Sign in to follow this  
SlimeGold 69

My new project Stang (sorta).

It's not mine and it's not a '69 but it is a classic Stang.. I got it for my wife because she always wanted a 65 coupe. I got it for $1500 and drove it home. It has a good running 302, C4 and a 9 inch rear out of a '69 Mach 1 (I'm stealing that for my car!). We have took it apart and I'm in the process of welding in new floorpans and fixing other rust. Plans call for Black paint with silver stripes, 17" '98 Mustang GT wheels and black interior. Stay tuned and I will post pics as we progress.

I'm glad she's got the feeva. Now that she has a old Mustang she lets me spend more money on mine because now she understands why I want to spend money all the time on my car. It's all part of my plan and so far it has worked perfect.:shifty:

only problem i see with your logic is that she will soon figure out that she wants to spend money on her car also and then the bags will need to come out for the guilt trip. but honey, i want to spend this month's car allowance on my car....after all you've been spending money on your car for years, i think it's my turn now. don't say i didn't warn you when it happens, buddy. LOL

Making some progress and have been doing a heck ofalota welding. Got the floors done and the quarter replaced. I probably should have put this thread in the project forum but too late now. Next we start on the body work. This car has awesome frame rails & towers and that's the main reason I bought it, just had all the usual floor and quarter rust. Even the cowl is good on this one. Anybody have any 65 parts? I need a automatic brake pedal and support. This car has a C4 but still has the clutch pedals. I would trade them for the automatic pedal.

Still working the body and it has gone well with some good help. Been working the doors and fenders. All the major body work is done sans hood and that is next< then lots of block sanding and primer coats. I will pull it outside soon and take some better pics.

Last coat of primer is on and ready for final block wet sanding. I'm going to paint inside the doors, trunk, ect in a couple of weeks before I start wet sanding. I may go ahead and do some mechanic work before I start spraying. To be honest I am tired of body work and need a break. I plan on lowering the car about 2" all the way around and I'm going to put the C4 out of my car in this one.

i would recommend against it, because any grease just from hand prints will ruin a paint job, undercarriage grease will on the primer will cause you to have to strip that panel bare again in most cases. hate to be a downer just wanted to let you know before got started so you could at least take it into consideration

Well it's painted. I used Dupont Nason acrylic enamel. Bodywork looks awesome but it has some dirt in it. I knew that was going to hapen with my small garage/shop despite trying to be as clean as possible. I have painted a few cars in here before and it's no fancy paint booth for sure. My 70 Mach turned out about the same and after a good buffing it looked real good. Next I'm painting lemans stripes in pewter metallic. I'm going to wet sand and buff in a few days.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Thanks and I hope to have it done by spring. The bigest things left are getting the seats covered, dash pad, exhaust and a new front bumper. I will have about 5 grand plus many hours of labor in it when done. I was lucky the P.O. had rebuilt the engine and purchased some new parts that where on the car. Funny thing is it had ten coats of paint that was cracked all over the place down to the metal, the floors where "repaired" using roofing tin and screwed into place and the doors where falling off. It had new pony door panels, carpet, rear bumper, mirrors and tailights. So that saved me some money I guess. I also have it running/driving again so it's coming along good.

I'm sure stripes on a 65 is something everyone has seen but it was my first try at painting them. They turned out pretty darn good If I must say so myself. I sprayed them on yesterday after my daughter and I spent about 6 hours taping it up. Still got some light overspray on a few places but it will come off when I buff. Both the base and stripes are single stage so there is that slight edge you can feel on the stripes but I'm not building a show car here, just a nice driver. I could clear it but I'm happy with how it looks.

Edited by SlimeGold 69