Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kode-red-racing

I am new around here

Hey guys, I am new here but not new to mustangs, me and my dad bought our 69 pro street stang over ten years ago and still have it! I am building a 1971 chevy long bed pick up for my daily driver and show truck. My most recent project is our stang, it has a 351 windsor thats out to 414 cubic inch port and polished heads and manifold and the works. the car is tubbed with a cage and is sporting 17.5 inch wide tires out back and some body work was in order to get those feet to fit in those shoes if you know what I mean lol. I by self I might add am pulling most of the car apart to build it the right way and fix all the old mistakes the guy we bought the car form made. We may have a set of lower compression pistons on the way so the motor in the car now can sport a fancy new procharger. I do have a bit of a question for some of you guys, the car still has the stock front suspension, it is not a problem... ok maybe a bit of tight fit... ok there is hardly no room even with a small block, and my dad brought up about doing a strut front end and wacking alot of the engine bay out to make the more then needed room, but we cant seem to find any is there any that are worth while?

There are alot of modern suspension options these days, a search should call up alot of older threads we have on the subject. You'll have to fab up new sheet metal to repalce the shocktowers yourself but that is easy enough.

Welcome BTW!

if you want to do a strut front there are really only about 3 options. www.fatmanfab.com , www.ajeracing.com and www.rrsusa.net

alternatively you could use one of the coilover front kits from www.totalcontrolproducts.com , www.ronmorrisperformance.com or www.globalwest.net and trim the shocktowers back a little but, maybe 2-3", you can get a little more room with the strut front since you can eliminate the area where the control arms bolt to, the coilover kits still use the upper arms so you won't get as much room. something to keep in mind though is that the strut setups won't handle quite as well as a system with upper and lower control arms because they don't have as good a camber curve but since your car isn't really setup to go around corners you probably won't have to worry about that.

BTW, nice looking car and welcome!!!!!

. I do have a bit of a question for some of you guys, the car still has the stock front suspension, it is not a problem... ok maybe a bit of tight fit... ok there is hardly no room even with a small block, and my dad brought up about doing a strut front end and wacking alot of the engine bay out to make the more than needed room, but we cant seem to find any. Is there any that are worth while?

Hello and welcome,

I have the RRS coilover struts and shock tower notching kit fitted. Now there is plenty of room for my small block and 1.7/8 full-length headers.

Sorry for the long time to reply, but I have been bust at work on both my truck and our stang I mean what is a holiday break if you cant work on your cars? We thought about that RRS kit but with the procharger we will need to have lots of room for the tubing and the charger it self, and more air in means the need for more air out, so we will need to almost run 2 inch headers so we would be back to square one. Plus the guy that built it left the stock front half of the car and frame rails and they are starting to rot so a new square tube front end will be a good mate to the rest of the square tube chassis, and how can you beat 400 less pounds of pudding on the front?

Hey guys sorry for not posting in a while, but I have been very very busy with body work. I was wondering what you guys think of this paint scheme me and my dad came up with we want to the car in a gun metal gray color with either two black stripes or have some air brushing done and have the stripes look like peices of sheetmetal that is all rusty and riveted together.