Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boogerschnot

Pulling my door window

I used a putty knife and also one of those box cutters with a long handle.... But most of the time I used the putty knife on both sides, I used it up & down then run the corner of the putty knife along the edge....after I removed the window I scraped the heck out of it to get the rest of the epoxy out.

Once I got my 69 Coupe window out, I discovered the reason why it was out of allignment was that it was glued (re-glued) poorly with one side almost out of the track. I proceeded to work at removing the old glue with a painters blade and adhesive remover when I hit a nerve and the glass shattered!

Previously, I had successfully re-glued (3M/Pep Boys) my 70 Convertible. One side I glued in the door (after cleaning the bracket with a dremel) whereas the other side I glued on my workbench outside of the car. Initially, I had wanted to glue both while in place on the vehicle, thinking that this would give the best fit, however, I made the mistake of installing the felt window trim and once that is on, it's not coming off without damage. In the end I was equally happy with the out of the car gluing fit using the rubber shims documented on another thread.

I reglued mine with it in the door. Take the door trim off the inside so you can get at it, and fill a little syringe with epoxy so you can apply it easily. When you leave it in the door, after the glue is in, roll the window up before it sets. Leave the window up overnight, and you know everything will be aligned correctly after it is set.

I reglued mine with it in the door. Take the door trim off the inside so you can get at it, and fill a little syringe with epoxy so you can apply it easily. When you leave it in the door, after the glue is in, roll the window up before it sets. Leave the window up overnight, and you know everything will be aligned correctly after it is set.

+1

Glue it while it is in the car and wind up the window, it will help with alignment issues. Just make sure the runners are level once it is wound up. The knobs who did mine were not so thoughtful :devil: so I had to do it properly.

As a matter of interest, instead of epoxy I used sikaflex window silicone. It will hold well and will also give me the easy option of cutting it out if I made a mistake. Nearly 12 months on and no probs.