Sign in to follow this  
SlimeGold 69

Anybody care to guess how high gas will go?

Gas hit $3.80 a gallon here today. I say over $4.00 a gallon before summer and hope that no hurricanes hit in the fall. If that happens we are all in big trouble. I know it has cut my Mustang drive time way down. She sits more these days than ever and it don't look good for the future.

It's been as high as $3.95 a gallon around the Columbus area in Ohio. I commute an hour one way to work...I've been spending close to $1000 a month in gas:helpsmilie:...talk about hitting you in the pocket. I bought a Honda Prelude for my daughter last year...I have now taken that car back and she gets to drive my Charger/Daytona R/T...and yet I still pay gas for both, lol. At least the small turd car is saving me about $4-500 a month. My youngest turns 16 in a couple of months...she's getting a bike or a moped for her 16th...

You have nothing to complain about, here in Norway it is getting close to 10,5$ a gallon and rising:scared:. And we are supposed to be one of the biggest oilproducing countries in the world. Govermentenvironmentalmyass:asshole::huh:

You know us Americans, always complaining about something:shifty:.

You have nothing to complain about, here in Norway it is getting close to 10,5$ a gallon and rising:scared:. And we are supposed to be one of the biggest oilproducing countries in the world. Govermentenvironmentalmyass:asshole::huh:

If I heard the news right the other day the scandiavian countries are at the top of the price list with the UK right behind. Us whiney Americans don't have too much to complain about really since we are 93rd on the list. But we will anyway. FYI - I paid $7.00 a gallon for 112 octane. I like to run it occasionally....

I did not mean to upset anyone, but the last trick from our goverment is even worse. They used two years two lead the citizens to buy diesel cars, and now they found out it was worse than gasoline. So thay have raised roadtax and dieselprices so it is now more expensive to drive than petrol. Do you think we are happy with our red/green goverment:euro:

Just wait to my Mustang is on the road slurping 99 octane:punk:

OUCH ! Do I wish it would stop at 5.00? Hell if it would just stop now it would be OK. Oh no I've lost my freakin mind, who would of thought 3. something would sound good??????

It's 3.66 here at the local wish I owned WallMart!

Its $3.99 over here. I flew to Bakersfield yesterday and Avgas (100LL) is $5.30 a gallon. Only wanted to top off the tanks but 10 gallons wasnt cheap. :001_huh:

I did not mean to upset anyone, but the last trick from our goverment is even worse. They used two years two lead the citizens to buy diesel cars, and now they found out it was worse than gasoline. So thay have raised roadtax and dieselprices so it is now more expensive to drive than petrol. Do you think we are happy with our red/green goverment:euro:

Just wait to my Mustang is on the road slurping 99 octane:punk:

You didn't upset anyone, it's all in good fun. I hope we don't catch up with the rest of the world but I'm afraid it's only a matter of time. How do you cope with prices that high?

We wouldn't exactly catch up in gas prices, at least not in the same way as our European friends.

69 Convertible, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reason for the price jump from the US to Europe is significantly higher gas taxes. I remember reading about it as "pricing to reflect the true cost of driving". It's supposed to go toward environmental cleanup, but also contributes to road repair.

My brother-in-law (from London) would always mention that for a country that loves to drive, the US has some of the most poorly maintained roads in the world. London was nice smooth driving everywhere we went when I was over there, I'd guess the rest of Europe is the same.

Considering my commute is getting so bad that my motorcycle (a Suzuki Bandit, also my summer DD) may need to be swapped out for a dual sport, I do find it ironic. However with all the extra gas prices we are not getting anything more in road tax, so the roads around here will contine to deteriorate.

*sidenote*

Oh, that gas tax holiday they keep talking about- bad news. That'll add up to more car repairs and cost you more money in the short and long run. Plus a lot of road crews getting laid off and that's never good!

*/sidenote*

It can go as high as the thieves want to charge and people will still pay it, its like a drug. I have no doubt it will creep toward $5.00, but I think if it goes over that, there will be serious social and political ramifications.

I understand and appreciate the fact that many countries pay much more for thier gas. BUT, they have adjusted to it and thier life style accomodates it.

My friend is from Germany and says that just driving through NY, she would have driven though a couple of countries in Europe. We are used to getting around a huge country and it will take time for our culture to adapt to different driving habits and it can't happen overnight. I live 25 miles from my work, but I built my house 15 years ago when gas was like 2 bucks. Real estate in my area has consistantly boomed over those 15 years as it's and easy commute. If gas were to go to 5-6-7 dollars a gallon, I could see real estate dropping where I am and urban areas skyrocket.

We wouldn't exactly catch up in gas prices, at least not in the same way as our European friends.

69 Convertible, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reason for the price jump from the US to Europe is significantly higher gas taxes. I remember reading about it as "pricing to reflect the true cost of driving". It's supposed to go toward environmental cleanup, but also contributes to road repair.

My brother-in-law (from London) would always mention that for a country that loves to drive, the US has some of the most poorly maintained roads in the world. London was nice smooth driving everywhere we went when I was over there, I'd guess the rest of Europe is the same.

Considering my commute is getting so bad that my motorcycle (a Suzuki Bandit, also my summer DD) may need to be swapped out for a dual sport, I do find it ironic. However with all the extra gas prices we are not getting anything more in road tax, so the roads around here will contine to deteriorate.

*sidenote*

Oh, that gas tax holiday they keep talking about- bad news. That'll add up to more car repairs and cost you more money in the short and long run. Plus a lot of road crews getting laid off and that's never good!

*/sidenote*

wantahertzdonut,

I know what you mean about roads, but on one of my car show trips, there is the sweetes piece of highway in Ohio, smooth and striaght. It was so nice, I took a video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8234455005829672883&hl=en

Oh yes, that is what they say, but to start with buying a new car, let us use a new shelby Mustang. US price is 50 - 60k$. When adding norwegian taxes it will in Norway cost approximately 300k$. Just laugh, I am not kidding. The Ford dealer do not import Mustangs at all, it is only private import.

Then we have a yearly road tax about 650$ for one car. We have a lot of toll roads around the country. Goverment tax on petrol is about 60%. That is only what the stat takes, then it is insurance+++. And the standard of norwegian roads is not as good as you think. We are ecstatic when we drive roads abroad because they are so much wider and better than here.

To take a funny example: a friend of mine had his cousin from Portland, USA on a visit. When driving to the summer house, he thought it was going a little bit fast because the road was quite narrow and there was lot of holes in the asphalt. But he was not really scared before they met another car around a turn. Then he said, Oh, my God, I thought this was a one way drive!

Here in Alberta we are paying about 1.26 a litre for regular, which works out to about $4.55 per US gallon (dollar exchange not considered.) Premium would be 1.33 or $4.84 per US gallon.

I'm very glad I put the T5 with overdrive in my car. Unfortunately the car rarely sees fifth gear around town.

We have lots to complain about. the US has much more road, and not nearly as much public transportation. We put 20K+ miles on my wife's minivan in 8 months without even crossing the Mississippi River. (In fact, we only hit four states.) How many times can you cross the entirety of Europe to get 20K miles?

The US has a lot more places to go, and a lot fewer ways of getting there than Europe. There's a bona-fide reason why US gas is "worth" a dollar a gallon. Why we continue to pay 4x that amount is beyond me. I suggest park-ins next.

Oh yes, that is what they say, but to start with buying a new car, let us use a new shelby Mustang. US price is 50 - 60k$. When adding norwegian taxes it will in Norway cost approximately 300k$. Just laugh, I am not kidding. The Ford dealer do not import Mustangs at all, it is only private import.

Then we have a yearly road tax about 650$ for one car. We have a lot of toll roads around the country. Goverment tax on petrol is about 60%. That is only what the stat takes, then it is insurance+++. And the standard of norwegian roads is not as good as you think. We are ecstatic when we drive roads abroad because they are so much wider and better than here.

To take a funny example: a friend of mine had his cousin from Portland, USA on a visit. When driving to the summer house, he thought it was going a little bit fast because the road was quite narrow and there was lot of holes in the asphalt. But he was not really scared before they met another car around a turn. Then he said, Oh, my God, I thought this was a one way drive!

Morten- I heard Norway was expensive but damn! I hope you get paid well!

Hah, we Danes only pay $8,5 per gallon. I knew Norway sucked! :whistling:

Classic cars are appreciated though, my 400hp Mustang is $187 yearly in insurance and around $400 yearly in environmental tax.

Hah, we Danes only pay $8,5 per gallon. I knew Norway sucked! :whistling:

Classic cars are appreciated though, my 400hp Mustang is $187 yearly in insurance and around $400 yearly in environmental tax.

At least our roads are more fun to drive, with mountains and fjords:tt2:

and I forgot to say that road tax is about 80$ a year and insurance about 110$ a year on my classic car, but with a limit on 8000km, or about 5000 miles. On Regular daily cruisers we do not talk about it. 1800$ in insurance with 75% bonus from the insurance company.

I'm very glad I put the T5 with overdrive in my car. Unfortunately the car rarely sees fifth gear around town.

I hear ya Gazoo. That's the best thing I have done to my car also. I can get it on the highway and it just idles along at 60 mph in fifth gear. With my 302 and 5 speed I would guess it gets at least 20mpg highway if I keep my foot out of it. I have been thinking of going to EFI also in the near future.

I hear ya Gazoo. That's the best thing I have done to my car also. I can get it on the highway and it just idles along at 60 mph in fifth gear. With my 302 and 5 speed I would guess it gets at least 20mpg highway if I keep my foot out of it. I have been thinking of going to EFI also in the near future.

I get over 20mpg in 5th gear with my TKO600. Not bad for a 600hp car. Of course out of 5th gear it's 6-8mpg.

I get over 20mpg in 5th gear with my TKO600. Not bad for a 600hp car. Of course out of 5th gear it's 6-8mpg.

Holy crap!! You get over 20mpg with 3.90 rear and a 600 hp stroker? If that's the case I should be getting quite a bit more than 20mpg myself.

The only time I've checked it I got about 24 mpg (imperial gallon) which would be roughly 20 mpg (US gallon). This is with 3.25 gears. I'll have to check it more carefully this summer.

But yeah, it's great to be cruising at 75 mph and barely be turning 2000 rpm.

Wallstreet has predicted that in the next few weeks it will be as high as $4.50 a gallon so yes it is going up still. Until Bush finishes paying for that huge wedding he just threw and then saves back up for his retirement we shouldn't expect to see it start to drop again anytime soon.

Wallstreet has predicted that in the next few weeks it will be as high as $4.50 a gallon so yes it is going up still. Until Bush finishes paying for that huge wedding he just threw and then saves back up for his retirement we shouldn't expect to see it start to drop again anytime soon.

did you know that Bush's house in Crawford is almost totally off the grid and one of the "greener" houses in the area, if the the "greenest"? not sure what that has to do with this thread but i thought it was interesting