front end work can start now.

Promotion Powertrain T-56 is in, trans tunnel mods can start.

The first item on the to-do list is disassembly. I bough the base car for this project as an incompleted project and it has a lot of nice brand new/refurbished parts incl. a 420W, Toploader, 9", all new suspension etc. that all need to come out. Those parts are being shipped to Denmark for sale here (better prices). I just bought a very nice 69 Cpe roller (less driveline) where the stuff will go on/in for shipping. Much cheaper than shipping pallets of gear, believe it or not! I found a AZ/CA desert car with no rust at all, incl. the floors. :shifty: