Sign in to follow this  
burritoboi5

Should I start cutting.....?

Redo the front and add a year to the build?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Redo the front and add a year to the build?

• Do it ! that's what the plasma cutter is for !
    • Modify it and think about doing it later once you have some road time.

Hey everyone..... I have a question for ya. For those you familiar with my build it's a 69 coupe that I replaced the front frame rails on and the floor/a lot of other crap. I have a 9 inch rear that will fit and I'm going to try and grab when I get home in a few weeks. Just from driving the car around last time I was home though I have decided that I am going to 4 link the rear and replace my coilovers up front with some air bags......

Linking the rear will mean that I'm going to plasma the hell out of my rear floor/crossmember and make it a lot stronger/cleaner. That is already decided on.

I'm also thinking though.... of fabbing up a front tube style clip and deleting the inner fenders and basically making the car full framed...... Yeah..... Big F$#king project.....

I don't plan on doing any of it until next winter because I have a new truck I need to get up to my liking but now there is no time restriction on the mustang so I don't mind it taking a while to get it up and running again......

So for the front should I start over/full frame it..... or just modify what I have to run bags?

Thanks,

-Steve

Hey everyone..... I have a question for ya. For those you familiar with my build it's a 69 coupe that I replaced the front frame rails on and the floor/a lot of other crap. I have a 9 inch rear that will fit and I'm going to try and grab when I get home in a few weeks. Just from driving the car around last time I was home though I have decided that I am going to 4 link the rear and replace my coilovers up front with some air bags......

Linking the rear will mean that I'm going to plasma the hell out of my rear floor/crossmember and make it a lot stronger/cleaner. That is already decided on.

I'm also thinking though.... of fabbing up a front tube style clip and deleting the inner fenders and basically making the car full framed...... Yeah..... Big F$#king project.....

I don't plan on doing any of it until next winter because I have a new truck I need to get up to my liking but now there is no time restriction on the mustang so I don't mind it taking a while to get it up and running again......

So for the front should I start over/full frame it..... or just modify what I have to run bags?

Thanks,

-Steve

They sell the front and rear air system for your stang. I 4 barr'ed a 64 nova with coilovers and I thought it came out nice while mini tubing. I put 300 hrs in old rust bucket, there was no way I was going to get my money back out of that one. But you'll probably have half that to do what you want, sounds like fun to me. I"m in, gets my vote, just try to purchase as much as you can. They make so much for bags now days.

They sell the front and rear air system for your stang. I 4 barr'ed a 64 nova with coilovers and I thought it came out nice while mini tubing. I put 300 hrs in old rust bucket, there was no way I was going to get my money back out of that one. But you'll probably have half that to do what you want, sounds like fun to me. I"m in, gets my vote, just try to purchase as much as you can. They make so much for bags now days.

Yeah buying it would be cheating though :scared:

If I do it I'm going to do it all myself from scratch. I can get the 9 for free and I figure the air system components will cost 1-2 grand along with another 750 in a locker/axle rebuild. Then I need to decide how crazy I want to get upfront..... I mean hell if I'm putting in all new frame/substructure up front then I may as well just go ahead and redo all the suspension too....make some tubular arms with the bags mounting on the bottom like the mustang stuff. Or just use some Mustang II arms off ebay or something....... I kind of like where this is going...... I still would need to decided though If I want to pull my firewall and do all that over again too...... so many possibilities.......

-Steve

Yeah buying it would be cheating though :scared:

If I do it I'm going to do it all myself from scratch. I can get the 9 for free and I figure the air system components will cost 1-2 grand along with another 750 in a locker/axle rebuild. Then I need to decide how crazy I want to get upfront..... I mean hell if I'm putting in all new frame/substructure up front then I may as well just go ahead and redo all the suspension too....make some tubular arms with the bags mounting on the bottom like the mustang stuff. Or just use some Mustang II arms off ebay or something....... I kind of like where this is going...... I still would need to decided though If I want to pull my firewall and do all that over again too...... so many possibilities.......

-Steve

Yea, soon as we finished the car last October, took it buy www.killierridez.com and they were trying to sell us the same setup. Price was what is stated by grabber, but man just installing someone else's system can be a challange. Check out the guys who have installed the racks. Nothing is easy that for sure, once you start or go in deep like your talking bb5, there is no turning back! Its make or brake that resto-mod!!!

Yea, soon as we finished the car last October, took it buy www.killierridez.com and they were trying to sell us the same setup. Price was what is stated by grabber, but man just installing someone else's system can be a challange. Check out the guys who have installed the racks. Nothing is easy that for sure, once you start or go in deep like your talking bb5, there is no turning back! Its make or brake that resto-mod!!!

Haha yep, once the plasma starts arcing there's no turning back. My pricing on the airbags was just for bags and controls btw. So it doesn't include any other materials cost i.e. JJ or DOM. I'll most likely start off on the back and then decide how wild I really want to go with the front of the car.

-Steve

Haha yep, once the plasma starts arcing there's no turning back. My pricing on the airbags was just for bags and controls btw. So it doesn't include any other materials cost i.e. JJ or DOM. I'll most likely start off on the back and then decide how wild I really want to go with the front of the car.

-Steve

Steve, I'm at a similar point... while she's down getting the heart rebuilt - what can I do?

- well, the R&P is on order...

- Cobra brakes?

- TCP?

but had a realization last week - I want to drive the old gal!

so... for this summer the task it to get her back on the road - interior finished, new engine stroked with a new R&P! Went for a new Master and Power Booster, will still rebuild the original front brakes and get her rolling!

then hummmm........ next winter will be here sooner than we all think!

and with my vote it's now 50/50! sorry

Steve, I'm at a similar point... while she's down getting the heart rebuilt - what can I do?

- well, the R&P is on order...

- Cobra brakes?

- TCP?

but had a realization last week - I want to drive the old gal!

so... for this summer the task it to get her back on the road - interior finished, new engine stroked with a new R&P! Went for a new Master and Power Booster, will still rebuild the original front brakes and get her rolling!

then hummmm........ next winter will be here sooner than we all think!

and with my vote it's now 50/50! sorry

i say don't do it, just get a TCP G-bar or Air Ride tech Air Bar for the rear and add some bags up front with some tubular arms but leave the car's structure alone. i'm not a big fan of cutting cars up to build them into something they aren't as most people are aware. modify the hell out of it all you want but leave the basic structure of the car intact so that you or someone else can restore the car back to stock someday. there's really nothing inherently wrong woth the basic structure of the early stangs other than they are a little weak, but they can easily be strengthened without cutting the car to pieces.

it's for this reason alone that i decided against going with the CPP lower arm conversion on the cougar but even that is only cutting out the front strut rod supports. but that is something you could look into for your car and even keep your coilovers you already bought for the front.

CPP front lower arm conversion

http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/2006/NewFiles/NovaSubFrame.htm

TCP G-bar rear

http://totalcontrolproducts.com/gBar.html

Air Ride Tech rear Air Bar

http://www.ridetech.com/products/Ford_Mustang_64_70_AirBar_w_Shockwaves-816-75.html

Air Ride Tech front shockwaves

http://www.ridetech.com/products/Ford_Mustang_67_70_ShockWave-1204-58.html

TCP front Air Ride system

http://totalcontrolproducts.com/fsws-fd.html

i say don't do it, just get a TCP G-bar or Air Ride tech Air Bar for the rear and add some bags up front with some tubular arms but leave the car's structure alone. i'm not a big fan of cutting cars up to build them into something they aren't as most people are aware. modify the hell out of it all you want but leave the basic structure of the car intact so that you or someone else can restore the car back to stock someday. there's really nothing inherently wrong woth the basic structure of the early stangs other than they are a little weak, but they can easily be strengthened without cutting the car to pieces.

it's for this reason alone that i decided against going with the CPP lower arm conversion on the cougar but even that is only cutting out the front strut rod supports. but that is something you could look into for your car and even keep your coilovers you already bought for the front.

CPP front lower arm conversion

http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/2006/NewFiles/NovaSubFrame.htm

TCP G-bar rear

http://totalcontrolproducts.com/gBar.html

Air Ride Tech rear Air Bar

http://www.ridetech.com/products/Ford_Mustang_64_70_AirBar_w_Shockwaves-816-75.html

Air Ride Tech front shockwaves

http://www.ridetech.com/products/Ford_Mustang_67_70_ShockWave-1204-58.html

TCP front Air Ride system

http://totalcontrolproducts.com/fsws-fd.html

Thanks for all the input guys..... I can see what you mean about not cutting up a classic.... but honestly...... my opinion on that is that my car already has been built up with almost completely repro sheetmetal so whatever is under it's skin is not something I really care about, especially if it makes it run better. I do like those front air back coilover combos and will probably end up going with those just because they would be so compact. Bnicks the coilovers are all yours assuming I go with those.

As far as the rearend I would rather fab in my own kit, a four link is something I am very capable of putting together and even if the money aspect of it is a wash it's a lot more fun to put it together myself.

Hell... a few more years and all of us are gonna be royally screwed anyways when the fuel dissapears.... :helpsmilie: drive em while you can and let the collectors with the rare 1 in a million cars keep em in the garage so they and future generations can look at em.

-Steve

Thanks for all the input guys..... I can see what you mean about not cutting up a classic.... but honestly...... my opinion on that is that my car already has been built up with almost completely repro sheetmetal so whatever is under it's skin is not something I really care about, especially if it makes it run better. I do like those front air back coilover combos and will probably end up going with those just because they would be so compact. Bnicks the coilovers are all yours assuming I go with those.

As far as the rearend I would rather fab in my own kit, a four link is something I am very capable of putting together and even if the money aspect of it is a wash it's a lot more fun to put it together myself.

Hell... a few more years and all of us are gonna be royally screwed anyways when the fuel dissapears.... :helpsmilie: drive em while you can and let the collectors with the rare 1 in a million cars keep em in the garage so they and future generations can look at em.

-Steve

So what is the issue with the new coilovers that you hate the ride so much? I was looking to do these as a future mod some day and I thought you were happy with yours.

BTW, soliciting opinions is only helpful when you haven't made up your mind already. LOL

So what is the issue with the new coilovers that you hate the ride so much? I was looking to do these as a future mod some day and I thought you were happy with yours.

BTW, soliciting opinions is only helpful when you haven't made up your mind already. LOL

Hahaha Yea.... if you knew me you would know that I'll probably change my mind ten more times before I actually start arcing some cuts. I am taking the advice of B about the front coilovers and will probably keep the sheetmetal structure up there stock for now atleast and see how I like the air setup. It's not that I don't like the coilovers, don't get me wrong I think theyre a really well made piece of kit. It's just that this mustang is my baby, the truck is a fun project but it is built out of utility, the mustang though needs to be perfect, and in my head that means being able to slam it with the flip of a switch :tongue:

-Steve