Sign in to follow this  
70MACH-Dreamer

How to get Cornholed by the local Garage

I am sick to my stomach right now. I just got the ramrod from the local mustang restoration shop. I'm now $2400 lighter but I got some really expensive fabricated side marker housings out of the deal so hey it was worth it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I just got my car 3 weeks ago. The engine is solid and the body straight, but there were a few things it needed to pass inspection. Anxious to get it on the road and no time available to do the work myself right now. I figured I'd take it to the local Mustang restoration shop, surely they would be able to get the car turned around in relatively short order.<o:p></o:p>

I drove the car to the shop, luckily the shop it is only about 5 miles from my house. On the way, about 2 miles from the shop the stang overheated. Stranded on the side of the road I called the shop, they were nice enough to send out a couple of mechanics to see if they could get me the rest of the way. After refilling the radiator the car still wouldn’t start due to some flooding. Traffic was picking up and not wanting to risk any more problems, we decided to just have the car towed the rest of the way.<o:p></o:p>

The shop closed at 6pm but since they knew my car was on the way the Shop owner decided to hang around until it got there 7:30. I'm already loving the personal attention I was getting. The next morning I called the shop to tell them what I wanted done. I told them I want to get the car to a point that it passes inspection anything other than that I would do myself, I just wanted to get it on the road to be able to enjoy it. Obviously I also needed to have the overheating problem corrected. I asked for some sort of estimate as soon as possible. He told me he would get me one once they start looking at the car.<o:p></o:p>

Week 1: Radiator<o:p></o:p>

Apparently the radiator was 75% impacted, but it was fixable. It took a week to get the radiator done. Still no estimate or any idea how much this gonna cost me.<o:p></o:p>

Week 2: Install Radiator order parts<o:p></o:p>

So after a week the repaired radiator gets reinstalled. Its obvious these guys aren’t in a rush, but surely it wouldn’t be to much longer once they actually stated working on my car. Still no numbers in front of me, even though I ask for something almost on a daily basis. I guess I'm just too much of trusting guy, and in my head I'm trying to come up with my own numbers. <o:p></o:p>

They start to order parts.....LH front blinker, all 4 side marker lights, backup lights, e-brake. I told them not to worry about the side marker lights because I didn’t think they were inspected. <o:p></o:p>

Week 3: Install ordered parts<o:p></o:p>

Its obvious these guys are in no rush, they can tell I am getting frustrated at this point because I either call or show up every day asking for some numbers and a date when I can expect completion. There having all these problems, apparently its sooo hard to work on my car, but I'm told "we're getting there". I get a call on Thursday to let me know my car is almost done, but my idler bar is dangerously loose and should really be replaced. I ask what’s that gonna cost me $85 for part $50 labor. Wow! They do give numbers. I'm so happy at the prospect of getting my car back today I give the green light on the idler bar. Leave work early and drive across town to the shop and find the mechanic working on the horn and they tell me they still having some problems getting the horn working. So its not ready yet. The shop owner tells me he is putting my numbers together now, he'd let me know tomorrow. Also they told me they couldn't locate the housing for my side marker lights anywhere, they just dont exist I was told. So they fabricated some. I reminded them that I don't believe I need the side marker lights for inspection, he tells me yes I do. <o:p></o:p>

Friday I show up after work and find 2 mechanics working on my horn. It still doesn’t work and they have wiring diagrams trying to find the problem. So its still not ready, but it should be ready tomorrow. I told them I have some people coming into town and i need to get it back. "Why don’t you just bring your people the shop?" I was asked. Sure, I'd love to show off my car while its in a shop. Then he tells me he is putting my numbers together and we are at about $2K so far. My jaw drops and I'm in shock. How could that be? He shows me the write-up but I can't even focus right now. I'm wondering how I'm gonna tell my wife that. I leave in total disbelief.<o:p></o:p>

Saturday I call to tell them I will be in to pick up it up at 2:00. They told me its ready and they want to drive it around the block as they put the radiator on and they want to make sure the overheating problem is fixed. I show up at 3:00 and the mechanic is driving it now to check the car. He has a filter on the upper radiator hose and when he pulls it off there is some sediment in the filter and suggests I let him flush the radiator and run it again with the filter. So he does it and there is still some sediment in the filter. They want to keep it until it runs clean. I told them I am taking now regardless. Then they tell me the battery isn’t charging and I should really leave it there so they can figure out the problem. I say no I'm gonna take it I'll figure that out myself. BTW they ended up putting in two new horns. Now its time to pay the bill. The owner shows me the bill $2530, but he's gonna give me deal and only charge me $2400. I go over the bill $1200 parts and $1200 labor. I was trying to look at the bill and figure out where the money went and once again ask why he did things I told him I didn't need. i.e. side markers. <o:p></o:p>

Like an idiot I paid the bill and drive home trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay for this. Then about 2 miles from my house the car dies. Appears to be the fuel pump or carburetor cause I'm not getting any squirt. So now I had to get it towed to my house. Now after 3 weeks in the shop I still have an undrivable car in my driveway and I'm $2465 lighter.<o:p></o:p>

I am sick to my stomach right now. I just got the ramrod from the local mustang restoration shop. I'm now $2400 lighter but I got some really expensive fabricated side marker housings out of the deal so hey it was worth it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I just got my car 3 weeks ago. The engine is solid and the body straight, but there were a few things it needed to pass inspection. Anxious to get it on the road and no time available to do the work myself right now. I figured I'd take it to the local Mustang restoration shop, surely they would be able to get the car turned around in relatively short order.<o:p></o:p>

I drove the car to the shop, luckily the shop it is only about 5 miles from my house. On the way, about 2 miles from the shop the stang overheated. Stranded on the side of the road I called the shop, they were nice enough to send out a couple of mechanics to see if they could get me the rest of the way. After refilling the radiator the car still wouldn’t start due to some flooding. Traffic was picking up and not wanting to risk any more problems, we decided to just have the car towed the rest of the way.<o:p></o:p>

The shop closed at 6pm but since they knew my car was on the way the Shop owner decided to hang around until it got there 7:30. I'm already loving the personal attention I was getting. The next morning I called the shop to tell them what I wanted done. I told them I want to get the car to a point that it passes inspection anything other than that I would do myself, I just wanted to get it on the road to be able to enjoy it. Obviously I also needed to have the overheating problem corrected. I asked for some sort of estimate as soon as possible. He told me he would get me one once they start looking at the car.<o:p></o:p>

Week 1: Radiator<o:p></o:p>

Apparently the radiator was 75% impacted, but it was fixable. It took a week to get the radiator done. Still no estimate or any idea how much this gonna cost me.<o:p></o:p>

Week 2: Install Radiator order parts<o:p></o:p>

So after a week the repaired radiator gets reinstalled. Its obvious these guys aren’t in a rush, but surely it wouldn’t be to much longer once they actually stated working on my car. Still no numbers in front of me, even though I ask for something almost on a daily basis. I guess I'm just too much of trusting guy, and in my head I'm trying to come up with my own numbers. <o:p></o:p>

They start to order parts.....LH front blinker, all 4 side marker lights, backup lights, e-brake. I told them not to worry about the side marker lights because I didn’t think they were inspected. <o:p></o:p>

Week 3: Install ordered parts<o:p></o:p>

Its obvious these guys are in no rush, they can tell I am getting frustrated at this point because I either call or show up every day asking for some numbers and a date when I can expect completion. There having all these problems, apparently its sooo hard to work on my car, but I'm told "we're getting there". I get a call on Thursday to let me know my car is almost done, but my idler bar is dangerously loose and should really be replaced. I ask what’s that gonna cost me $85 for part $50 labor. Wow! They do give numbers. I'm so happy at the prospect of getting my car back today I give the green light on the idler bar. Leave work early and drive across town to the shop and find the mechanic working on the horn and they tell me they still having some problems getting the horn working. So its not ready yet. The shop owner tells me he is putting my numbers together now, he'd let me know tomorrow. Also they told me they couldn't locate the housing for my side marker lights anywhere, they just dont exist I was told. So they fabricated some. I reminded them that I don't believe I need the side marker lights for inspection, he tells me yes I do. <o:p></o:p>

Friday I show up after work and find 2 mechanics working on my horn. It still doesn’t work and they have wiring diagrams trying to find the problem. So its still not ready, but it should be ready tomorrow. I told them I have some people coming into town and i need to get it back. "Why don’t you just bring your people the shop?" I was asked. Sure, I'd love to show off my car while its in a shop. Then he tells me he is putting my numbers together and we are at about $2K so far. My jaw drops and I'm in shock. How could that be? He shows me the write-up but I can't even focus right now. I'm wondering how I'm gonna tell my wife that. I leave in total disbelief.<o:p></o:p>

Saturday I call to tell them I will be in to pick up it up at 2:00. They told me its ready and they want to drive it around the block as they put the radiator on and they want to make sure the overheating problem is fixed. I show up at 3:00 and the mechanic is driving it now to check the car. He has a filter on the upper radiator hose and when he pulls it off there is some sediment in the filter and suggests I let him flush the radiator and run it again with the filter. So he does it and there is still some sediment in the filter. They want to keep it until it runs clean. I told them I am taking now regardless. Then they tell me the battery isn’t charging and I should really leave it there so they can figure out the problem. I say no I'm gonna take it I'll figure that out myself. BTW they ended up putting in two new horns. Now its time to pay the bill. The owner shows me the bill $2530, but he's gonna give me deal and only charge me $2400. I go over the bill $1200 parts and $1200 labor. I was trying to look at the bill and figure out where the money went and once again ask why he did things I told him I didn't need. i.e. side markers. <o:p></o:p>

Like an idiot I paid the bill and drive home trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay for this. Then about 2 miles from my house the car dies. Appears to be the fuel pump or carburetor cause I'm not getting any squirt. So now I had to get it towed to my house. Now after 3 weeks in the shop I still have an undrivable car in my driveway and I'm $2465 lighter.<o:p></o:p>

Sorry to hear this man..... If it makes you feel any better I just got reamed having new rodends/bushings put on the front of my truck. First estimate was 600 in parts and 300 labor..... well the mech couldn't get my front end apart without air-hammering my wheel bearings...... so I ended up paying 2200 dollars for shit I could have done in my driveway for about 700 bucks.... what a ripoff.

-Steve

Sorry to hear this man..... If it makes you feel any better I just got reamed having new rodends/bushings put on the front of my truck. First estimate was 600 in parts and 300 labor..... well the mech couldn't get my front end apart without air-hammering my wheel bearings...... so I ended up paying 2200 dollars for shit I could have done in my driveway for about 700 bucks.... what a ripoff.

-Steve

Damn, that's a bitter pill to swallow.

I understand your just wanting to drive the car and get stuff done, though. That's how I started out with my pony (about $500 or more in transmission work, just a reseal to stop a very small leak, not even a full rebuild, when I could have bought a brand new C-6 for just a couple hundred more).

Now, I'll give my hand at anything wrong. If I get in over my head, then I'll get it to a mechanic. Even blindly replacing parts can be cheaper than paying ridiculous rates like you got socked with. I coulda bought a whole lotta parts I didn't need for that $1200, lol.

Anyway, I feel your pain.

Keep your steam up!

BTW, on that "getting no spray"...feed your fuel pump from a gas can sitting next to the car rather than the gas tank, and see if it will run (may need to get a short piece of hose for this). If you get fuel spray, then your clog is in the line back from there. Just start narrowing the blockage down...could be several things, but isolating where the cloggage is the first thing you need to do.

Damn, that's a bitter pill to swallow.

I understand your just wanting to drive the car and get stuff done, though. That's how I started out with my pony (about $500 or more in transmission work, just a reseal to stop a very small leak, not even a full rebuild, when I could have bought a brand new C-6 for just a couple hundred more).

Now, I'll give my hand at anything wrong. If I get in over my head, then I'll get it to a mechanic. Even blindly replacing parts can be cheaper than paying ridiculous rates like you got socked with. I coulda bought a whole lotta parts I didn't need for that $1200, lol.

Anyway, I feel your pain.

Keep your steam up!

BTW, on that "getting no spray"...feed your fuel pump from a gas can sitting next to the car rather than the gas tank, and see if it will run (may need to get a short piece of hose for this). If you get fuel spray, then your clog is in the line back from there. Just start narrowing the blockage down...could be several things, but isolating where the cloggage is the first thing you need to do.

I fill the pain!

In TX, any repair shop has to provide an est. before they start to do repairs and they have to return all worn or replaced parts if you want them to if you elect to let them do the work.

Call around and try to get three est. see if they will come in lower. If so call the Ass Wipe and inform he he has a chance to make things right. if not report the AW to the BBB!

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

It will really have weight if he's a current member, if not it'll have an effect if the AW ever wants to join.

See this association is like neg. feedback, except he can't get them off his back unless you let them off!

If that don't work, get some hand outs stating excatly what you stated above, hand out at every car show with in 50 miles!!! Call the AW and tell him! Be sure not to threaten, just informing your freinds! Surley he has a few freinds!

I fill the pain!

In TX, any repair shop has to provide an est. before they start to do repairs and they have to return all worn or replaced parts if you want them to if you elect to let them do the work.

Call around and try to get three est. see if they will come in lower. If so call the Ass Wipe and inform he he has a chance to make things right. if not report the AW to the BBB!

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

It will really have weight if he's a current member, if not it'll have an effect if the AW ever wants to join.

See this association is like neg. feedback, except he can't get them off his back unless you let them off!

If that don't work, get some hand outs stating excatly what you stated above, hand out at every car show with in 50 miles!!! Call the AW and tell him! Be sure not to threaten, just informing your freinds! Surley he has a few freinds!

Welcome to (insert favorite hobby here) <INSERT here hobby favorite>and being anxious to get (insert female name of said hobby here) <INSERT said name here hobby of female>started. You are guilty of the human condition known as "man I can't wait to get her on the road". Fortunately (or maybe not) you are not alone. I think everyone here has a story something like yours to one degree or another. The best thing you can do is not let it get you too down and to learn from it....

Learning from it can be hard to remember so for people like me it takes two or more "lessons" for it to sink in. Now I try to do more research, do what I can myself, plan as best as possible and double any initial cost estimate to get in the ball park of what it really will cost and live by NEFE..... NEFE is from a Chevy buddy of mine. Nothing Ever Fits Ever!

Seriously though, I do farm out a certain amount of car work so now I look at the "true" cost, expected completion time and condition and a contract or some form of payment, work to be done and time frame in writing. Best for everyone really. Those that don't want to do that, I move on.

But at the end of the day you have one of the coolest, meanest muscle cars of the era of muscle cars and not many others can claim that. Not too shabby IMO....

Welcome to (insert favorite hobby here) <INSERT here hobby favorite>and being anxious to get (insert female name of said hobby here) <INSERT said name here hobby of female>started. You are guilty of the human condition known as "man I can't wait to get her on the road". Fortunately (or maybe not) you are not alone. I think everyone here has a story something like yours to one degree or another. The best thing you can do is not let it get you too down and to learn from it....

Learning from it can be hard to remember so for people like me it takes two or more "lessons" for it to sink in. Now I try to do more research, do what I can myself, plan as best as possible and double any initial cost estimate to get in the ball park of what it really will cost and live by NEFE..... NEFE is from a Chevy buddy of mine. Nothing Ever Fits Ever!

Seriously though, I do farm out a certain amount of car work so now I look at the "true" cost, expected completion time and condition and a contract or some form of payment, work to be done and time frame in writing. Best for everyone really. Those that don't want to do that, I move on.

But at the end of the day you have one of the coolest, meanest muscle cars of the era of muscle cars and not many others can claim that. Not too shabby IMO....

Thanks for all the positive response, it's nice to know I'm not the only one whos been taken to the cleaners.

Just after i posted this morning I started working on the car. I got her rumbling now. I wasn't sure if it was the Carb or Fuel pump. I pulled the fuel line off of the carb and drop it in a jar. Turned the key and had fuel pumping so not the pump. During this I spilt some fuel. While I was cleaning off the fuel I spilt on the engine. I notice a loose line to the Carb. (You'll have to forgive me I'm no mechanic so I dont know what every part is called, but I can figure out most things as long as logic can be applied, so women dont apply.) This line appears to be going back to the distributer cap. I hadn't noticed it being loose before, it was nestled inbetween a couple of items and it looked like it was correct. I found a place that it looks like it should go, pumped the carb and voila. She has juice. Also now the Tachometer works, so I guess these are realted somehow.

Spent the rest of the day flushing out the radiator, I have a filter in the upper hose so I run it for a few minutes then check the filter. Still cant get it all out. Its apparent to me that when they pulled the radiator they didnt flush the block. No matter how many times I run it the Water stays Red/brown and I there is all kinds of sediment left in the filter each time. I'm talking black stuff, white stuff, red stuff...... particles seem to be as big as 1/4 in diameter and hard.

While I was working on the car I couldn't stop thinking about the rippoff I just took. I wanted to get the car inspected today but I can't find anyone to inspect on Sunday, this would give me ammo in verifying if side markers are inspected or not. I plan on going back and finding out what can be done to make this right. I found those impossible to find side marker housings at NPD for $20. Also I didnt mention that they said they couldnt locate the backup switch for a hurst shifter becaue it did not exist either. Yeah I ordered one of those from mustang plus today for $25 today. Funny thing is they said not to worry about the backup lights because those arent inspected, so why did I get new backup light assemblies installed?

Anyway at least she is running now. I got to put some miles on her

Thanks for all the positive response, it's nice to know I'm not the only one whos been taken to the cleaners.

Just after i posted this morning I started working on the car. I got her rumbling now. I wasn't sure if it was the Carb or Fuel pump. I pulled the fuel line off of the carb and drop it in a jar. Turned the key and had fuel pumping so not the pump. During this I spilt some fuel. While I was cleaning off the fuel I spilt on the engine. I notice a loose line to the Carb. (You'll have to forgive me I'm no mechanic so I dont know what every part is called, but I can figure out most things as long as logic can be applied, so women dont apply.) This line appears to be going back to the distributer cap. I hadn't noticed it being loose before, it was nestled inbetween a couple of items and it looked like it was correct. I found a place that it looks like it should go, pumped the carb and voila. She has juice. Also now the Tachometer works, so I guess these are realted somehow.

Spent the rest of the day flushing out the radiator, I have a filter in the upper hose so I run it for a few minutes then check the filter. Still cant get it all out. Its apparent to me that when they pulled the radiator they didnt flush the block. No matter how many times I run it the Water stays Red/brown and I there is all kinds of sediment left in the filter each time. I'm talking black stuff, white stuff, red stuff...... particles seem to be as big as 1/4 in diameter and hard.

While I was working on the car I couldn't stop thinking about the rippoff I just took. I wanted to get the car inspected today but I can't find anyone to inspect on Sunday, this would give me ammo in verifying if side markers are inspected or not. I plan on going back and finding out what can be done to make this right. I found those impossible to find side marker housings at NPD for $20. Also I didnt mention that they said they couldnt locate the backup switch for a hurst shifter becaue it did not exist either. Yeah I ordered one of those from mustang plus today for $25 today. Funny thing is they said not to worry about the backup lights because those arent inspected, so why did I get new backup light assemblies installed?

Anyway at least she is running now. I got to put some miles on her

Man, sorry about your bad experience. True good shops seem to be getting hard to find any more.

Like most this may help with you wanting to do some of the work yourself. Should help with some of the less complicated jobs.

Glad to see it is running and hope the inspection goes well.

Man, sorry about your bad experience. True good shops seem to be getting hard to find any more.

Like most this may help with you wanting to do some of the work yourself. Should help with some of the less complicated jobs.

Glad to see it is running and hope the inspection goes well.

Your in TX, check the laws man ya got rights to have that est. row on that sheet a paper filled out, prior to any work being started on your car! If you go to this site it explains your options / do's and don'ts!

www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/car_repair.shtml

Like I said go get some estimates and hang on to that sheet of paper. All those blank items clearly show where they proceeded with out your full knowlege.

Please report the AW to the BBB.

Your in TX, check the laws man ya got rights to have that est. row on that sheet a paper filled out, prior to any work being started on your car! If you go to this site it explains your options / do's and don'ts!

www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/car_repair.shtml

Like I said go get some estimates and hang on to that sheet of paper. All those blank items clearly show where they proceeded with out your full knowlege.

Please report the AW to the BBB.

I am with Reese on this, this is total BS and you should load all your ammo and tell the owner that you are ready to strike. Don`t just sit there and be mad do something about it. I have a feeling you could swing a pretty big sword his way. You need to make flyers like was said before stating just the way it happened, that no request for estimate was answered when asked repeatedly. You need to make signs like " for sale size signs " saying that this shop (name) will rip you off don`t do business with them. have several you can post about the neighborhood. Find every mustang club within 200 miles or more, and make a list of them, also every car show that you can find in the area or further. Have a copy of the BBB #s and that website that was mentioned earlier on rip offs also on a printed paper. Have all of these ready (nice pics of sign etc and text on paper) in a nice binder; organized so you just flip page after page of each to show the steps your taken . Then, find out if the man at the shop you dealt with is the owner? If so fine, if not find the owner and talk with him. Tell them your game plan of what you plan to do with all the materials you show him.#2 You say this guy is a local " mustang restoration shop" find the local club and check them out and ask ?`s about this shop. Bottom line is take a little time to do these things and see it through, and finally if you dont like the results file a papers in the small claims court and see it through there. Good Luck and see it through because that is alot of $$$

I am with Reese on this, this is total BS and you should load all your ammo and tell the owner that you are ready to strike. Don`t just sit there and be mad do something about it. I have a feeling you could swing a pretty big sword his way. You need to make flyers like was said before stating just the way it happened, that no request for estimate was answered when asked repeatedly. You need to make signs like " for sale size signs " saying that this shop (name) will rip you off don`t do business with them. have several you can post about the neighborhood. Find every mustang club within 200 miles or more, and make a list of them, also every car show that you can find in the area or further. Have a copy of the BBB #s and that website that was mentioned earlier on rip offs also on a printed paper. Have all of these ready (nice pics of sign etc and text on paper) in a nice binder; organized so you just flip page after page of each to show the steps your taken . Then, find out if the man at the shop you dealt with is the owner? If so fine, if not find the owner and talk with him. Tell them your game plan of what you plan to do with all the materials you show him.#2 You say this guy is a local " mustang restoration shop" find the local club and check them out and ask ?`s about this shop. Bottom line is take a little time to do these things and see it through, and finally if you dont like the results file a papers in the small claims court and see it through there. Good Luck and see it through because that is alot of $$$