Sign in to follow this  
helrazr70

What did I just buy?! Yes, another clutch pedal thread!

Not to beat a dead horse with another clutch pedal thread, (which there are many to be found using the search function) but I have an issue with a clutch/brake pedal I just bought for my '69.

I just bought these off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130222470628&rd=1

The issue I have is this--I got them today and the clutch pedal DOESN"T appear to be from a '69 Mustang. The brake pedal looks correct and has a 2/69 date stamped on it, but the clutch pedal has a cotter pin hole in the shaft instead of a clip groove like 65-68. Also the return spring/bumper bracket on the pedal is different. (like the 65-68)

I should have done a little more research before buying these. It all came back to me when I pulled them out of the box how my last '69 clutch pedal looked several years ago.

The pedal pad itself is angle cut like the 65-68 pedals instead of square. Now for the funny part: I have been looking at 65-68 pedals and they are all made differently. This pedal is straight except the crook by the pedal pad like the 69/70, 65-68 all have bends in the pedals before the pad. (at least the ones I have seen online today)

So, why does this pedal look to have a 65/66 or 67/68 upper bracketry & pedal pad, but have a straight 69/70 "arm"?

Has anyone seen this pedal before? Is it a 65-68 of some sort and I just missed that version in my research? Is it from another Ford product? If I had to guess, I would say it's a 65-68 Mustang of some sort.

Here is the page at modern driveline with the different pedals shown:

http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop/cart.cgi?db=mddata.txt&category=pedals&merchant=moderndriveline

I may still be able to use it with my Modern Driveline cable conversion kit. The bolt-on bracket fits, but not quite perfectly. I have to see if it will align with the cable hole in the firewall once it's drilled. ...or I just break down and buy a 69/70 pedal from MD.

Contact Modern Driveline again. When I was having troubles with my pedal conversion I discovered it wasn't correct. But when I talked directly with M.D. they told me they were in the process of making kits/cables that would work with other years.

Contact Modern Driveline again. When I was having troubles with my pedal conversion I discovered it wasn't correct. But when I talked directly with M.D. they told me they were in the process of making kits/cables that would work with other years.

What you are saying is that they are in the process of making cable kits for '69 model cars to use other year model clutch pedals? At this point, they are reproducing the '69 pedal so it would be more economical for me to just buy the pedal from them and be done with it. I will tinker with what I have and buy a repro as a last resort.

I have a Mustang front clip complete with firewall. I have already cut the upper and lower cowls off of it. I had easy access to do an experiment.

I mocked up the pedal assy with the 67 style clutch pedal and then installed the firewall template/brace. I marked the center of the cable guide hole on the outside of the firewall. I then installed the cable clutch adapter bracket to the clutch pedal and then marked the spot on the firewall that lines up with the hole in the bracket. I drilled a 1/16" hole from the inside out. The hole lined up within 1/16" of the outside mark. There is more adjustment than that on the bracket on the pedal.

So, the answer is YES, a 67/68 pedal will work in a 69/70 if you are using the Modern Driveline cable clutch set-up as long as the spring mount bracket is cut off.

The only issue I may have is the pedals being an unequal height from the floor. I could not gauge this because neither my car or clip have master cylinders installed to check them. If they are uneven, I can "adjust" the stop bracket on the pedal--or remove the bracket all together from the pedal. ...but with the pedals at the max forward position in the housing, they both line up perfectly.