Sign in to follow this  
james the flame

headers for my 351w

Good evening everyone. Just got my motor and tranny back from the builders. Please tell me the best set of headers to use on my car. 1969 mach 1. Original 351w 4v. Very strong cam with roller rockers 40 over with stock port and polish heads. Stock intake. I am running the original fmx tranny with shift kit and 3.00 rearend. I want to duell the exhaust out the back so will need to replace the back panel to allow for the pipes. What do you suggest?? What about mufflers. I am not real big on flowmaster turbo mufflers as it seems everyone is doing it. I am considering just putting a set of Smithy's glass packs on it and go old school. If I could find the old Thrush canister type glass packs I would be all over that. Don't know much about headers. Do I need shortys, long or what??? Thanks so much. My builder said I should be at about 350 h.p. with headers installed. What do you think??

I also have a FB with 351w rebulit 30 over roller rockers heads are stock comp cam elderbrock manifold and carb running a 4 speed with 3.00 gears. I went with JBA shorty's and magnaflows and sounds pretty good. Not sure if they are too loud (resignation) or not enough as there is no interior (at the paint shop right now) but I did drive it before I took the all the glass out and runs good. Talking to most guys with the magnaflows like them over the flowmasters becouse of excessive noise but most of those guys were older (50+). The other nice thing about the shorty's you can remove them if you need to without lifting the motor. anyway that's my two cents worth.

I went with Headmen shorties, but be warned the ceramic coating on them is the worst I have ever seen. They rusted in no time like a year, and by the second year it really looks like crap. BTW this car gets driven 2k miles a year, and is garage kept. I went with shorties for ground clearance, I had the longs but I was bottoming out on everything and it was no fun, just something to keep in mind.

What tranny? If an automatic you can use just about any header you want depending on your price range. You can spend from $99 to over $500 and on up. I'm putting Hooker Competition headers on mine; they are long tube headers, 16 gauge steel, 5/16" flange, painted for $159. They fit manual transmissions as well. I'm going to be installing the headers and a Summit Racing exhaust kit here in the next week or so...I can give you a review if you like.

IMO the best headers out there are from FPA. The best fit, finish and quality you can find. I have them and they are great - look brand new after 4k miles, no discolor, no heat issues (touch them 5 minutes after turning the car off), perfect fit and look very sweet. Call Stu for a price....

http://fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers1.htm

For exhaust I like the 2.5" Magnaflows. Nice throaty sound but you can listen to music in the cabin. Sounds real mean above 4k RPM. Great flow and stainless to boot. Still looks new underneath....

http://magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=AMML&id=989

6t9mach1,

Which header did you use? I also have a 351W with a manual trans. The hooker catalog says the competition header (part number 6901HKR) will not fit with a manual trans. The catalog does say the super comp 6116HKR will fit but they are over $400.00.

I got to checking last night because I had problems with the fit of my Hooker Competition headers and you are right, they dont fit manual transmission cars. Sorry for the confusion. Not sure what I'm going to use now.

As far as I can tell, the only inexpensive option is the Hedman shorties (88650) at $150. However, they are only 18 gauge and have a 1/4 inch flange. The heavier duty option is the 88658 which is 14 gauge and a 3/8 inch flange. Unfortunately, it only comes coated which drives the price to $388. The cheapest full length that I can find is the hooker super comp 6116HKR at $429.00. I'm not sure what I need to do but need to decide quickly.

When I changed over to a T-5 I had to also look for headers. I had Hedman's 88300 which fit real nice but only fit an automatic.

FPA doesn't make units for a cable clutch for 351W cars with World heads. After talking to FPA I went with Hedman 88668.They don't fit as nice, in fact they rub against the pass. side frame rail.

another vote here for FPA headers, very heavy duty construction, great finish, and mate up nicely with the magnaflows, tight fit in the engine bay, but with the Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts, I was able to move the engine around to clear everything. Should finally be firing the car up in June hopefully, have most of it wired now, just waiting for sparkplug wires, and then its fire the beast up time.:w00t:

Only down side is now work is slow so I have no money, and gas is over $4 a gallon so I can't afford to take it out and really drive it this summer.:001_9898::cursing:

I have a 1969 Mach 1 with a 351W and 4sp trans. I installed JBA headers. They fit without any issues. I did install ARP header bolts with a reduced size head to easily get a socket or closed end wrench on all the bolts. For the exhaust I went with Borla mufflers with 2 1/2" dia. inlet and outlet, 2 1/2" dia. tubing, and a 3" dia X-pipe. I don't have the interior resonance issue with the Borla mufflers. Whatever header you select, if you get them with a ceramic coating, select a coating with the highest temperature rating. The Aluminum color coatings have the lowest temperature rating and will sometimes burn off during initial break in of a new motor.

I'm definitely doing coating. Did it for the M3 headers and is totally worth it. I had got the coating that is resistant up to like 1800 degrees.

Where should the cross pipe be? Again, only experience I have is with the M3. Our cross pipe went right after the trans (aka near the stock type); it helps keep/add a little low end there and improves top end as well.