Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SparkyGT

1970 Coupe - Parts Car?

Well here is the 70 Grande, just finished taking off the rocker, not sure whats goona happen in future with it, will be using alot of little parts for my 1969

Click the Galley link at the bottom to see all the pics

Img00288.jpg

1970_Mustang_Left_Side.sized.jpg

ScreenHunter_20.jpg

1970_Mustang_071.sized.jpg

I am sure you know, but there are some good rules when sectioning a rocker/frame rail/piller etc. I am sure you can research it thru ICAR online. some basics, the sectioning should be done at an angled cut, not straight up and down, It should have an incert at least 3" each direction with plug welds, This should be done before the seam is welded. I have not attended an ICAR class in many years for structual, but this was the correct way a splice should be done back in the day for strength/safety. There may have been some changes thru the years, but this was the recommended way. In order to be an insurance shop, on their list, you needed to be ICAR certified. In the USA anyway. Good luck with your car!

I am sure you know, but there are some good rules when sectioning a rocker/frame rail/piller etc. I am sure you can research it thru ICAR online. some basics, the sectioning should be done at an angled cut, not straight up and down, It should have an incert at least 3" each direction with plug welds, This should be done before the seam is welded. I have not attended an ICAR class in many years for structual, but this was the correct way a splice should be done back in the day for strength/safety. There may have been some changes thru the years, but this was the recommended way. In order to be an insurance shop, on their list, you needed to be ICAR certified. In the USA anyway. Good luck with your car!

I myself am doing all the parts removal, none of the sheetmetal replacement, i have done previous body work with welding patches and complete panel replacement, but this time i rough cut it out and my buddy does all the bodywork. He is a journeyman bodyman who works in a licenced bodyshop. so all the replacement is done properly and way nicer than i could finish it. He has been doing this sort of thing for over 20 years.

sorry, i still don't think that was the right call.

well it makes me wonder also bnickel, but which car would you rather have done sitting at a car show, a 70 coupe or a GT350. so far the 70 coupe has provided me with lots of parts, and for little initial investment, the rocker alone was pretty much the break even point since i didnt have to buy one off another parts car.

Also about the window swapover stuff mention above, im also switching my glass over but am wondering if the coupe bolt in assemblies are the same as the fastback assemblies, then i would only have to get 70 glass from a fastback

well of course i'd rather have the shelby but to cut up a decent M-code grande is not the way i'd do it, sorry. BTW, for that little piece of the rocker you needed i coud have gotten you a nice rust free one from the local mustang wrecking yard if you'd asked.

well of course i'd rather have the shelby but to cut up a decent M-code grande is not the way i'd do it, sorry. BTW, for that little piece of the rocker you needed i coud have gotten you a nice rust free one from the local mustang wrecking yard if you'd asked.

that would've been good, but how much?

I promise not to chop up any other mustangs :whistling:

not too many people locally were interested in it because of the door, floor, quarter rust

that would've been good, but how much?

I promise not to chop up any other mustangs :whistling:

not too many people locally were interested in it because of the door, floor, quarter rust

it would have been cheap, less than 50 bucks for sure. i did just see the pics of the passenger side in your gallery and there is more rust on that side than the driver side but still not at all bad, that could all be replaced with patch panels as could the floor and patches are easy enough to make for the door corners.

maybe i'm being a little harsh in my judgement of the situationbut i do hate to see a fairly rare car cut up for parts. then again maybe it's just because i own a fairly rare m-code coupe myself.

like i said earlier i've sent a couple of coupes to their graves as well but they were both six popper cars and nothing special at all and both were far enough gone to be only good as parts cars.

i was also partly responsible for the death of a fairly rare houndstooth standard 70 cougar in that i was storing it at a friends (now an ex friend) shop and he sold it to some guy for parts and they cut the car up with a plasma cutter after they'd stripped it. had i had another place to store the car it would have been restored and i wouldn't be bringing home a 69 cougar now.