Sign in to follow this  
sixty9cobra

How do I stop it now?

OK I finally got it together, carb is getting close to perfect. New wheels and tires, it just needs a wheel alignment. The brakes are terrible with this big cam only 8 inches of vac at 1100 rpm. They were never any good with 12 or 14 either. Whats the best options? Vacuum pump, hydroboost, toss the whole system? It has reasonably good stuff but never really stopped very well never could lock them. Now I need 2 feet on the pedal and its scary.

Vaccum reservoir is about the only answer. Do you have all drum brakes? If so get a set of Granada discs and make the conversion if the braking is unsafe with all drums. Mine stops fairly well with all drums and power brakes. Your booster may be bad??

Vacuum can wont work it only makes 10 inches of vacuum with this cam. Been there done that years ago. Ill go with hydro boost or a vacuum pump. I might even toss the whole setup. Im not getting any younger time to get it right. Checking my options right now.

I also have a vacuum problem with a high duration radical cam. My solution will be the hydroboost system. I plan on installing it within the month. Vacuum cans really aren't all that great. I've seen several vacuum can setups and none of the owners were all that happy or trusting of them. Vacuum pumps are noisy and require power.

here's something else to consider. i have a friend who builds lots of pro touring type cars & doesn't use any power brake assist. he swears by the wilwood manual master cylinder with the 7/8 bore. he says the smaller bore creates greater pressure /pedal effort ratio & feels like one of the power setups with the small street rod type booster.

rodshop is right, I know guys with Hemi Mopar's that won't make vacuum who just run manual disk brakes, lots of them came that way.

My 440 six pack only makes 11 in of vacuum and my power brakes work fine, is there a higher capacity booster ( larger diaphagm ) available that would fit a Mustang?

I have a Hydraboost system, and it absolutly rocks! Stop on a dime, get 2 nickels in change! But then again, I do have 13" Wilwood discs, but I'm sure it will improve the stockers too. The pedal is very firm, wouldn't have it any other way.

I got it from Hydratech Braking Systems. This is my invoice:

ORDERED ITEMS:

HBS-FBC0603

AEROQUIP AN-6 TFE SPEC STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED HOSE, 3 Foot Section

Qty: 1 at $22.95 .............................................. $22.95

HBS-1122

AEROQUIP FBM 1122 HOSE END

Qty: 2 at $11.39 .............................................. $22.78

HBS-3823

AEROQUIP FBM 3823 AN 6 TFE HOSE END REPLACEMENT SLEEVES

Qty: 1 at $9.69 ................................................ $9.69

HBS-2872 weld

AEROQUIP FBM 2872 AN 6 WELD / BRAZE ADAPTER

Qty: 1 at $4.39 ................................................ $4.39

HBS-9101

HYDRATECH 9101 AN 6 RETURN LINE ADAPTER

Qty: 1 at $21.95 .............................................. $21.95

HBS-167207

EARL?S 167207 VIBRATORY POLISHED LINE SEPERATORS

Qty: 1 at $23.95 .............................................. $23.95

3062R

1967 - 1970 Mustang / Cougar Hydraulic Brake

Assist Retrofit Kit Level III

Qty: 1 at $695.00 ............................................ $695.00

CHARGES:

Sub Total:: $800.71

Shipping: $37.07

Sales Tax: $0.00

Total:: ...................................................... $837.78

You see the unit itself is $695, but I wanted braided hoses on the return line as well, and a seperate return line to my resorvair, so that added a bit to the total.

i have been researching the hydraboost from hydratech ... it says it is a direct replacement for factory power disc brakes.. but i was wondering if and when i upgrade to my dream of 13" baer or wilwood system if it would work ok.

fvike .. how is the brake pedal feel?

any pics of the setup? im also looking at a hydraulic clutch setup so seeing your booster setup may give me a idea of where to mount..

:tongue_smilie:

I have a Hydraboost system, and it absolutly rocks! Stop on a dime, get 2 nickels in change! But then again, I do have 13" Wilwood discs, but I'm sure it will improve the stockers too. The pedal is very firm, wouldn't have it any other way.
Edited by stangme428
ask for pics of the setup

I'm using the NPD (or CMC rather) dual master cylinder without any assist. The car is stil in build so I havent driven it yet, but I've researched as much as I could. It should have a very nice pedal feel without significantly more effort than a booster setup. Very streetable I'm told.

Just my 2c...

i have been researching the hydraboost from hydratech ... it says it is a direct replacement for factory power disc brakes.. but i was wondering if and when i upgrade to my dream of 13" baer or wilwood system if it would work ok.

fvike .. how is the brake pedal feel?

any pics of the setup? im also looking at a hydraulic clutch setup so seeing your booster setup may give me a idea of where to mount..

:tongue_smilie:

Since my last post on this tread, I've upgraded the rear drums to 13" Wilwoods, so there are 13" discs on all corners now. All I had to do was adjust the brake pressure valve that I had installed for the rear brakes.

The pedal is still firm. Even at road course use, I never experienced fading, going deep into the corners. I just have massive, reliable stopping power now. Best mod I ever did to my car.

Here's some pictures:

Dsc02694u.jpg

Dscn0214u.jpg

Works so good first stop I hit my face on the steering wheel. Im not going to bother with the rear discs now.

Just my 2c (where's the 2 cent smilie?).. When I did the rear brakes, I got much more even braking force, front and rear. The car doesn't dive anymore, but just nicely and evenly comes to a stop. That is a noteable difference when braking in corners or bends. Feels much safer.

But that was for my application, using 13" disks. I don't know if that is the case with stock brakes, if that is what you are running.