Sign in to follow this  
69Tool

Delays, delays...

Well, I thought I had all the little quirks sorted out to get the car through inspection. However, when under the car I noticed that there was antifreeze dripping from the transmission at the back of the block. Given this motor has only 500 miles on it since a complete rebuild, I didn't think too much of it but wanted to take every precaution. I proceeded to drain the oil and it looked a little milky. I was also able to see that the antifreeze was coming from the last bolt on the head (the motor has aluminum heads) nearest to the firewall on the passenger side.

I proceeded to put fresh oil in the car while my concern was growing. Given that the oil is milky again, I figure that I either have a blown head gasket or a warped aluminum head. Given that this motor was professionally rebuilt, I am assuming that the gasket is not the problem. A friend of mine has a shop but will be out of town for a week, so when he returns next week, we are going to take it into his shop and tear it down to determine what the source of the problem is from. We have contacted the previous owner who will be contacting the shop that did the rebuild on Monday. I am hopeful that the warranty will be honored given we have yet to drive the car more than 2 miles. I am hopeful that those two miles and however many miles that the PO put on the car will not have damaged the bearings or the rest of the motor. Thoughts? What should I be looking for to see if there is any other damage? Obviously, I do not want to start the car until we have resolved the issue.

What little you've driven it, the water should not be a problem. I would say after engine / head gasket (that is if the block is not shallow some where) is fixed the oil changed again. Should be fine, any moisture will evaporate after heat is in the motor.

I hesitate to guess the problem, could be as simple as water around the head bolt some where, should be one of the experts up here any minute to shoot down my thoughts. Good luck and let us know what it ends up was the prob!

I spoke with the machine shop this morning and he stated that the motor had been rebuilt about 2 1/2 years ago. It was driven for about 6 months and has sat ever since. He figures that there is no way the heads would have warped and that it is probably not even the head gasket. It has aluminum heads so he figures it is probably the fact that it sat without ever being retorqued. His suspicion is that it is not even leaking at the head but instead, through the intake manifold. Does this sound likely? He was very helpful on the phone. Thanks.

I spoke with the machine shop this morning and he stated that the motor had been rebuilt about 2 1/2 years ago. It was driven for about 6 months and has sat ever since. He figures that there is no way the heads would have warped and that it is probably not even the head gasket. It has aluminum heads so he figures it is probably the fact that it sat without ever being retorqued. His suspicion is that it is not even leaking at the head but instead, through the intake manifold. Does this sound likely? He was very helpful on the phone. Thanks.

It's a very real possibility. Aluminum and steal expand and contract at different rates, so once you get an initial run on a motor with aluminum on it, you really need to stay on the torque specs until the bolts stay tight. Run a torque wrench over the intake and see what they are torqued at.

Best of luck

Rob