Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IGetIt

So here's my future beast

30 min. after I brought her home:

Front(straight on):

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2231&stc=1&d=1195153976

Front (angle):

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2232&stc=1&d=1195154077

Rear view:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2233&stc=1&d=1195154188

Rear semi-aerial view (look at all the crap on the roof. The entire car was covered in it) :

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2234&stc=1&d=1195154269

Interior (not seen - came with Winger tape, "Cocktail" tape, glow sticks, 1 US military ration, and a bottle of Tylenol circa 1985):

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2235&stc=1&d=1195154363

Just realized I can only upload 5 files... I'll put some more up on imageshack and link to them.

Here's the story on the car. Bought it from a guy who rebuilt the engine about 6 years ago, put it in, then realized how much the body work would be so it sat near his garage collecting every damn pine needle in the state. As ugly as the engine looks, it fires right up and has a decent rumble.

I had it delivered on a flatbed (on 9-26-2007 - about an hour before taking these pictures) as the tires were suspect, the brakes don't work and it's been sitting for so long.

Engine(according to PO at least): I'm hoping to get at least a year or so out of this engine as is. It has been rebuilt, but has also sitting for a long time, so I don't expect too much. Plus I really want to replace it and the tranny with a stroked 351. I can get a deal on a C6 right now, but I really don't want to store another large item right now until I get the body done. Here's what he says is on the current engine:

"It was magnufluxed bored .03 over and completely rebuilt with new flat top pistons, rings, bearings, etc.. It has 289 heads that have also been rebuilt. I also added roller rockers and guide plates to the heads. I plastigauged the whole thing when I put it together. Has eldebrock performer rpm cam, intake manifold and 4 barrel carb. Runs very strong"

It does run strong, but we'll see how she does once I get it on the road. I'm always skeptical about claims made on old cars when they're being sold.

BODY (what you see isn't necessarily what you get): The body is actually in better condition than I thought it would be by looking at it. Most of the "rusty" looking spots in the pictures are actually just peeling paint with a dark red primer below. I sanded down the hood and passenger fender to metal and have only found 2 small (1-2 inches) actual rust spots (and it was surface only with minimal pitting. They are straight enough to get away with a very small amount of filler.

One door had a bunch of filler in it and the other is actually rusty, so I'm going to replace both and transfer the innards (hoping the Dynacorns are as good as I have read). The quarters are worlds apart. The passenger 1/4 has peeled paint, but the panel and tub is rock solid below. The driver side is a basket case and will need to be replaced. I haven't gone too far into the wheel well on the driver side yet, but I'm expecting to replace that as well.

I want to replace the trunk lid (which is kinda rusty on one side) and 1/4 extensions with more of a Shelby design. I think that look compliments a '69 coupe much more than the Mach 1 style wing (which the car came with)

Exhaust: Mufflers are almost rusted right through. Will need to replace. They were cheapies anyway which would have been replaced whether they were rusty or not. I'm going to end up replacing the mufflers and checking the rest for leaks. If it's OK, then I'll just replace the mufflers and nurse it until I get a diff. engine. Then I won't mind spending some $$ on the entire exhaust.

Other: It has an 8" rear in it now, but part of the deal was for him to throw in a 9" he had in storage. He dropped that off about a week after I picked up the car and it looks to be in good condition (still has everything on it including old drums. Haven't researched what it came out of yet). Haven't spent too much time checking it out as I'm not going to get to the rear-end for a very long time.

Floors are fairly solid. One weak spot on the driver/front side, so I'll be replacing that as well once I get to that point.

The interior isn't too bad. The back seats are actually in great condition with the exception of that schmeg on them. I think they'll look pretty good once I do a simple cleaning.

Oh, and you wouldn't believe how many spiders I had to kill when I first got it!!! I f-ing hate spiders.

If you have any questions or suggestions, fire away. I'll update this as I go.

Right now the fender are off, the entire front is down to the radiator shroud (just got that refinished this week :) ). I have most of the outer front suspension parts. Waiting for the new UCA shafts and bump stops to come in either today or tomorrow (I hope), then it all goes back together with new shocks, new springs (620# 1" lowering), new new ball joints, new UCA shaft, new bump stops, reconditioned spindle, reconditioned UCA, new spring perch, etc...

Well, at least it has the air freshener (interior view), so your work is 90% done!!!!

LOL. I figure that "air freshener" hasn't freshened any air since since before I got my license!

If I were even 10% done right now I'd be happy.. but I'm taking my time to do it right. Plus I'm learning a lot in the process, which was one of my goals.

Nice project. I just love those first two pictures of your car. It looks like you just released a Monster and its ready to come out and eat some Chevy and Dodges. Ha Ha!

Keep us posted on your progress and Welcome!!!

I'm liking her, she does look like she's mean ass! Ha Ha!!

NO, NO I mean the car not this thread I'm looking at while I try to type! Keep us posted, your on the right track and forum to get 'er done!