Sign in to follow this  
neverhit

pertronix gap trouble

I'm having trouble getting the plate that the pertronix module sits on to stay put. I just installed a new vacuum advance and it seems now that it's causing the plate with the pertronix module to slightly change the gap to the magnetic pickup. There appears to be only 1 screw that holds the pertronix part in place relative to the rotating magnetic pickup. Is that how it shoudl be? According to Pertronix installation instructions, the gap should be 0.030". When the gap changes to something like 0.020", the car bogs under heavy acceleration (did this to me on the way to work today) or won't start at all (as happened when I first installed the vacuum advance). Funny thing is that when there is virtually no gap and just touching the magnetic pickup, it runs great. It was installed by the previous owner. If pictures would help, I'll take some tonight. Any suggestions??

Thank you.

All I can guess is the vacuum advance working back and forth is rubbing on the pertronix plate and possibly working the screw loose resulting in a changed gap. I did notice that the new vacuum advance didn't line up exactly and seemed to biasing the plates toward the top of the distributor. I think the arm coming off the vacuum diaphragm needs to be 'bent' slightly.

I had the same problem. The plate would move when tightening down the screw. I eventually messed around with it until I got it right. Try making the gap too large/small on purpose so that when it shifts it moves into the correct position.

For what this may be worth. If you have a wore dist. shaft bushing the shaft will move back and forth causing the gap to constantly be changing. It is a crap shoot to set it just right and even then it would probably change on you again. Were you having a lot of trouble with the points not staying set?? Boy, That was a dumb question on my part! I think I reset the points on my old car every morning before I went to school back in the late sixties. Hope this helps,maybe try another dist. Good luck, James

I didn't think of that, I will have to check if I have the same problem again. Seems like by rebending the arm on the vacuum diaphragm it now clears the plate with the pertronix module. I also added some threadlock to the set screw. Seems to be running good now.

Do you have a six cylinder? Usually the 8 cyl pertronix has two scews to hold it down and the six has one. I have a dual point mechanical advance accel distributor and pertronix told me it would not work with non ford but I made it work. I chucked the plate and fastened down one bolt to an exisiting hole from the points then gapped it and drilled a second new hole for the other bolt, never had a bit of trouble. I guess my point is you can do just about anything you have to in order to set it where it needs to be and it would still work so step back and take another look at the issue without confining yourself to just the parts on hand.

Do you have a six cylinder? Usually the 8 cyl pertronix has two scews to hold it down and the six has one. I have a dual point mechanical advance accel distributor and pertronix told me it would not work with non ford but I made it work. I chucked the plate and fastened down one bolt to an exisiting hole from the points then gapped it and drilled a second new hole for the other bolt, never had a bit of trouble. I guess my point is you can do just about anything you have to in order to set it where it needs to be and it would still work so step back and take another look at the issue without confining yourself to just the parts on hand.

ya know Pak, you went to all that trouble to get the pertonix to work but mallory and Accel both have conversions for your dizzy and the mallory one has been around forever, well before you even bought your car. just thought you should know that.

ya know Pak, you went to all that trouble to get the pertonix to work but mallory and Accel both have conversions for your dizzy and the mallory one has been around forever, well before you even bought your car. just thought you should know that.

I did not know that but honestly it was no trouble really.