Sign in to follow this  
70MACH-Dreamer

How to get Cornholed by the local Garage

please do not tell me that this place is Johnny's Mustang City or the owners name is Johnny Gomez, if so i could have told you all about this scumbag before you ever picked up the phone book.

and everyone is right, in Texas a repair shop CAN NOT start working on your car without first giving you an estimate and while they can give you an estimate on the phone that estimate also has to be in writing and should be given to you when you pick up the car. also, the shop can not exceed that written estimate by more than 10 percent without first getting consent from you to proceed with the repairs at the adjusted etsimate.

however, they are aloowed to charge you for troubleshooting a problem to give said estimate so you have to be careful there as well and make sure they tell you what that is going to cost, most shops will give you a preset fee for troubleshooting unless you have an electrical problem then they get an hourly labor charge for any troubleshooting fees.

please do not tell me that this place is Johnny's Mustang City or the owners name is Johnny Gomez, if so i could have told you all about this scumbag before you ever picked up the phone book.

and everyone is right, in Texas a repair shop CAN NOT start working on your car without first giving you an estimate and while they can give you an estimate on the phone that estimate also has to be in writing and should be given to you when you pick up the car. also, the shop can not exceed that written estimate by more than 10 percent without first getting consent from you to proceed with the repairs at the adjusted etsimate.

however, they are aloowed to charge you for troubleshooting a problem to give said estimate so you have to be careful there as well and make sure they tell you what that is going to cost, most shops will give you a preset fee for troubleshooting unless you have an electrical problem then they get an hourly labor charge for any troubleshooting fees.

You know when one of these threads start off with got cornholed and its simple refrence to legal rape it gets my attention. His title says every thing as to why no one should be expected to take this as a freakin learning exsperence! Surely we've all done that to the tune of a couple of 100 bucks on Ebay.

He has done every thing asked of him according to the state of TX, it's now up to that AW to address the blanks on that receipt, hell I ain't no lawer here, but I'd take that case.

Then when you read that you can't get phone est. I figure if you call any of the other shops that restore cars and they have bound to of done a couple of stangs. How would any body charge for making marker parts when you can buy those with the radiator parts any where stang or camaro's.

I'd be all over this one before I'd did any explaining!!!

You know when one of these threads start off with got cornholed and its simple refrence to legal rape it gets my attention. His title says every thing as to why no one should be expected to take this as a freakin learning exsperence! Surely we've all done that to the tune of a couple of 100 bucks on Ebay.

He has done every thing asked of him according to the state of TX, it's now up to that AW to address the blanks on that receipt, hell I ain't no lawer here, but I'd take that case.

Then when you read that you can't get phone est. I figure if you call any of the other shops that restore cars and they have bound to of done a couple of stangs. How would any body charge for making marker parts when you can buy those with the radiator parts any where stang or camaro's.

I'd be all over this one before I'd did any explaining!!!

It does suck and I do feel for you man but I could see where things went wrong on your second paragragh "Anxious to get it on the road and no time available to do the work myself right now". Any predator will pray on the weak, it's instinct at the animal level, humans should be above that but only a rare few are. They knew you were in a rush and breaking down on the way there was the scent of blood in the air. No doubt they are wrong for proceeding with unauthorized work prior to estimate approval, unfortunately now that the bill is paid the burden lies with you to prove it. If I was to be them for a second I would claim "why weren't we told to stop on week one or week two". Obviously if you knew ahead of time how much it would cost, somehow either you would have found the time or suddenly have not been so anxious. Even when you pay good money for a car they are 40 years old and this is a hobby first and foremost. Don't think for a second that the gremlins have stopped here and at least you will be able to enjoy it for a few years before the next time. Things can and will go wrong at any time and any where.

Just curious but did you ever get the chance to look the car over in Florida before buying it or at least test drive it? Not that reading this link will make it better but it may take some of the sting away to know that folks have had it far worse than you: http://www.classicmustang.com/Stories/Skip%20Novakovich.html Like was said by others, if you learnt something from this mistake then not all the money was spent badly because it could have just saved you from making a mistake that costs 5 or 10 times more in the future.

Best of luck and I hope you get some satisfaction out of this in the end, if you have a stronger will to fight than this guy does you should be able to get something back at least so both sides are happy.

It does suck and I do feel for you man but I could see where things went wrong on your second paragragh "Anxious to get it on the road and no time available to do the work myself right now". Any predator will pray on the weak, it's instinct at the animal level, humans should be above that but only a rare few are. They knew you were in a rush and breaking down on the way there was the scent of blood in the air. No doubt they are wrong for proceeding with unauthorized work prior to estimate approval, unfortunately now that the bill is paid the burden lies with you to prove it. If I was to be them for a second I would claim "why weren't we told to stop on week one or week two". Obviously if you knew ahead of time how much it would cost, somehow either you would have found the time or suddenly have not been so anxious. Even when you pay good money for a car they are 40 years old and this is a hobby first and foremost. Don't think for a second that the gremlins have stopped here and at least you will be able to enjoy it for a few years before the next time. Things can and will go wrong at any time and any where.

Just curious but did you ever get the chance to look the car over in Florida before buying it or at least test drive it? Not that reading this link will make it better but it may take some of the sting away to know that folks have had it far worse than you: http://www.classicmustang.com/Stories/Skip%20Novakovich.html Like was said by others, if you learnt something from this mistake then not all the money was spent badly because it could have just saved you from making a mistake that costs 5 or 10 times more in the future.

Best of luck and I hope you get some satisfaction out of this in the end, if you have a stronger will to fight than this guy does you should be able to get something back at least so both sides are happy.

Your in TX, check the laws man ya got rights to have that est. row on that sheet a paper filled out, prior to any work being started on your car! If you go to this site it explains your options / do's and don'ts!

www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/car_repair.shtml

Like I said go get some estimates and hang on to that sheet of paper. All those blank items clearly show where they proceeded with out your full knowlege.

Please report the AW to the BBB.

Thanks for the link this wil be very useful. Especially the last section.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Resolving Disagreements Over The Bill

If the charge is much higher than the estimate, or if the work was done without your authorization and you feel that you have been overcharged, question the bill. Have the shop write out the reasons for the difference in cost, and keep this written explanation together with the work estimate, final bill, and other paperwork. Make sure the mechanic returns your old parts. (The mechanic may return some parts, such as alternators and brake shoes, to the parts supplier for a refund, so you may not be able to get all of them.)

Even if you are unsatisfied with the mechanic's explanation of the difference between the estimate and the final charge, or feel you have been cheated, pay the bill, making clear that you do not agree to it. You can then file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office and/or file a small claims court law suit against the mechanic.

If you refuse to pay a repair bill -- even a bill in dispute -- the mechanic has the legal right to keep your car until you pay. Even if you feel cheated, you should not pay with a check so you can regain possession of your car and then stop payment on the check -- your vehicle may still be repossessed. If you suspect that the repair shop has violated the law, and you can't get them to resolve the problem to your satisfaction, your first step should be to take your car to another repair shop. Give the second mechanic a copy of your itemized receipt and order an inspection of the alleged repairs and parts. Get this report in writing. If you notice the same problem with your car is recurring, or find a new problem that should not have arisen, you will be in a better position to negotiate a refund from the first mechanic if you get a second mechanic's opinion of the work done – in writing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'll be sure to let you guys know how this turns out.

Your in TX, check the laws man ya got rights to have that est. row on that sheet a paper filled out, prior to any work being started on your car! If you go to this site it explains your options / do's and don'ts!

www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/car_repair.shtml

Like I said go get some estimates and hang on to that sheet of paper. All those blank items clearly show where they proceeded with out your full knowlege.

Please report the AW to the BBB.

Thanks for the link this wil be very useful. Especially the last section.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Resolving Disagreements Over The Bill

If the charge is much higher than the estimate, or if the work was done without your authorization and you feel that you have been overcharged, question the bill. Have the shop write out the reasons for the difference in cost, and keep this written explanation together with the work estimate, final bill, and other paperwork. Make sure the mechanic returns your old parts. (The mechanic may return some parts, such as alternators and brake shoes, to the parts supplier for a refund, so you may not be able to get all of them.)

Even if you are unsatisfied with the mechanic's explanation of the difference between the estimate and the final charge, or feel you have been cheated, pay the bill, making clear that you do not agree to it. You can then file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office and/or file a small claims court law suit against the mechanic.

If you refuse to pay a repair bill -- even a bill in dispute -- the mechanic has the legal right to keep your car until you pay. Even if you feel cheated, you should not pay with a check so you can regain possession of your car and then stop payment on the check -- your vehicle may still be repossessed. If you suspect that the repair shop has violated the law, and you can't get them to resolve the problem to your satisfaction, your first step should be to take your car to another repair shop. Give the second mechanic a copy of your itemized receipt and order an inspection of the alleged repairs and parts. Get this report in writing. If you notice the same problem with your car is recurring, or find a new problem that should not have arisen, you will be in a better position to negotiate a refund from the first mechanic if you get a second mechanic's opinion of the work done – in writing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'll be sure to let you guys know how this turns out.

Nope it wasn't Johnny's. I want to give these guys a shot at making it right before I unleash the hounds.

I have sence gotten my inspection done and passed. Of course they never even looked at the side markers. I asked for a copy of the Inspection law. It states, as I told the owner, that side markers are not inspected unless its a bus or semi.

On several occassions I told the shop not to worry about the sidemarkers but they took it upon themselves to do it anyway.

Nope it wasn't Johnny's. I want to give these guys a shot at making it right before I unleash the hounds.

I have sence gotten my inspection done and passed. Of course they never even looked at the side markers. I asked for a copy of the Inspection law. It states, as I told the owner, that side markers are not inspected unless its a bus or semi.

On several occassions I told the shop not to worry about the sidemarkers but they took it upon themselves to do it anyway.

Why did you need new radiator brackets. what happened to the fan you drove in with. and why a new shroud.

Apparently my car has a little bit of a racing history in its past. (I bought it from some guys associated with Don Gartlis racing team.) There was no shroud and the fan in place was a racing fan. So at a stop light its not getting any help. Also the Radiator was jimmy rigged and was being supported by some cable ties. So thats the reason for the brackets.

When I add the total price of Radiator related items I come to $678. I could have gotten an alluminum fan and electric fan for that.

Why did you need new radiator brackets. what happened to the fan you drove in with. and why a new shroud.

Apparently my car has a little bit of a racing history in its past. (I bought it from some guys associated with Don Gartlis racing team.) There was no shroud and the fan in place was a racing fan. So at a stop light its not getting any help. Also the Radiator was jimmy rigged and was being supported by some cable ties. So thats the reason for the brackets.

When I add the total price of Radiator related items I come to $678. I could have gotten an alluminum fan and electric fan for that.

Well, I just left the mechanic to "discuss" the bill. My intention was to stay as calm as possible and for the most part the discussion was cordial with a few heated moments. In the end it looks like I will be getting some of the money back.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Here is a basic play by play. The best I remember of our face to face.<o:p></o:p>

-----------------------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>

I told him I wanted to talk about some problems I had with the bill. <o:p></o:p>

1. You never provided me with an estimate. Had I known the price was growing like it was I would have put a stop on the project once we got north of $1000. <o:p></o:p>

Reply: Well we didn’t really know how much it was going to cost......<o:p></o:p>

......well you were ordering parts and people were working so you had to have some idea of where we were.<o:p></o:p>

2. I requested an estimate almost on a daily basis and got nothing nor a timeline.<o:p></o:p>

3. You performed many services that I didn’t ask for, you even did some things I asked you not to do.<o:p></o:p>

Like what?<o:p></o:p>

Well, on several occasions I told you not to worry about the side markers because they weren't inspectable.<o:p></o:p>

Yes they are inspectable that is a working light it is inspectable what do you think they installed them for?<o:p></o:p>

Here is a copy of the Texas State inspection list from TXDOT (hand copy of law off of DPS website http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publications/rules/safety_manual/Chapter%204.htm#20.24) (He takes a moment to read that infact side markers are only inspected on Buses and Semis) <o:p></o:p>

This is wrong they are inspected<o:p></o:p>

Seriously? I am showing you the law and you still want to argue it.<o:p></o:p>

You wanted all those holes filled in.............<o:p></o:p>

I never once said that I told you I wanted the overheating problem to be fixed and to pass inspection, that is it. I can do all the work myself, there is nothing your shop can do that I can't do myself. (Probably shouldn’t have said that)<o:p></o:p>

Well why did you bring it to us then? On a tow truck?<o:p></o:p>

In the interest of time I brought to you because I believed it would be a short order and you were the logical choice you work on mustangs so you should be able to knock these things out in a few days. Now were 2 1/2 weeks later and $2400 lighter. <o:p></o:p>

The mandate was to pass inspection and you knowingly gave me things I didn’t need. i.e. you installed the backup lights and then told me you "couldn't find backup switch for the shifter, but that’s ok because you don’t need that for inspection". So you knew I didn't need them. I am not contesting the backup lights because I never told you not to install them, but I did tell you on several occasions not to install those side marker lights. If you remember you told me you were having a problem find some of the parts for the side markers and I told you again not to worry about the side markers and you replied that "if we can't find the parts we won’t do them" well you didn’t find them but you decided to fabricate them. I don't know why you couldn’t find the housing because on page 157 of the NPD catalog are the housings for $20. <o:p></o:p>

We don’t use NPD we are a whole saler.<o:p></o:p>

Maybe you should. I also found that unobtainable" backup switch for $15 there.<o:p></o:p>

I don't have a problem with you marking up prices but some of the prices are marked up 100%.<o:p></o:p>

We have great prices.<o:p></o:p>

Seriously? I can get every part cheaper than you charge, but that’s not my complaint. My complaint is that you never let me know how much this was costing me.<o:p></o:p>

I'll take that challenge on the parts<o:p></o:p>

Well I’m not interested in going down that road.<o:p></o:p>

Also you charged me for parts that I didn’t even get. You charged me $56 for antifreeze............I got a radiator full of water.<o:p></o:p>

That’s why I gave you the discount.<o:p></o:p>

Ahh, that’s why you gave me that. <o:p></o:p>

You charged me for 3 pig tails, and unless your guys painted the new wires the same color as my car and put some primer on them, I only got two.<o:p></o:p>

Well they ordered 3 so I assumed they used them all, I'll investigate that.<o:p></o:p>

So what about the rest of the problems?<o:p></o:p>

We were trying to help you.<o:p></o:p>

Mark I believe that, I really do. I also believe that you believe that, but the fact that you never let me know how much I was spending just isn’t fair. I don't think it an unreasonable expectation to have some idea what this was costing me.<o:p></o:p>

I was a little slow getting you an estimate<o:p></o:p>

Yes<o:p></o:p>

Fine, bring in your car and we'll take off the side markers and reimburse you.<o:p></o:p>

No, I'm not bringing my car back. I'll the parts off and bring them back.<o:p></o:p>

No, that’s we're not gonna do it like that. <o:p></o:p>

Yes, that’s the way its gonna work.<o:p></o:p>

Fine, make an appointment and bring back the parts.<o:p></o:p>

We don’t need your business<o:p></o:p>

Sorry it came to this.<o:p></o:p>

Sorry your car is a piece of junk and it cost that much to fix.<o:p></o:p>

OK<o:p></o:p>

---------------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>

So now that I had my vent with him. I really don't feel that great. I know that I am in the right, but I believe he thought he was helping me. So mixed bag. But you guys aren't shrinks so why am telling you?<o:p></o:p>

I took the side markers off already so we'll see what happens next.<o:p></o:p>

Well, I just left the mechanic to "discuss" the bill. My intention was to stay as calm as possible and for the most part the discussion was cordial with a few heated moments. In the end it looks like I will be getting some of the money back.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Here is a basic play by play. The best I remember of our face to face.<o:p></o:p>

-----------------------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>

I told him I wanted to talk about some problems I had with the bill. <o:p></o:p>

1. You never provided me with an estimate. Had I known the price was growing like it was I would have put a stop on the project once we got north of $1000. <o:p></o:p>

Reply: Well we didn’t really know how much it was going to cost......<o:p></o:p>

......well you were ordering parts and people were working so you had to have some idea of where we were.<o:p></o:p>

2. I requested an estimate almost on a daily basis and got nothing nor a timeline.<o:p></o:p>

3. You performed many services that I didn’t ask for, you even did some things I asked you not to do.<o:p></o:p>

Like what?<o:p></o:p>

Well, on several occasions I told you not to worry about the side markers because they weren't inspectable.<o:p></o:p>

Yes they are inspectable that is a working light it is inspectable what do you think they installed them for?<o:p></o:p>

Here is a copy of the Texas State inspection list from TXDOT (hand copy of law off of DPS website http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publications/rules/safety_manual/Chapter%204.htm#20.24) (He takes a moment to read that infact side markers are only inspected on Buses and Semis) <o:p></o:p>

This is wrong they are inspected<o:p></o:p>

Seriously? I am showing you the law and you still want to argue it.<o:p></o:p>

You wanted all those holes filled in.............<o:p></o:p>

I never once said that I told you I wanted the overheating problem to be fixed and to pass inspection, that is it. I can do all the work myself, there is nothing your shop can do that I can't do myself. (Probably shouldn’t have said that)<o:p></o:p>

Well why did you bring it to us then? On a tow truck?<o:p></o:p>

In the interest of time I brought to you because I believed it would be a short order and you were the logical choice you work on mustangs so you should be able to knock these things out in a few days. Now were 2 1/2 weeks later and $2400 lighter. <o:p></o:p>

The mandate was to pass inspection and you knowingly gave me things I didn’t need. i.e. you installed the backup lights and then told me you "couldn't find backup switch for the shifter, but that’s ok because you don’t need that for inspection". So you knew I didn't need them. I am not contesting the backup lights because I never told you not to install them, but I did tell you on several occasions not to install those side marker lights. If you remember you told me you were having a problem find some of the parts for the side markers and I told you again not to worry about the side markers and you replied that "if we can't find the parts we won’t do them" well you didn’t find them but you decided to fabricate them. I don't know why you couldn’t find the housing because on page 157 of the NPD catalog are the housings for $20. <o:p></o:p>

We don’t use NPD we are a whole saler.<o:p></o:p>

Maybe you should. I also found that unobtainable" backup switch for $15 there.<o:p></o:p>

I don't have a problem with you marking up prices but some of the prices are marked up 100%.<o:p></o:p>

We have great prices.<o:p></o:p>

Seriously? I can get every part cheaper than you charge, but that’s not my complaint. My complaint is that you never let me know how much this was costing me.<o:p></o:p>

I'll take that challenge on the parts<o:p></o:p>

Well I’m not interested in going down that road.<o:p></o:p>

Also you charged me for parts that I didn’t even get. You charged me $56 for antifreeze............I got a radiator full of water.<o:p></o:p>

That’s why I gave you the discount.<o:p></o:p>

Ahh, that’s why you gave me that. <o:p></o:p>

You charged me for 3 pig tails, and unless your guys painted the new wires the same color as my car and put some primer on them, I only got two.<o:p></o:p>

Well they ordered 3 so I assumed they used them all, I'll investigate that.<o:p></o:p>

So what about the rest of the problems?<o:p></o:p>

We were trying to help you.<o:p></o:p>

Mark I believe that, I really do. I also believe that you believe that, but the fact that you never let me know how much I was spending just isn’t fair. I don't think it an unreasonable expectation to have some idea what this was costing me.<o:p></o:p>

I was a little slow getting you an estimate<o:p></o:p>

Yes<o:p></o:p>

Fine, bring in your car and we'll take off the side markers and reimburse you.<o:p></o:p>

No, I'm not bringing my car back. I'll the parts off and bring them back.<o:p></o:p>

No, that’s we're not gonna do it like that. <o:p></o:p>

Yes, that’s the way its gonna work.<o:p></o:p>

Fine, make an appointment and bring back the parts.<o:p></o:p>

We don’t need your business<o:p></o:p>

Sorry it came to this.<o:p></o:p>

Sorry your car is a piece of junk and it cost that much to fix.<o:p></o:p>

OK<o:p></o:p>

---------------------------------------------------------<o:p></o:p>

So now that I had my vent with him. I really don't feel that great. I know that I am in the right, but I believe he thought he was helping me. So mixed bag. But you guys aren't shrinks so why am telling you?<o:p></o:p>

I took the side markers off already so we'll see what happens next.<o:p></o:p>