Sign in to follow this  
daneyb

LS! swap

Still in the process of getting my 69 Mach 1 body cleaned up and have been thinking about what to do with the motor. I have a 351w and a 4 speed I was going to put in it. However I just bought a bunch of stuff which included a 02' LS1/6 speed pull out. I haven't dug throught it all but it appears to be complete including the manifolds and computer. I was going to sell it but I was wondering if I could stuff it in the Mach 1? Has anyone tried this or have any links to a website that has done it? It may not even be possible. I just would like to do something different.

Benny

While I am not a fan of it, would not recommned it and certainly would never build one for myself, the old boy street rod guys have been doing it to fords for years. I am sure you would still enjoy it and that is the best reason to build a car so don't let anyone else's tight assed opinion get you down, build the car you want, not someone else's version of what's right.

There is actually a small following of Fox Body guys that have done this swap so you aren't alone or crazy. Do a google for LS1 Mustang and you might be surprised what you turn up for info.

BTW, one of these days if funds are not an issue I will build a 30's something Chevy with a Ford motor in it, just to be different myself.

Naw,say it ain't so! That would be un american wouldn't it? Hell sell the LS-! and find a 428 / 429 and do an upgrade project! That's my 2 cents, keep us posted on the direction!

By the way I got a son who might be interested in the drive train, hes got a 70 1/2 crapmaro, excuse me its a solid 0 rust RS Camaro! He's wanting to do the resto mod on it and thats the route he says he going__and it's such a nice ride I can't even think about doing some of the stuff he thinks will look cool?

:whistling: The only reason that old boy street rod guys have been doing it for years is that the Cheby motor is narrower and can fit it the smaller engine bays of the earlier cars easier. Besides everyone knows that cheby parts are cheaper and anyone can built a cheby motor. :tongue_smilie: But as was said to each there own, I just would hate to see someone take a true Mach 1 and do that to it. Not a sermon but just an opinion.

Naw,say it ain't so! That would be un american wouldn't it? Hell sell the LS-! and find a 428 / 429 and do an upgrade project! That's my 2 cents, keep us posted on the direction!

By the way I got a son who might be interested in the drive train, hes got a 70 1/2 crapmaro, excuse me its a solid 0 rust RS Camaro! He's wanting to do the resto mod on it and thats the route he says he going__and it's such a nice ride I can't even think about doing some of the stuff he thinks will look cool?

Was that the split bumper model, they look pretty sweet. I think the LS1 motor would be a pretty good setup for that.

Although Im a big fan of being different, a chevy motor in a Ford is nothing new as others have said. Hell, just owning a Ford these days IS being different. Just look at how many Camaro's, Nova's and Chevelle's are all over the place like in magazines and car shows.. many with LS1's... Keep it all Ford and sell the LS1. If you want a modern drivetrain at least use a Ford mod-motor or build the Windsor. The money you spend to install the LS1 in a vintage Ford could be used to build a wicked 392W stroker that would smoke a LS1. Just my two pennys worth. But as always it's your car so do what you want.

Putting a rice rocket in the car would be un-american, putting one american product into another is not. In this day and age of anything goes restomod mania I can't believe so many folks are so vehemently against this. Again, it's not for me either but I wouldn't cast stones at anyone for doing it any less than I would shake my head in disgust at a mixed or gay couple. I just don't see understanding something as a pre-requisite for acceptance.

Of course since the rice wars started I no longer see Chevy as the enemy anyway, just a friendly rival, we are all brothers now against a common enemy. When anyone does something like this they have to expect to be berated for it just about anywhere they go, I was just surprised to see so much of it here.

Wow you all bleed blue dont ya!! To be honest I love anything American!! Ford, Chevy or Dodge. If it looks good, goes fast and built in Detroit or atleast assembled there lol I dig it. If it was a ultra rare car or was numbers matching I would not even think of doing something like this but it is not. I have thought about using a mod motor as well. Heck are new 04 cobra is wicked fast, I would love to drop that motor into the car. But the more and more I read it looks like it is to much work than what I am intrested in. So you blue bleeders give me a idea of what to drop in it?? I currently have a 72 4 speed toploader (RUG-BJ1) that I would like to use. Something around 3k or less.

Wow you all bleed blue dont ya!!

No, not all, not always anyway. I like any classic american Muscle car if it's cool.

For me the answer is simple, 427 side oiler. If I could build any Ford engine I wanted that would be my choice hands down. If I was dealing with a budget build I would probably punch the 351W out to around 408.

I have a pristine, concours '69 big block Mach 1 that I just acquired and I'm going to put a Dodge Hemi SRT-8 in. I've got the original engine and tranny pulled out and sent them to the scrap heap. Just waiting on the hemi to get here. Can't wait.

In this day and age of anything goes restomod mania I can't believe so many folks are so vehemently against this. Again, it's not for me either but I wouldn't cast stones at anyone for doing it any less than I would shake my head in disgust at a mixed or gay couple. I just don't see understanding something as a pre-requisite for acceptance.

Of course since the rice wars started I no longer see Chevy as the enemy anyway, just a friendly rival, we are all brothers now against a common enemy. When anyone does something like this they have to expect to be berated for it just about anywhere they go, I was just surprised to see so much of it here.

Wow what does the mixed or gay couples have to do with swapping a Chevy motor into a Ford? You're right God didn't put me on the earth to pass judgement against other peoples moral choices, but that doesn't mean I have to blindly accept whatever society wants to shove down my throat as politically correct.

Wow you all bleed blue dont ya!! To be honest I love anything American!! Ford, Chevy or Dodge. If it looks good, goes fast and built in Detroit or atleast assembled there lol I dig it. If it was a ultra rare car or was numbers matching I would not even think of doing something like this but it is not. I have thought about using a mod motor as well. Heck are new 04 cobra is wicked fast, I would love to drop that motor into the car. But the more and more I read it looks like it is to much work than what I am intrested in. So you blue bleeders give me a idea of what to drop in it?? I currently have a 72 4 speed toploader (RUG-BJ1) that I would like to use. Something around 3k or less.

I'm for anything American, like the 67-early/mid 70's Camaros, even the early firechickens and the T/A's. Shoot I would enjoy owning a Bandit T/A but would never consider putting a Ford motor in any of them, I don't beleive in inbreeding. But back to your subject, if you plan on driving the car a conciderable amount I would rethink the 4 speed even though you have one.

I'm a fan of using a O/D of sometype to make it more enjoyable to drive. But than again if you wanted to stay with the 4-speed you could always look at a gearvendors overdrive unit, but that would basically blow your 3K there. As far as I know pretty much any of the Mod motor swaps require shock tower modification which ends up being costly. How about a 351W or C based stroker, but than that would probably exceed your 3K target range. I would look at some of the 302 or 351W crate motors that different companies offer and then go from there.

Idiot? Such harsh words, Pak.

Lol, those are Austin's words, not mine, haven't you ever seen the movie? When doctor evil says "Austin, I am your father" in the Darth Vader voice.

Wow what does the mixed or gay couples have to do with swapping a Chevy motor into a Ford? You're right God didn't put me on the earth to pass judgement against other peoples moral choices, but that doesn't mean I have to blindly accept whatever society wants to shove down my throat as politically correct.

Well, I think it has a little more to do with it than inbreeding does, that makes no sense at all, do you even know what that means? My point simply was that thinking a ford absolutley has to be with a ford is like saying whites have to be with whites or irish with irish or catholic with catholic, that's all. Society doesn't shove any of that down anyones throat, the choice is ours to decide what is accpetable or not for our own preference, no one is forcing anyone to accept it but intolerance of difference and change is one of this worlds biggest problems to date. There is a huge difference between not accepting something for what it is and even having hate or distain in your heart for it compared to lobbying or picketing against it or god forbid even stoop to hate crimes over it. Freedom of choice is what living is all about or at least it should be. We are all entitled to our opinion but I think people who go against the grain shouldn't be made to feel like they are an idiot making the worlds biggest mistake just because it's not the automaton way of doing things.

I'm not sure what you original post said but I found your edited reply to be a tad callous. That's just a peev of mine, when someone comes looking for insight and someone else takes the time to reply only to make them feel like they don't belong.

I think you can dig up a decent 347 stroker for that kind of money and the parts/choices are everywhere. I do say to sell the bowtie engine and see what you can do with the money from the sale.

My Blood is Ford Blue by the way....!

Wow guys it is just a car and just a motor!!

I will save the LS1 for Impala project for next winter.

So you guys are saying 3k cant but a nice built motor? What about the 351w I have now. Can I just have them stroke that? I am guessing that someone makes a stroker kit for it? What would something like that run.

Well, I think it has a little more to do with it than inbreeding does, that makes no sense at all, do you even know what that means? My point simply was that thinking a ford absolutley has to be with a ford is like saying whites have to be with whites or irish with irish or catholic with catholic, that's all. Society doesn't shove any of that down anyones throat, the choice is ours to decide what is accpetable or not for our own preference, no one is forcing anyone to accept it but intolerance of difference and change is one of this worlds biggest problems to date. There is a huge difference between not accepting something for what it is and even having hate or distain in your heart for it compared to lobbying or picketing against it or god forbid even stoop to hate crimes over it. Freedom of choice is what living is all about or at least it should be. We are all entitled to our opinion but I think people who go against the grain shouldn't be made to feel like they are an idiot making the worlds biggest mistake just because it's not the automaton way of doing things.

I'm not sure what you original post said but I found your edited reply to be a tad callous. That's just a peev of mine, when someone comes looking for insight and someone else takes the time to reply only to make them feel like they don't belong.

Yes I know what inbreeding means. The breeding or mating of related individuals within an isolated or closed group of organisms or people. Inbreeding can result in inbreeding depression. However, in agriculture and animal husbandry, the continued breeding of closely related individuals can help to preserve desirable traits in a stock.

I guess putting an Olds motor into a Chevy car would be a little better analogy. :whistling: But it really makes as much sense as the comparison of the mixed or alternative lifestyle couples in comparision to putting a Chevy motor in a Ford car. By the way if I had a friend that thought it looked cool or different to wear his under ware on the outside of his clothes. Guess what I'd tell him how bad of an idea I thought it was, but if he want to do it. :thumbup1: But don't expect me to walk around with you looking like that. Not trying to argue with you Pak but the point you brought up about the couples was irrelevant to the OP's subject. And the only edit I did was to add about the Ford motor options that came to mind, didn't mean to sound callous in the post.

Wow guys it is just a car and just a motor!!

I will save the LS1 for Impala project for next winter.

So you guys are saying 3k cant but a nice built motor? What about the 351w I have now. Can I just have them stroke that? I am guessing that someone makes a stroker kit for it? What would something like that run.

A guy around the corner from me had a 351 stroked out to a 427 in a fox body last year, man was that thing mean. He did alot of the engine work and apparently the guy got a little scared of it. So he got a good deal on it, first time he took out to the track, after his first pass. They told him it was too fast to load it up and don't come back until you get the frames tied and a cage in it. So he pulled the motor and sold the shell, said he was going to put it in a newer fox he had, but haven't seen any progress yet.

I've heard these guys make good kits but are pricey.

http://www.probeindustries.com/engine_kits/sf.htm