Sign in to follow this  
S code 69

Neutral safety switch wires

I don't have any harness to connect my floor shift neutral safety switch to anything, I have the plug in on the floor shifter but nothing to connect it to. does this connect somewhere under the dash or to the firewall plugs? and does anyone repop a harness for it? it seems the lighting harness is repoped but all I get is a question mark when I ask about the safety switch . thanks

I don't have any harness to connect my floor shift neutral safety switch to anything, I have the plug in on the floor shifter but nothing to connect it to. does this connect somewhere under the dash or to the firewall plugs? and does anyone repop a harness for it? it seems the lighting harness is repoped but all I get is a question mark when I ask about the safety switch . thanks

If your looking for the switch I think it would be under the dash, look at the 69 diagram at http://midlife66.com/wiring/wiring.html look at "69Must2" file... Under the hood at the starter relay there is a "red-blue" wire that runs from the starter relay to the bulkhead connector through the firewall then from the bulkhead connector under the dash to the neutral safety switch.... You also have wires that come from the backup lights to the switch area.... The following wires are at the neutral safety switch...

There are 4 wires, 2 wires are Black-Red and the 2 other wires are Red-Blue

Black-Red, to the rear backup lights

Red-Blue, to starter relay

Red-Blue, to ignition switch

Black-Red, to fuse block and connects to a white-black wire to the wiper switch, fuse controls backup lights and wiper switch.....

Hope this helps...

If your looking for the switch I think it would be under the dash, look at the 69 diagram at http://midlife66.com/wiring/wiring.html look at "69Must2" file... Under the hood at the starter relay there is a "red-blue" wire that runs from the starter relay to the bulkhead connector through the firewall then from the bulkhead connector under the dash to the neutral safety switch.... You also have wires that come from the backup lights to the switch area.... The following wires are at the neutral safety switch...

There are 4 wires, 2 wires are Black-Red and the 2 other wires are Red-Blue

Black-Red, to the rear backup lights

Red-Blue, to starter relay

Red-Blue, to ignition switch

Black-Red, to fuse block and connects to a white-black wire to the wiper switch, fuse controls backup lights and wiper switch.....

Hope this helps...

The safety switch plug is a four terminal connector coming from the firewall next to the master cylinder. Two ports are male and two are female. This plugs connects to the safety switch that mounts to the shifter on the side of the transmission. I've seen and been told of other cars where the switch goes bad and PO just run a jumper wire on the firewall pigtail to jumper it out. But then again that info applies to automatic transmissions.

The safety switch plug is a four terminal connector coming from the firewall next to the master cylinder. Two ports are male and two are female. This plugs connects to the safety switch that mounts to the shifter on the side of the transmission. I've seen and been told of other cars where the switch goes bad and PO just run a jumper wire on the firewall pigtail to jumper it out. But then again that info applies to automatic transmissions.

Thanks guys, that probably runs the reverse light too I'll bet? now I just have to find one or at least the plug ins to make one.

I've been a Mopar guy until now and this is the first Ford product I've ever restored, I have to say the parts supply it great for the most part for Mustangs but in the electrical reproduction end of things Mustang's are WAY behind Mopar or any other car I've worked with. I don't understand how a car this popular is so hard to get wiring for.

Thanks guys, that probably runs the reverse light too I'll bet? now I just have to find one or at least the plug ins to make one.

I've been a Mopar guy until now and this is the first Ford product I've ever restored, I have to say the parts supply it great for the most part for Mustangs but in the electrical reproduction end of things Mustang's are WAY behind Mopar or any other car I've worked with. I don't understand how a car this popular is so hard to get wiring for.

Yes your correct, that switch controls both the ignition switch to the starter relay and also from the fuse box to the backup lights.... I have 2 mopars, 1 ford, 1 chevy and 1 pontiac.... Love them all... the mustang .... ah yes tight under the hood...

Yes your correct, that switch controls both the ignition switch to the starter relay and also from the fuse box to the backup lights.... I have 2 mopars, 1 ford, 1 chevy and 1 pontiac.... Love them all... the mustang .... ah yes tight under the hood...

I made a 3' jumper with the two male plugs that I found at Ace hardware - crimp on type "blue" size that took care of the NSS.... other two wires went to a switch on the Hurst transmission linkage (manual) and connected to the two coming through the firewall for reverse lights

normally the back up lights and nuetral safety switch wires come out of the firewall with the enigine bay stuff and runs down to the trans.

I just installed a b@m shifter plus a painless harness so now it goes from the dash to the shifter instead of the engine bay to the tranny....

Im not really sure if thats what you wanted to know but I hope it helps. Good Luck!!