Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timbo69

Dash Door and Console panels

Thought folks might want to see the end result after redoing my door panels and dash inserts. I went with brushed aluminum in the door inserts and center console.. C/F on the dash. I was going to go all brushed aluminum, but it was just too much (IMHO) The C/F on the dash will be good. Getting ready to put back in this weekend.. Just waiting on new gauge lenses...

dash3.jpg

dash2.jpg

dash1.jpg

Got it off a a seller on EBay. It isn't real aluminum,obviously, but it its pretty thick and looks really nice.

This is the stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120177855853&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002

Hope it helps..

They sell other lengths as well. Just check out there other auctions.

The Silver/Aluminum is the one you want though!

Tim

Oh OK, it is the vinyl stuff. I have been considering using that for a few years now but wasn't sure how real it was going to look. It does have a real look though in your pictures, like it's real aluminum protected under a clear film.

Is it easy to work with? Like does it have some stretch to it? It looks like you turned the inside edge around the gauge pods pretty well with the CF stuff.

Oh OK, it is the vinyl stuff. I have been considering using that for a few years now but wasn't sure how real it was going to look. It does have a real look though in your pictures, like it's real aluminum protected under a clear film.

Is it easy to work with? Like does it have some stretch to it? It looks like you turned the inside edge around the gauge pods pretty well with the CF stuff.

now you just need to send me some shipping money for that Dash bezel..

All of the stuff will form fit.. but you need to use a heat gun on low, or a hair dryer I suppose would work. A heat gun with good directional control leaves the material VERY pliable. You just need to hit it for a second or two and TAKE YOUR TIME.

I was originally going to do all brushed al;uminum, but after I did the clock bezel, it was WAY TOO MUCH brished aluminum. I then opted for the c/f, as I have done that before and it really looks good.

Just like a vinyl stripe, or decal, you need to get all the air out of it. You WILL invariably get the small PIA bubbles. hit with a fin, or the edge of a razor, hit with the heat gun and smooth out to totally remove. It does take some time. You also need a really clean environment to do it, so nothing gets to the backside of the vinyl.

After doing it, it seems the only logical choice to go with the c/f and brushed aluminum. With this interior it really goes together.

The key is the heat gun, ON LOW. Too much heat will melt it, or worse yet, warp the pattern on the c/f, making ot look like crap. It is forgiving as well, and after you are satisfied, go around the back edges, hitting it with the gun to actually seal it better to the metal. The aluminum stuff is made for outdoor use with a 5 year warranty I believe, so on an interior, you are prety well assured of it not failing... the wooden vinyl will fail as well. Unless you are actually touching it, it looks VERY real.

I did buy a roll of the wooden vinyl pattern, but it just seems dated.. Too much wood. You can always go back if you want..

I got the 1DIN receiver surround from CJ parts.. the did the c/f tratement to it. Kept the original.

Heres a pic of another center console (on another car) I did a while back. This car has won numeroous awards.

dash.jpg

now you just need to send me some shipping money for that Dash bezel..

Yeah I know, I keep forgetting. My weekends just seem to come and go before I know what hit me. If the stuff can be made that pliable, I wonder if it would conform to the stock dash bezel????? Hmmmm?

BTW Timbo, an old seringe works great to get out those small bubbles.