Sign in to follow this  
rjardy

my 69 sports roof (it lives)

Fired the new motor tonight. It runs, sounds good, and most importantly holds fluids!

The motor was built by myself, so I was pretty nervous about start up. Before this motor, I hadn't messed with a small block ford in about 12 years.

The trans is also new. I rebuilt a t-5 and threw it in there behind the 302. It was my first transmission rebuild of any type. Unfortunatly, it leaks a bit of fluid where the case mates to the tail housing.

I will post up some pics here in this thread tomorrow. Be sure to check back, as I will just continually update this thread for progress on the car.

Rob

You're in Fremont... That's close to me, I am in sunnyvale. Any how, yeah about the t-5. As long as you have a hydraulic press and the borg warner manual you will be fine. It just cannot be done without a press. I don't have one, but my neighbor who builds Harleys has one and gave me access to it.

Once you get it apart, it's really not all that complicated.

well, all the bearings are pressed into the case, onto the counter-shaft and main shaft. You have to press the gears on and off of the main shaft in order to replace the sychros.

Really though, It's not a lot of work. I took my t-5 apart about 5 months ago, and when I finally got around to ordering the rebuild kit and actually rebuilding the trans...it took me two afternoon's to do it.

If you can, I say rebuild one. I have a much better understanding of how a manual transmission functions. And if your anything like me....this kind of project is fun.

I also feel that I know my car better...sounds weird I know but honestly, I've assembled my motor from scratch, I've had the transmission fully apart and now back together, I've done my interior, I've had the rear end in and out of the car, done the brakes, done the front and rear suspension...

It feels like If anything makes a noise, I will know what it will be right off the bat. Love it!

Rob

Here are a few pictures and a quick video as promised.

Now that the running gear is squared away... I can focus on the body and paint.

Feed back always welcomed!

69FB003.jpg

got some brake fluid on the monty carlo bar :( and please excuse that black PCV cap...it't not permanent.

69FB001.jpg

69FB017.jpg

She's straight and rust free!

69FB010.jpg

here is a quick video

Rob

Here are a few pictures and a quick video as promised.

Now that the running gear is squared away... I can focus on the body and paint.

Feed back always welcomed!

69FB003.jpg

got some brake fluid on the monty carlo bar :( and please excuse that black PCV cap...it't not permanent.

69FB001.jpg

69FB017.jpg

She's straight and rust free!

69FB010.jpg

here is a quick video

Rob