Sign in to follow this  
S code 69

Hood hinges shot?

I'm putting the sheet metal back on my Mach 1 and it's all fitting pretty nice, but even with my hinges set as low as they go the hood sits 1/4" to high . if you push down on it it goes down and back 1/4" and fits nice. does this slack in the hinges mean they're bad or are you supposed to adjust it out? they move freely but they do have some slop I think.

the hinges need to be rotated by putting a little "preload" on them. it will be easier with two people. loosen the the middle & rear bolts first, then have someone push up on the hood like they are trying to open it further. the pressure should rotate the hinges down in the back. tighten up the bolts & check. may take a couple times to get it perfect. mine was in the same place & i did this last week before cutting for the shaker.

the hinges need to be rotated by putting a little "preload" on them. it will be easier with two people. loosen the the middle & rear bolts first, then have someone push up on the hood like they are trying to open it further. the pressure should rotate the hinges down in the back. tighten up the bolts & check. may take a couple times to get it perfect. mine was in the same place & i did this last week before cutting for the shaker.

+1.

Back off on the bolts a 1/4" and place a screw driver at the rear bolt location, under the hinge and pry slightly to ward engine and push down at the same time. Then retighten the bolts.

They have a habit of hanging on the hole on the fender wells. I found this out only by getting mad a stubburn drivers side sticking up a 1/4" and the other side being flush. Search other threads and you'll find the same info as described!

I just did this same thing last weekend. The front of the hinge needed to come up alittle while the back stayed all the way down. The elongated holes only allow the hinge to travel straight up and down. In order to do this I took a small grinding wheel on my dremel tool and lengthened the rear hole towards the top about 1/16" and widened the top front hole towards the front enough to rotate it backwards. Also cleaned up the bottom hole alittle. I hung the front and drivers side of the hood from the garage ceiling w/tiedowns and left the other side bolted to the hinge so it hung there when I took the hinge off. That way you don't need to remove the hood. Alittle trial and error and now the hood fits better than it ever did. Hope that makes some since.