Sign in to follow this  
70MACH-Dreamer

How to get Cornholed by the local Garage

That's probably supposed to be them then. So you took the wheel off already and checked then? Charging seperately to install that is ridiculous in any case, it literally takes a minute to snap them on so even if he gets $60 an hour that's a $1 charge, not $10.

Actually it looks like they charge $75/hr. I caught that when he showed me that they spent 3:15 on R&R the radiator. $243.75 / 75 = 3:15

I tried to read all the new threads, may have missed the answer to the dust caps. I'll answer, please skip if I repeat it!!

Take off the front wheels, in the center of the studs that hold the rim on is a dust cap that covers the front spindle inner and outer bearings. If they are new, they will be nice and shiny and not to many hammer marks from installing. Get a camara ( my guess they didn't add an new grease) just in case!

Just a hunch here, but my guess is they removed the front wheels to work on your marker lights and found them missing. If thats what happened , AW should have called you and offered that install or let you put some on. Then its your option!

I would check with the previous owner to see if he knows the status on the front dust covers before confronting the AW.

I tried to read all the new threads, may have missed the answer to the dust caps. I'll answer, please skip if I repeat it!!

Take off the front wheels, in the center of the studs that hold the rim on is a dust cap that covers the front spindle inner and outer bearings. If they are new, they will be nice and shiny and not to many hammer marks from installing. Get a camara ( my guess they didn't add an new grease) just in case!

Just a hunch here, but my guess is they removed the front wheels to work on your marker lights and found them missing. If thats what happened , AW should have called you and offered that install or let you put some on. Then its your option!

I would check with the previous owner to see if he knows the status on the front dust covers before confronting the AW.

One other item of interest is if they been in bussiness for a while why didn't they tell you about Tx laws on your car as an antique / classic's inspection differences cold of saved you allthe inspection $ you spent on it. Texas does not require inspections on antique's. Only on classics.

www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/veh_type.htm

pretty sure that depends on how you have the car registered and whether or not you have the antique vehicle plates on the car.

One other item of interest is if they been in bussiness for a while why didn't they tell you about Tx laws on your car as an antique / classic's inspection differences cold of saved you allthe inspection $ you spent on it. Texas does not require inspections on antique's. Only on classics.

www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/veh_type.htm

Yeah, but I want to be able to drive my car little more than I can with antique plates. Mostly weekends but occassionaly to work.

I drove it to work today. Its Fiesta season in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">San Antonio</st1:City> (its always Fiesta Season in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">San Antonio</st1:place></st1:City>, especially with Spurs continuing to kick Ass) so there wont be any traffic. Today is Battle of Flowers so nobody comes to work and schools are out. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Anyway got all the way across town 20 miles. Nervous the entire time but it seemed strong the entire way. When I get it parked I checked for leaks nothing showing. Popped the hood and saw radiator fluid had been coming out of the overflow valve. Waited for it to cool off and open the radiator cap and sure enough it looked dry as a bone. So now I'm wondering if my thermostat is working properly. Plus I need to get it back across town this afternoon. The temp gauge on the cluster doesn’t work so I can't tell how its running while I'm driving it. I wonder if I top it off if I'd be alright getting back home. Of if I should find a place to drain it put in a new thermostat and refill it.<o:p></o:p>

Hey, I understand on the reasons for inspection, thats the way I went.

Bic, you are correct on timing, just know you can't register car under Classic until its inspected and insured 1st. You don't do have to do the inspection onthe other if registered as a antique. I know egg and the chicken here, the fun was driving with no inspection and not in my name until it was inspected.

70 Mach,

On the water level, ckeck your oil at the stick. make sure its not colored like milk. If not I would fill it and take an extra gal of water with me. I would only worry if sitting in traffic, just take your time and if the oil or engine light comes on get it over and service the water level again. You should be OK. If that oil is over full and colored you have a bad head gasket or crack in the engine some where. GOOD LUCK!

There's lots of reasons for over heating and you could have all ready figured it out. replace and confirm. Gas burns the most efficient at a warm temp. I would put no higher than 190 deg stat.

Definately water in the oil. Checked the oil and looked like someone was making a cappacino in there. Wife is gonna be pissed. Now I'm on the other side of town and my options were to take it tow back to my side of town or take it to a shop my family knows on this side to get it diagnosed. I opted for the later with strict guidlines on what to do. Please oh please do not be a cracked block. I would have taken to these guys in the first place had they not been on the opposite side of town from my house, but sense I'm here...... Wow this hobby is expensive.

The positive is you found the oil and hopefully didn't damage that engine internaly!

Hope for a head gasket I guess? It could of been the original problem to cause your over heating to begin with.

You've done the right thing if its going to a quality place.

Ol'AW should have performed a radiator pressure / leak test before replacing the rad. and could a found the problem then, if it where a cracked block or head gasket! Thats what the shop your taking it to should do. Also should perform a compression check to zero in on the cylinder if a gasket. Depending on how hot it got it could be both gaskets.

I still fill your pain. Good luck again!

Yes, this whole deal does suck.

It is very easy to fall into this kind of problem and very hard to get out. If i could not do all that i did myself i doubt i would be as far and not got as deep in the build that i got. I did alot of research before i bought the car and much, much more after.And to not have the time, place, tools and/or knowhow to fix,repair,or replace as much as you can,this is the kind of lesson that rear's its very ugly head.

I hope this works out for 70MACH for the best. This is a pretty bad experience for just getting into this hobbie.

Oh and for the record,i have owned my 69 for goin on 8 years now with less than 10 miles of drive time:blink:. And most of that was getting it home. But that is soon to change!

John

ALAMO CLASSIC MUSTANG<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Avoid this place at all costs. Do not under any circumstance go to this shop. <o:p></o:p>

I brought the side markers back to the shop as agreed by the owner today. He was not there. I asked if I should come back when he is back. I was told that he left instructions on what I was returning as well as some calculations.<o:p></o:p>

I didn’t leave with these numbers so I will give the numbers as approximate.<o:p></o:p>

The note he left broke down the pieces something like this.<o:p></o:p>

1 Rear Side Marker Bezel $50.99<o:p></o:p>

1 Front RH Side Marker Bezel $35.99<o:p></o:p>

1 Front LH Side Marker Bezel $35.99<o:p></o:p>

1 RH Front Marker Lens $25.50<o:p></o:p>

1 LH Front Marker Lens $25.50<o:p></o:p>

1 RH Rear Lens $25.50<o:p></o:p>

2 Rear Side Marker Gaskets $3.60<o:p></o:p>

15% restocking fee<o:p></o:p>

Tax return 8%<o:p></o:p>

Final refund $186<o:p></o:p>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>

Now the guy running the counter was a young guy maybe 18. So I had no intrest or did I see a need to argue with him.<o:p></o:p>

Now by my ruff calculations I came to a number closer to $600 including labor. After all I not only did not asked for the side markers I had specifically told them not to install them. <o:p></o:p>

I told the kid at the counter that this wasn't going to work. I also asked "what about these fabricated housings? What am supposed to do with these?" He said that was in the labor and he wasn't going to refund them." <o:p></o:p>

"OK" I said. "Well I guess we will have to handle this another way". I gathered my $600 sidemarkers and told them to have a nice weekend.<o:p></o:p>

It was obvious that the owner had made up his mind on what he wanted and he was not interested in doing the right thing.<o:p></o:p>

I have tried to give these guys every opportunity to do the right thing. I was even willing to take a hit on the ridiculous markups and stretched out labor costs if he would at least consede the Side marker aspect. <o:p></o:p>

The fabricated housings take the cake. So instead of him buying housings from any major catalog for $20 he has his guys fabricate them at $75/hr and I can't even return them. UN-BE-LIEVABLE<o:p></o:p>

I have no choice but to explore every option to find justice.<o:p></o:p>

And to think all he had to do was provide some sort of estimate at some point, any point and this could have all been avoided.<o:p></o:p>

Just to let you know I really hope the guy gets what he deserves, but be careful. "IT IS A COURT OF LAW NOT JUSTICE" remember that, but stay strong talk to every mustang club, go on every forum, that will be far more damaging to his business.

What a pc of work this Alamo Classic Mustang out fit!

They post on their home page several supliers for parts assistance, 1st is Scote Drake. Took all of a couple of mins to find and confirm pricing on the lenses with housings. 34.95 ea!

http://www.scottdrake.net/prod_list.aspx?prodgrp_id=844&subsubcat_id=0&breadcrumb=Electrical+%26+Lighting+%3a%3a+Side+Lights+%26+Reflectors+%3a%3a+Side+Marker+Lens

You have to wonder since this pc of shit, who has been in bussiness since 1988, if they are still using a 1988 Scote Drake catalog? 20 yrs!!! No we know better here, they are in the bussiness of profiling customers and creative billing to pay for the 10,000 sq. ft. facility.

I'll bet 100.00 if you check around at the other local restorers, you'll here simular stories about the place.

You will survive this and if you run into me in the dfw area beware I will be spreading the word! Please let us know if you need more help!

I tried the e-mail this morning trying to confirm the POS's hrly rate, but it didn't work! I did a copy / paste?

I don't know if they have a Becky, but I'll e-mail her and ask if she knows one in the area.

Not my call on raisng hell on the e-mails, need to ask permission from 70 mach. Once he reachs the end with the smuk, I imagine he'll turn us loose!

Wondering about the water in his oil, that I'd bet they are a part of?

Yeah, I don't think anyone here should be harrasing this schmuck just yet, we don't want to give him any ammo if this goes to court. How would it look with a fistful of emails in his hands from folks not directly involved, harrassment is illegal too and two wrongs don't make a right. If everyone wants to show positive support then you should do one of those online petitions.

I totally feel for you 70Mach, this is a classic case of a dream come true turning into a nightmare, both with the car and potentially with the wife, I really hope the diagnosis comes back as the head gasket.

I know how excited you are but honestly, you need to stop using the car until this whole mess is behind you even if they fix this new issue easily. Driving around in a car with multiple issues and non working gauges is like playing russian roulette with only one empty chamber instead of one full one. If you damage it more than it is this can aid in their "your car is a piece of crap" defense card they seem to have tried and play on you already.

Don't harass the vendor until the court issues are settled!

Save the "fabricated" parts, they are evidence. Document everything. This guy will make things up in court to try and win. And get a lawyer that knows what they are talking about.