Sign in to follow this  
ETstang

Question on GT Equip group

Hi there - new member here with a recently purchased '69 GT Indian Fire Convertible. I have the original Dealer Invoice from Ford (sold through a Dealer in Mayland). There is a listing for the GT Equipment Group.

Can't find out if the GT group would have included the Chrome Engine Components (valve covers, air cleaner, dipstick, radiator cap) for the car for this year.

Anyone with some documentation?

Thanks

Dick

The chrome components are not part of the GT package. They are part of some engine packages like the 428 CJ and 390. The 351s had painted valve covers, air cleaner and dipstick.

What engine did your come with?

GT equipment group would have included hood scoop and hood pins, styled steel wheels with GT center caps, 69 specific GT gas cap with gear tooth pattern, GT rocker stripe, heavy duty suspension with stiffer springs and shocks and larger front swaybar,and i believe the visibility group option (which included chrome remote driver side mirror, parking brake warning light, trunk light, glove box light and map light) was standard on all GT's as well. if the car had the M-code 351-4v engine or larger it would have also had the chrome quad exhaust tips on the dual exhaust as well. i'm also fairly certain that all M-code and larger engine cars got disc brakes as standard equipment as well as i used to have an old Ford publication that had them listed as such but other people say the disc brakes were not standard equipment because they know of cars that don't have discs, however that does not mean that the disc brakes couldn't have been requested as a delete option either. the best bet is to go by the Marti report (although i don't completely agree with his total production numbers for the 69 GT myself)

Car was special ordered from SJC with 390, valve covers currently painted Powered by Ford, but wondering if originally chrome. Only chrome accessory is oil dipstick as I don't think air cleaner had a chrome lid. Any way to verify if engine appearance package was standard on all 390 GT's?

i'm also fairly certain that all M-code and larger engine cars got disc brakes as standard equipment as well as i used to have an old Ford publication that had them listed as such but other people say the disc brakes were not standard equipment because they know of cars that don't have discs, however that does not mean that the disc brakes couldn't have been requested as a delete option either.

Are you saying you think this is the case for GT's? Front drums were standard on the Mach 1. I think the M-code GT my buddy has came with discs. My M-code Mach came with drums.

My car is a M code GT without disc brakes. SOmeone else has the same on thier mcode GT also. I dont know if you could order drums as a delete or not. I know that in the 60's street racers did not like disc b/c they slowed down the car due to friction on the disc. I guess they did not care about stopping lol.

Are you saying you think this is the case for GT's? Front drums were standard on the Mach 1. I think the M-code GT my buddy has came with discs. My M-code Mach came with drums.

Gt's. I have seen some GT's (only a very few though and only online) that had drums but I think they must have been some sort of delete option or something, either that or they were not real GT's

Gt's. I have seen some GT's (only a very few though and only online) that had drums but I think they must have been some sort of delete option or something, either that or they were not real GT's

Even though it was a 68 not a 69 the 68 GT Coupe I had many years ago had front discs from the factory, and that was with a "j" code 302.

Mine is definately a real GT marti confirmed. And did not have disc brakes. I know of another that is same as mine except is H code and 4 speed. Without disc. Not sure why lol

I have never heard of power brakes or disc brakes as being any part of a package. I think, like power steering and radios, they were stand alone options.

well, disc brakes were part of the GT package until at least 67 for sure and I'm pretty sure they were part of the GT package for 68 and 69 as well. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm fairly sure of it.

Borrowed from another site: The 1969 Mustang GT sport option package included the 351ci Winsor V8, special handling options, racing stripes, dual exhaust, hood pin type latches, and styled wheels with Argent Silver trim and GT hubcaps and gas cap. The GT option($147 base upgrade) was offered on all body styles. Also, it looks like all power stuff (brakes, steering) is only optional on all lines in 1969.