Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stangboy

Sail panel install?

What exactly holds the rear sail panels in place in a fastback? I get my car back from the paint shop Saturday(hopefully!) and will begin to reinstall the interior. I have new sail panels and insulation that glues to them, but there isn't anything that I can see that holds them up other than the pinch on windlace. I think I remember seeing a spot for a plastic "push in" type retainer on the backside of the panel? Any pics of installation to help out? Thanks!

to my knowledge only the windlace and the rear window weatherstrip hold the sail panels in place.

If you look on your car where your sail panels attach you will see two holes on either side. One is towards the front, the other is towards the back. Original sail panels have a piece that attaches at both of these points. The windlace and the rear window seal also help attach the sail panel to the car. The problem is, most of our cars are so old they have been "restored" before and the the original attaching pieces are gone, the repos don't have them, and really don't allow for them in their design. Also, if you notice, the reproduction sail panels are flat with the moonskin design attached to them. The area the sail panel attaches to is curved. So, when you attach the flat repro to the curved area and try to make it fit, you get waves in the sail panel. To correct this you need to unattach the moonskin material from the top half of the panel and curve the cardboard backing (it is actually better to overcurve). Then, re-glue the material back to the panel. Attach to the car, and as the panel tries to stretch back to its original position, the material will get tighter, taking waves out, not creating them.

I will be attaching the sail panels to my car soon (hopefully this weekend). What I plan to do is use the windlace in front, glue the rear edge to the bottom of the window channel, and use large pieces of velcro to attach the center section. I have never done this before, so we will see what happens.

Clowns!

:clown:

If you look on your car where your sail panels attach you will see two holes on either side. One is towards the front, the other is towards the back. Original sail panels have a piece that attaches at both of these points. The windlace and the rear window seal also help attach the sail panel to the car. The problem is, most of our cars are so old they have been "restored" before and the the original attaching pieces are gone, the repos don't have them, and really don't allow for them in their design. Also, if you notice, the reproduction sail panels are flat with the moonskin design attached to them. The area the sail panel attaches to is curved. So, when you attach the flat repro to the curved area and try to make it fit, you get waves in the sail panel. To correct this you need to unattach the moonskin material from the top half of the panel and curve the cardboard backing (it is actually better to overcurve). Then, re-glue the material back to the panel. Attach to the car, and as the panel tries to stretch back to its original position, the material will get tighter, taking waves out, not creating them.

I will be attaching the sail panels to my car soon (hopefully this weekend). What I plan to do is use the windlace in front, glue the rear edge to the bottom of the window channel, and use large pieces of velcro to attach the center section. I have never done this before, so we will see what happens.

Clowns!

:clown:

i'll also add that while i don't have repro sails (i made my own) the originals have long slits on the backsides to help relax the board to curve. if the repops don't have these, you can take a boxcutter & score some lines to help the panel to flex a little. i made mine out of masonite & this trick helped a bunch. you can also use a few spots of rtv silicone to help hold in place. i was hoping to get my headliner in soon, but the 36 project keeps taking priority. maybe someday....