Sign in to follow this  
hammerit

1/4 glass weatherstrip

I am going to be installing the vertical weatherstripping between the door glass and the 1/4 glass on my 69 coupe. I'm looking for any words of wisdom, hints, ideas or techniques on the removal of the old and the installation of the new. I'd like to shorten my learning curve and avoid doing more harm than good. Thanks

First thing to do is remove the stainless trim, it pulls right off and is alot easier to work with than on the car. The old rubber is likely one with the part if original, you can leave it in the sun for a while to try and soften it but odds are you will have to carefully dig it all out.

To reinstall you can either spray some graphite lubricant or WD-40 in the channel or rub a little liquid soap on the back side of the weatherstrip itself and then just ease it in.

I would agree with the grafite lube or the soap, you need something that stays lubricated for awile. They don't go in easy!!!

I used the wd-40 on mine and the first one I did fell just short of all the way in place,I sprayed the chanel and the weather strip pc. It was not easy to push /pull and I installed the rubber in the chanel with it on the glass, that may have been my downer to the job!

Lube, lube is the only way to go, cause if it stops, its stuck. It won't go on futher and it will not come back out when its stuck.