Sign in to follow this  
burritoboi5

Should I start cutting.....?

Redo the front and add a year to the build?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Redo the front and add a year to the build?

• Do it ! that's what the plasma cutter is for !
    • Modify it and think about doing it later once you have some road time.

Hahaha Yea.... if you knew me you would know that I'll probably change my mind ten more times before I actually start arcing some cuts. I am taking the advice of B about the front coilovers and will probably keep the sheetmetal structure up there stock for now atleast and see how I like the air setup. It's not that I don't like the coilovers, don't get me wrong I think theyre a really well made piece of kit. It's just that this mustang is my baby, the truck is a fun project but it is built out of utility, the mustang though needs to be perfect, and in my head that means being able to slam it with the flip of a switch :tongue:

-Steve

well, it is your car and i think as long as you keep it at least looking like a classic stang on the outside then that's probably good enough, i'd still keep the front structure intact at least until you get the rear done anyway and then decide if you really want to go cutting it out. i could understand more if you were putting in a boss '9 and wanted to cut the towers out or whatever but if you're going to keep the small block i really don't see any need to cut the towers out, but that's just me.

still you might look seriously at that CPP kit that converts the lower control arm to a true A-arm setup. i really wanted to do this kit myself but i just can't bring myself to even cut out the strut mounts which are basically just spot welded on with a couple skip welds on the outsides where it connects to the frame rails and radiator support. this cougar is so virgin, i'd feel like ass if i cut it up, i almost don't even want to change the paint color but the light aqua is just too girly for me, would make one hell of a sleeper though :ph34r:

well, it is your car and i think as long as you keep it at least looking like a classic stang on the outside then that's probably good enough, i'd still keep the front structure intact at least until you get the rear done anyway and then decide if you really want to go cutting it out. i could understand more if you were putting in a boss '9 and wanted to cut the towers out or whatever but if you're going to keep the small block i really don't see any need to cut the towers out, but that's just me.

still you might look seriously at that CPP kit that converts the lower control arm to a true A-arm setup. i really wanted to do this kit myself but i just can't bring myself to even cut out the strut mounts which are basically just spot welded on with a couple skip welds on the outsides where it connects to the frame rails and radiator support. this cougar is so virgin, i'd feel like ass if i cut it up, i almost don't even want to change the paint color but the light aqua is just too girly for me, would make one hell of a sleeper though :ph34r:

Point taken.

I do like that CPP kit but I feel like if I'm going to get that kit I would probably just try to copy the design and make my own (I'm a pain in the ass I know). I just think it would be fun to mess around with my own suspension design. It looks like a really nice piece of kit though, that's for sure :whistling:

-Steve

Point taken.

I do like that CPP kit but I feel like if I'm going to get that kit I would probably just try to copy the design and make my own (I'm a pain in the ass I know). I just think it would be fun to mess around with my own suspension design. It looks like a really nice piece of kit though, that's for sure :whistling:

-Steve

Hahaha Yea.... if you knew me you would know that I'll probably change my mind ten more times before I actually start arcing some cuts. I am taking the advice of B about the front coilovers and will probably keep the sheetmetal structure up there stock for now atleast and see how I like the air setup. It's not that I don't like the coilovers, don't get me wrong I think theyre a really well made piece of kit. It's just that this mustang is my baby, the truck is a fun project but it is built out of utility, the mustang though needs to be perfect, and in my head that means being able to slam it with the flip of a switch :tongue:

-Steve

I got ya and I totally know the feeling. I envy guys like you and Coz that can spend the cash on stuff and then change your minds and set ups before it is even broken in yet. I had a generous budget to work with from the insurance and I still had to carefully plan out my build and commit to my choices once I invested in them. There are some things I would do but I have to live with them at least until everything else is completely done, then I can see if I have money left or start saving for the new stuff.

-Steve

I got ya and I totally know the feeling. I envy guys like you and Coz that can spend the cash on stuff and then change your minds and set ups before it is even broken in yet. I had a generous budget to work with from the insurance and I still had to carefully plan out my build and commit to my choices once I invested in them. There are some things I would do but I have to live with them at least until everything else is completely done, then I can see if I have money left or start saving for the new stuff.

Point taken.

-Steve

yeah that one shouldn't be hard to use as a templaet to make your own version, at least something similar anyway. you should also check out www.corner-carvers.com and do a search for user name "Preston" and chekc out the work he's done to his 67 stang, actually it's just what they call a "silhouette" mustang now since only the exterior sheetmetal is actual mustang and most of it is heavily modified.

definitely let me know on the coilovers though, if you decide to ditch them. tehy should go nicely with the TCP G-Bar i'm planning for the cougar along with some Opentracker upper and lower roller control arms and a set of TCP strut rods and my TCP rack.

Point taken.

-Steve

yeah that one shouldn't be hard to use as a templaet to make your own version, at least something similar anyway. you should also check out www.corner-carvers.com and do a search for user name "Preston" and chekc out the work he's done to his 67 stang, actually it's just what they call a "silhouette" mustang now since only the exterior sheetmetal is actual mustang and most of it is heavily modified.

definitely let me know on the coilovers though, if you decide to ditch them. tehy should go nicely with the TCP G-Bar i'm planning for the cougar along with some Opentracker upper and lower roller control arms and a set of TCP strut rods and my TCP rack.

Ohhh dear lord..... Preston would be a bad influence on me.... I really do like his johnny joint idea/setup for the front suspension. That's something I most likely will end up stealing :tongue:

-Steve

Ohhh dear lord..... Preston would be a bad influence on me.... I really do like his johnny joint idea/setup for the front suspension. That's something I most likely will end up stealing :tongue:

-Steve

-Steve

ahhh, i see you are already aware of our ol' buddy preston then. what a car that is......i'd be scared to see that thing in rearview mirror, then again it wouldn't be there very long though. but yeah a guy could learn a lot just reading about Preston's builds and he's had a bunch of them, i think this complete redo number 3 now with many different variations on several pieces

-Steve

ahhh, i see you are already aware of our ol' buddy preston then. what a car that is......i'd be scared to see that thing in rearview mirror, then again it wouldn't be there very long though. but yeah a guy could learn a lot just reading about Preston's builds and he's had a bunch of them, i think this complete redo number 3 now with many different variations on several pieces

Yeah, it may not be the prettiest build but it damn sure is functional.

On a side note... anyone know where I can get cheap fiberglass materials i.e. resins and mats? I'm attempting a fiberglass project and it isn't looking too cheap, I hope I just ordered a lot more stuff than I need :tongue_smilie:

-Steve

Yeah, it may not be the prettiest build but it damn sure is functional.

On a side note... anyone know where I can get cheap fiberglass materials i.e. resins and mats? I'm attempting a fiberglass project and it isn't looking too cheap, I hope I just ordered a lot more stuff than I need :tongue_smilie:

-Steve