Sign in to follow this  
3906pack

Boss 429 passenger, nascar heads?????

Does anyone know the diff between Boss 429- passenger heads, and the nascar versions. I know the intake ports are diff. in size and apparently nascar are better for street driving so I am told. But are the valve covers, valve train, etc all different from the other? Does the O ring in the head pose a problem today on the pass. :whistling: I am going to start piecing a Boss engine together with a real nice boss block that I bought and would like to know these things before I get into trouble. This is not a real boss car project so period correctness doesnt realy matter. I want to build a nice street engine for later. Thankyou and hope I didnt ask any stupid questions.... Danny

I may have not made it clear enough but I meant the difference between Boss 429 passenger car- 1969 70 street heads, and the Boss 429 Nascar racing- Holman Moody. Sorry for the confusion.....Nice engine by the way

Does anyone know the diff between Boss 429- passenger heads, and the nascar versions. I know the intake ports are diff. in size and apparently nascar are better for street driving so I am told. But are the valve covers, valve train, etc all different from the other? Does the O ring in the head pose a problem today on the pass. :whistling: I am going to start piecing a Boss engine together with a real nice boss block that I bought and would like to know these things before I get into trouble. This is not a real boss car project so period correctness doesnt realy matter. I want to build a nice street engine for later. Thankyou and hope I didnt ask any stupid questions.... Danny

Your timing is great,if you can wait a couple of months Jon Kasse is working on new Boss 429 heads that will fit most any 385 series block and use head gaskets instead of O rings.

These new heads can use stock manifolds and valve covers and he has dynoed a 429 cu in engine with 10.5 comp on pump gas at 778 HP.

What are you putting this engine in?

The stock heads and Nascar heads will fit on any Boss 429 block and the rockers will fit either,but the Nascar rockers are a different ratio and the valves are larger.

I wish Jon had brought out these new heads before I rebuilt my 1969 Boss,I would have put the original stuff on the shelf,stock O rings alone cost about 1200.00

OOOOHHHHH!!! Does this mean that I'll be able to have Boss 429 Nascar Heads (or a reasonable copy) for my dream 588 cu in from Flatlander Racing?? Imagine the numbers.....oooohhh!:biggrin: So much torque to light up the tires in all the gears of that 6-speed:tongue:

The Kasse heads will use boss 429 covers? This sounds great whats happening. Amazing power out of low comp. Your car is absolutely gorgeous. Thankyou. Where did you get this info from?

The Kasse heads are Boss 429 heads that Jon redesigned but will take stock Boss 429 valve covers(or Blue Thunder repros),and he will be making intake and valvetrain as well.

Look for Jon to run one at this years Motor Master Competition.

And,when Jon ran them on a 521 he was able to pull 902 HP with 10.5 comp and pump gas.Torque was over 700 ft lbs,a tire melter for sure.

wicked looking engine you have there, do the rear wheels hook up on that buggy? hahahahaha Thanks for the links. Last weekend at the Ford swap meet in Ohio, I bought a 1969 429 boss block in very nice shape, with nascar caps, standard bore. I guess im heading in the direction to change my 69 stang into a boss 9 powered car. My fasback is originally a smallblock, with a bigblock now. But what the hell. Ive heard that the shock towers are available. $3000.00 Any body heard of experimental engines in Brighton, Michigan?

wicked looking engine you have there, do the rear wheels hook up on that buggy? hahahahaha Thanks for the links. Last weekend at the Ford swap meet in Ohio, I bought a 1969 429 boss block in very nice shape, with nascar caps, standard bore. I guess im heading in the direction to change my 69 stang into a boss 9 powered car. My fasback is originally a smallblock, with a bigblock now. But what the hell. Ive heard that the shock towers are available. $3000.00 Any body heard of experimental engines in Brighton, Michigan?

Why even have shock towers,if it's not an original Boss 429 cut the towers out and give yourself some room for the headers.

Even with the unique towers on a stock Boss 429 they are a PIA to work in.

Just recieved my boss 9 engine stroked to 514 keeping the standard bore with the Tod Miller heads built by Shotgun Hemi Parts in Detroit by Eric Simone. Runs on pump gas 10.5:1 made 594 bhp @ 6000 rpm. with 640 lbs of torque. Decided to go with hydrolic roller bumpstick, so im limited to 6000 rpm. Thats ok with me for the street...The T.Miller heads are in the engine masters competition and are currently ahead in the points. Kasse still has to run his engine yet. Thank god all these goodies are still made in the USA.....

WOW thats sweet!!! cant wait to see more build pics and the finished product!!:punk:

Just recieved my boss 9 engine stroked to 514 keeping the standard bore with the Tod Miller heads built by Shotgun Hemi Parts in Detroit by Eric Simone. Runs on pump gas 10.5:1 made 594 bhp @ 6000 rpm. with 640 lbs of torque. Decided to go with hydrolic roller bumpstick, so im limited to 6000 rpm. Thats ok with me for the street...The T.Miller heads are in the engine masters competition and are currently ahead in the points. Kasse still has to run his engine yet. Thank god all these goodies are still made in the USA.....