Sign in to follow this  
69GT

Body work

I'll keep that in mind. I actually just got back from talking to the local mustang parts guy and he has a lead on one. Someone he knows that does parts also I guess has this piece. He was going to call me later with more details on it but hopefully this will work out.

good luck and keep me informed, if all else fails my local parts guy may have one as well, but i kinda doubt it, he only has a couple of 69's and they're pretty well picked over

Thanks unfrozen!

Well, the window trim is on its way. It wasn't cheap though. The parts guy made it sound like it was coming from somewhere in Canada maybe? He just said it was coming from way up north and shipping was going to be kind of expensive.

I got the window clips from the local parts guy as well. Had them in stock for 30 cents each. So now its just waiting for the trim and new mirror and I think thats it as far as gather parts to put it back together! (Or maybe not, theres ALWAYS something else :whistling:)

Thanks unfrozen!

Well, the window trim is on its way. It wasn't cheap though. The parts guy made it sound like it was coming from somewhere in Canada maybe? He just said it was coming from way up north and shipping was going to be kind of expensive.

I got the window clips from the local parts guy as well. Had them in stock for 30 cents each. So now its just waiting for the trim and new mirror and I think thats it as far as gather parts to put it back together! (Or maybe not, theres ALWAYS something else :whistling:)

oh yeah, there's always something else and something after that and something after...ad infinium

Progress! So far the new windshield has been installed as well as the rear window. The whole car has been sanded and polished so now it looks even better than when it was painted. Right now all the small stuff is being put on. Drip rails are installed, new door handles, locks, side scoops, rear side markers, tail lights, and antenna are all put on. Just waiting on a few things to come in. A few of the parts even came in sealed factory Ford packages. Not much longer now!

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00955.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

DSC00960.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

Hmm, I didn't know they used to be silver but now that you mention it, I think my spare tire is kind of silverish. I think Ill leave them black, I think they go with the car a bit better.

Hmm, I didn't know they used to be silver but now that you mention it, I think my spare tire is kind of silverish. I think Ill leave them black, I think they go with the car a bit better.

i've always liked the silver personally. i had my original GT wheels painted black in high school when the car was red and black, once i primered over the red paint i went back to silver on the wheels. when i do the cougar i plan on having a set of the aftermarket 15" GT wheels, painted silver of course. i like the silver because, too me, it helps offset the paint some and provides a nice contrast.

Well, went by today and the stripes are all laid out. So sounds like maybe later today it will get sprayed. If not today then later this week. I also had to do something I didn't want to do which was tell them to stop working on it once they spray the stripes. The whole project is turning out to be a bit more expensive than I had originally planned. We agreed to have them spray it and see if I wanted anything else put on it by them (im thinking put in the windows and have them aligned) and then its going to come home and I'm going to finish up putting on all the small stuff.

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

well the side stripes are too small. the 69's had a good bit larger stripes than earlier cars and it looks like they are using the early car stripe dimensions. IMO the thicker stripes look better. one piece of advice though, if you have them put the windows in make sure they install the door handles too ortherwise you'll have to take the windows back out to install them

Hmm, all the measurements I found online seemed to vary quite a bit. I found a couple of different pictures with the GT stripes and showed it to them and from the pictures I think they matched it well. At least, it looks like what was on the car when I got it. They're normally thicker?

i don't have the measurements handy but generally the 69 stripes take up the whole lower body cove on the door. basically from the very top of the lower detail line all the way to the bottom of the door. the lowest stripe is only about 1/8" from the very bottom of the door and the very top stripe is about the same distance below the lower body detail line and the center stripe is much wider. i have a repro strip kit on my car and get the measurements for you if you want, though it might be too late if they were going to paint them today.

though it might be too late if they were going to paint them today.

:whistling:

Haha, ya I just got back from checking it out and they got it sprayed today. I'm happy with the way it looks both the hood and stripes. This was kind of the last major piece to completing the car and I have to say, it turned out exactly how I envisioned it would.

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

DSC00991.jpg

looks really nice. they may have gotten the stripes pretty close, i won't be able to tell until i can see a better side view pic of it. i still think you should repaint the wheels the original argent color. it will set that new paint off really nicely.

I am pleased to announce that I now have my car back! There are still things that need to be put back on it but as of yesterday its my daily driver again. Ill try and get some new pictures of it. I might be taking it to a 'car gathering' tomorrow morning out at Morro Bay with my boss where I guess every Saturday people bring out their cool cars and bs over coffee and just check out each others cars.

I have to say though, so far I've gotten a few head turns and at work (Autozone) I've already gotten customers coming in asking who's car it is in the parking lot.

On a side note, I got my Private Pilots License today! :clap:

Edit: Here is a picture, that's Mr.Steve himself standing directly next to it. He busted his ass to get the rest of it put back together and road worthy. A big cheer for him.

DSC01004.jpg

We welded up a frame jig.It locks up the rockers ,front and rear frame rails and is fully adjustable.We use it when ever we are doing a complete rail replacement.If you need measurments for your vert Im sure I have them somewhere.

ok, where are the new pics? :biggrin:

Ok.:biggrin: I just ran my car duster over it and backed it out to take a few pictures. I do have some bad news though. I just found where it looks like someone backed into the trim on my hood. Its indented a little bit and I think I know when it happened... Should have checked when I thought that BMW was parked awfully close to me. But anyways, here are a few more pictures with before and after!

Before:

DSC00804-3.jpg

After:

DSC01005.jpg

Before:

DSC01451-1.jpg

After:

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

DSC01009.jpg