Sign in to follow this  
SlimeGold 69

How to get a title for a classic Mustang

Are there any companys that you can get a title for a classic car? I have heard of a few before on the net but don't know where to look for a reliable title service. I sold a 70 Mach 1 parts car to a friend of mine a few years ago. I had the title and never had it put in my name altho I signed it (my mistake). So I go with him to the VA DMV to get it put in my name and they won't do it without a bill of sell from the person I bought it from. Problem is that person is no longer around and the DMV basicly told me I'm SOL because of state law. I had 30 days to get it put in my name even though it was a 38 year old parts/project car. So I figure the best way is just to apply for a lost title. Forget about telling me to get one from my state because it is impossible. He has spent alot of money already on this car and I need to get him a title. Any sugestions or anyone used a company to get a title?

do you have any friends in alabama? some states don't issue titles on older cars. they use a bill of sale. check around & see what other states do this & if you know someone, have them draw up a bill of sale that he can take to the dmv to get a title. i know many people have to do this on older 30's-40's cars that titles were lost on years ago.

I have used this site several times and never had any problems. There maybe a cheaper way to do it but it has worked for me. You basically sell him the car with only a bill of sale he then goes to a DMV and gets the car put in his name. He then sells you the car back to you. You get a clear notorized title and bill of sale.

http://mustangtitles.com/home

Either try to google the person you bought it from and see if you can get in touch with them or just write out a bill of sale yourself. You must have gotten a bill of sale originally, no? I would try to date it correctly for when you got it, use a dirty old piece of loose leaf if you can and make it look like it's been hanging around for ever, no one will question it.

Either try to google the person you bought it from and see if you can get in touch with them or just write out a bill of sale yourself. You must have gotten a bill of sale originally, no? I would try to date it correctly for when you got it, use a dirty old piece of loose leaf if you can and make it look like it's been hanging around for ever, no one will question it.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I will just write out a BOS and hope I don't go to jail for it. I did not get a BOS when I bought the car over 5 years ago. Sometimes I hate living in VA. They make such a big deal out of getting a title and charge you out the wa-hoo. Mustangtitles.com wants $300 for there service. That may not be all that bad if you don't have a title but in my case I don't think it's worth it.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I will just write out a BOS and hope I don't go to jail for it. I did not get a BOS when I bought the car over 5 years ago. Sometimes I hate living in VA. They make such a big deal out of getting a title and charge you out the wa-hoo. Mustangtitles.com wants $300 for there service. That may not be all that bad if you don't have a title but in my case I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah for a bogus illegal scheme that is a little steep. You won't go to jail for it though, trust me. Worse case I guess I am not too far away from you in NH and we do not title cars this old here (mine is still a MA title) so I could always try to the sell to - sell back too scheme for you if the BOS don't work out for some reason.

Yeah for a bogus illegal scheme that is a little steep. You won't go to jail for it though, trust me. Worse case I guess I am not too far away from you in NH and we do not title cars this old here (mine is still a MA title) so I could always try to the sell to - sell back too scheme for you if the BOS don't work out for some reason.

Thanks. I'll see how the BOS turns out first. I think it will work. It just kills me how they make such a big deal over a old non-running car car and I hate the thought of giving them more money on top of the whole deal. It will still cost me $50.00 for a title plus taxes.

I just got a registration from a friend of a friend in Alabama. Instead of a BOS they got me a BOS and a state registration. My state, who is normally fussy, went ahead and titled it. $300 is not a bad fee to own the car. I didn't pay that much because it was a friend, but I would have.

Hah! It worked! I took the DMV a BOS and they gave me a clear title. It still cost $45.00 but well worth it to get my buddy going again. I was feeling bad scince he has already spent a couple grand on new sheet metal.

I knew it would work, it's just by the numbers bureaucratic bullshit. Don't feel too bad though, honestly your buddy should have done his homework before he invested good money into it to start with.

When I first registered my car in NH I had no idea what their rules were, I had a small lien on the car still at that time and volunteered that info. Since they don't issue titles on old cars they would have never known otherwise and listed me as the owner if I hadn't opened my mouth. Even with today's computerized record keeping and state by state file share the DMV process is a royal mess.

I can tell you now the state of Ohio does not take BOS. I know Ohio has the most strict DMV laws out there. I read something awhile back and there was like 12 states that you was pretty much screwed if you had a lost title or bought a car years ago and never followed through with getting it in your name when you got it.