Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foothilltom

Hood damage: repair or replace

Hi guys, 2 posts in the same night for me. Whoo!

So the hood on one of my Mustangs is pretty damaged (see 2 pics below). I haven't taken it down to a body shop yet, but was wondering if any experts out there might be able to tell me if this might be repaired for something significantly less than the cost of a replacement hood ($450 or so).

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff/photo#5150750508920172306

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff/photo#5150750508920172322

The damage is primarily the front -- it's folded under from an apparent head-on incident though it generally looks like hell as a result of some odd sanding, scoop removal, etc.

I guess I'm just hoping somebody can sanity check if this hood is DOA or worth repairing for the cost.

Finally, I have a potential line on a 1970 Mustang hood. Is the 70 hood perfectly compatible with the 69?

Thanks as always. This forum is basically my lifeline.

Tom

tom,

is there also some damage a few inches up from the front around the center rib to the left? that area would actually be harder to fix than the front if thats the case. the front can be straightened in a couple hours labor IF there isnt too much damage to the support underneath the skin. the other area can get a little tricky. the stampings tend to stiffen the metal & care is needed when working the dent out to not stretch the metal. i've fixed much worse over the years. also, a 70 hood works fine. mine actually has a replacement n.o.s. 70 hood.

I would fix that hood first. Then buy the NOS hood if your did not work out. I would save a reproduction as my last resort. I have one, by the way, if you need it for significantly cheaper than $450.00. PM if you are interested.

Clowns!