Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daneyb

Always wanted to restore a mustang. Here it goes

Hello to all.. I have always been a fan of all old muscle cars. My bother and dad have been restoring old mustangs for awhile and I thought I would give one a shot myself. My dad called me and said he found a old mach 1 and didn't have any more room for anything else in his garage ( he is currently working on some fastback cars) and wanted to know if I wanted it. I told him why not, bring it over. The car is very solid just missing the front seat motor and 4 speed. It is a M code 4 speed car with the tach option. I also found a old rusty 69 sports roof near by with a good 4 speed and fold down back seat I bought for 500 bucks. I currently have it stripped and at the media blaster, I should be getting it back Monday. I am very curious to see how it turns out. I also just got my order from Kentuckymustang.com, it totaled about $4300.00 in parts so I think I got about everything on it new. The owner of Kentucky mustang Duane, was one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people I have ever talked with. You would have thought he designed the mustang. Below are some pics of what is done so far.

I have been reading thru the site for a few weeks now and it seems like everyone here is a good bunch of people. I do not think I have every been on a board were everyone seems to be cool and not pickering.

Benny

Cincinnati Ohio

1500dollarwinterprojectcar.jpg $1500.00 winter project car

Thestripdownbegins.jpg The strip down beginsstrippinainteasy.jpg

Stripping aint easy Almostreadyforthemediablaster.jpg

Almost ready for media blaster

partscar500dollars.jpg

Parts car $500 dollars

folddownbackseatand4speedtranyjustg.jpg

Fold down back seat and a nice 4 speed trany, now I just got to get it home

4kinpartsfromkentuckymustangcomarri.jpg

4k in parts from kentuckymustang.com I think I got about everything I need

ThewifethinksIamcrazy.jpg

The wife thinks I am crazy

Awesome, man! I hope to do the same thing within a couple of years.

I'm from Cinci (Fairfield) originally, which is where I picked up my sweet old Coupe from back when I bought her.

I have been reading thru the site for a few weeks now and it seems like everyone here is a good bunch of people. I do not think I have every been on a board were everyone seems to be cool and not pickering.

It's not an illsuion either, this really is Mustang Nirvana, or as close as it gets anyway. Good luck on your project, sounds like you are off to a good start.

It's not an illsuion either, this really is Mustang Nirvana, or as close as it gets anyway. Good luck on your project, sounds like you are off to a good start.

i think it's because 69/70 owners tend to agree on more things, probably because we know we have the best of the best when it comes to the year model of mustangs :whistling:

i think it's because 69/70 owners tend to agree on more things, probably because we know we have the best of the best when it comes to the year model of mustangs :whistling:

Well, that's true enough for the 69' owners anyway I guess.

:helpsmilie:

Awesome, man! I hope to do the same thing within a couple of years.

I'm from Cinci (Fairfield) originally, which is where I picked up my sweet old Coupe from back when I bought her.

hye Scott, when did ya get the cragars and BFG's? also how did the paint job trun out?

No kidding, I'm just a groupie nowadays that I'm without a pony, but folks here are so cool, I just continue to hang out (more friendly and lively than most Gal forums...plus, they already have a Crown Vic guy hanging around and posting here, why not a Galaxie guy?)

I was actually gonna say something similar earlier. The 69/70 is related to the other gens of Mustang as much as it is related to, say, the Falcon. They're JUST THAT MUCH cooler than any other pony.

hye Scott, when did ya get the cragars and BFG's? also how did the paint job trun out?

Heh, that's what I've been doing over the last month. They change the entire appearance of the vehicle, don't they? I've been having a hell of a time getting some used ones...I found my 15x8s for the rear, but have ended up buying really crappy single 15x7s, ones misrepresented as 15x7s but really being 14x6s, one I screwed up on and got a wrong bolt pattern *sigh*, and one that got damaged and shipped back to shipper. Finally,

I just gave up and bought some new from Summit (in 2 days, as opposed to 6 weeks hunting down and failing miserably on eBay).

So I have 15x8s on the rear with 255/60s, and 15x7s on front with 235/60s. It fills up those wheel-wells nicely, I think. It's probably what I should have done with my coupe before I decided to get rid of it, hehe. That same (or near) setup would have looked nice on her.

Well, the paint job turned out...meh. :whistling: My first coat had runs, so I went with a lighter coat on the 2nd. That came out almost matte black my final misting was so light. I went one more coat with what i thought was a happy medium, but I guess not...it's still a bit grainy. I've not yet hit it with a wet color-sand with 1500 or 2000 grit paper, nor have I hit it with the buffer and a compound, so I may still be able to pop a shine out of it.

The DS door is a real eyesore, though. Luckily I have picked up a complete spare door (glass, internals and all) that I'll get to panel-paint when the temps start getting up around 60 or 70.

Well I have not made as much progress with the Mach 1 as I would have liked to. I have most of the fire wall back completed. I will post some picks when I get them. The below picks is why. We got a newer car to go racing in this year. It is really more of the wifes car than mine but it is fun to drive. It is in the shop getting all the mods done to it. It is a 2004 Competition Orange Cobra.

04Cobra045.jpg

04Cobra044.jpg

04Cobra035.jpg

I also picked up another car to try restoring. Hopefully I will get to it next winter!! 1963 Impala convertible

100_0281.jpg

100_0284.jpg