Sign in to follow this  
SELLERSRODSHOP

clutch pedals

i see alot of info on the different brake pedals, but not much info on clutch pedals. i know the brake pedal mounts in a different set of holes in the braket depending on whether it's power or manual,but were different clutch pedals used also depending on which brake pedal is used??

also wanted to add, if anyone has their car apart, & would be interested in renting me your clutch pedal for a week, i would appreciate it. i think i just may hand fabricate one, but need a good one to use for a pattern. i might make up a few extra ones if it turns out good & offer them up here to members that might need one. seems these are in demand with all the conversions & such.

There's a clutch pedal assembly on ebay for $500.00. It says it fits a '69 but will not fit a '70??? I would think a '70 would work in a '69??? Am I wrong?

A 70 will work. The 69-70 clutch pedal is like the holy grail lately. I had a 67-68 assembly laying around and decided that I would make the clutch pedal work on my 69. It fits just fine. The only thing that I had to do was remove the return spring perch from the 67-68 pedal because it hit the fuse box. The shaft is just a bit sloppy in the hole, but it is my understanding that there are plastic bushings that go in there. I plan on spinning some of my own on the lathe any how. If you would like some pictures, just let me know. Everything is just roughly mocked up right now, but it fits.

I was happy that it worked for the simple fact that 67-68 clutch pedals are more easily attained than 69-70 units.

Rob

rob,

i would love to see some pics of your setup. since i'm going to be changing the end to work with the cable quadrant, cutting off the endisn't any problem anyway. i also ran across a roller bearing upgrade for the bushings that you might be interested in checking out. i think it was around $40 for the complete kit.

mace,

from what i have read, the 70 will work, but works best if you use the 70 booster with it. the geometry is a llittle different between the pins on the 69 & 70 brake pedals. look at the link solo put in the brake booster thread i started. from what i've read on clutch pedals, the 69 pedal stop bumper is on the bracket, the 70 is on the pedal.

Yeah mustangsteve has the bearing setup on his site, looks pretty good but you have to weld it in or send the pedal off for him to do it. Also I said this on the other thread but you might want to look into using a bungee cord or something in place of that spring as it should be able to move around the fuse box, just an idea.

Link to the Bearing Setup

When I was changing mine over to a T5 I chatted with Modern Driveline as I thought I had a Mustang pedal (that turned out to be for a Torino). They were talking about making a cable kit to fit other pedals in place instead of the overpriced ones on Ebay.

Scott Drake was also thinking about repoping 69-70 clutch pedals.

I just installed the Scott Drake roller bearing setup i got from CJ pony Parts. You do not have to weld that one. The instructions stated you could weld it if the holes in the support were egged out, but otherwise it was not necessary.

With all the chat about the roller bearing clutch pedal, I decided to make my own. I went to OSH and found 5/8 ID shelfed bearings for about $4 a piece. They fit the shaft real nice and I think it's really going to work out nice.

Since the bearings are shelfed (have a lip on them) think that I can cut a hole in the support that matches the OD of the bearing (maybe a few thousands under for a press fit?). Only problem that I think may come up is that I may have to run a spacer between the right side bearing and the retaining clip. I will post pics up shortl of the bearings.

I have not started any fab work yet, but I will post the bearings just so you know what I am talking about.

Rob

A 70 will work. The 69-70 clutch pedal is like the holy grail lately. I had a 67-68 assembly laying around and decided that I would make the clutch pedal work on my 69. It fits just fine. The only thing that I had to do was remove the return spring perch from the 67-68 pedal because it hit the fuse box. The shaft is just a bit sloppy in the hole, but it is my understanding that there are plastic bushings that go in there. I plan on spinning some of my own on the lathe any how. If you would like some pictures, just let me know. Everything is just roughly mocked up right now, but it fits.

I was happy that it worked for the simple fact that 67-68 clutch pedals are more easily attained than 69-70 units.

Rob

a '70 pedal MAY work, but the whole assembly is NOT interchangeable.

I was able to use a '69 pedal in my '70 assembly, but I made my own cable clutch linkage. I don't know if the factory linkage will work between the 2 pedals or not.

a '70 pedal MAY work, but the whole assembly is NOT interchangeable.

I was able to use a '69 pedal in my '70 assembly, but I made my own cable clutch linkage. I don't know if the factory linkage will work between the 2 pedals or not.

I have no clue about linkage...

Just sure that the shaft O/D and length are correct.

Superduty69, Just a coincidence but I just purchased my first 2008 F250 4 wheel drive Super Duty diesel truck. I too own a 1969 Mach 1. And, I have the same ASSHOLES GARAGE sign hanging above the center door of my shop!!! I bought the sign and put it there myself. What does that say about a person??? Have a classic day, James the flame

I was lucky enough to get mine from an older VMFer for a pretty good deal. He sent some good photos as well, but was unable to make a website. In the interest of passing on the knowledge, I created a site for everybody:

http://web.mac.com/jbauder/iweb/6970clutchpedals/69-70%20clutch,%20brake%20pedals.html

I need to do the Mustang Steve roller bearing conversion - I can feel the play in mine a bit and don't want to ovalize that area too much . . .