Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

6T9rustang

1969 Mach 1 Restomod Downunder

My Restomod '69 Mach 1 progress.

Hi,

My name's Russell , I live in Rockingham, Western Australia.

I'm currently rebuilding my 69 mach 1. I hope to run a 10second 1/4 mile in her some day. Here is a list of some of the goodies I have fitted or purchased over the last 8 years.

Body- is currently being panelled and painted and is going to be Porshe Red, black Mach 1 markings with bugcatcher and rear spoiler.

Carbon fibre: front guards, spoiler, rear 1/4 panel ext, mirrors and bootlid.

Fibreglass: panel behind front bumper, front apron and hood.

High temp urethane headlight buckets.

Motor- 460ci windsor stroker small block(World man-o-war short motor) with Yates SVO C3 heads(720hp+). FAST fuel injection, Edelbrock manifold, Jesel valve train, Comp cam, Concept One serpentine pulley system, Meziere electric H20 pump, TCI Rattler balancer, Canton aluminium sump,MSD 7AL digital ignition,FAST dual sinc dizzy, Danny bee external timing belt...

Trans- TKO-600 blueprinted, strengthened and girdled with MGW shortthrow shifter, Quicktime steel bellhousing, Mcleods street twin clutch and aluminium flywheel, PST 3.5in carbon fibre tailshaft.

Differential- Competition Engineering chromoly sheet metal 9inch housing, Strange nodular-iron centre, Moser 31spline billet axles, Truetrac center with 4:11 gears.

Suspension/brakes- RRS power steering rack and pinion, RRS coilover on the front with 345mm discs(18x9 wheels) and custom threelink coilover system on the rear with 315mm discs(18x11 wheels). RRS underdash master cylinder and hydraulic clutch unit.

Interior- JME dash with Autometer guages, Scat elite seats and the rest is black Mach 1 interior. Powered windows and locks.Cool air products aircon/heating system. Fuel safe fuel cell with Fast 1000hp fuel pump kit bla bla bla...

Hidden

I guess its debatable to really call it a 'windsor'. It is really an aftermarket block but with the windsor characteristics. Looks like a 351w!

Hidden

'bout three weeks should have some shots of the motor. Should have one of the engine bay aswell. Have been a bit slack with photographing my project.

Finally got some pics of the engine bay. Now I have the shock tower notching kit fitted I have plenty of room for full length 2inch primaries. I think the valve cover might touch the JMC clutch master cylinder but I have an XY GT falcon one that is shorter, if needed. When the motor comes home I will start drilling and fitting the firewall etc... then pull the motor out again and touch up the paint. Will get a set of custom headers fitted too. Its all FUN.

Hidden
that looks really nice! what radiator are you running there ?

Its a Desert Cooler 4 core. It cost about $1000au with fans and shroud. didn't come with a cap though, you don't get a cap after spending $1000:blink: !!? Should keep her cool but!

Hidden
Wow! Looking good, any more progress pics?

I have been making payments on the motor lately so there hasn't been much progress to the body, but I will get some pics when I have done a bit more.:yes:

Hidden
wow thats a 4 row ? does it have 1" tubes ? can you get it with out the fans ? if so where ? what is the size and how thick is it ? thank you for the info.......Jim

The radiator had to be custom fitted. It was not a straight bolt in radiator. Give this guy a call and he can help you out. http://www.aussiedesertcooler.com.au/

If you are in the United States, a Griffin or PWR radiator would be my choices because I think they bolt straight in without modifications to brackets etc...

Russ

Hidden
gotta tell you that you have a nice looking car there! i'm planning on lowering mine 2" all around but after looking at your i'm not sure!

Thanks dude!:thumbup: Unfortunately she doesn't look that good at the moment. She's currently being restored.

Go for the 2"drop! There's nothin' better than the lowered,tuff stance of a 'stang.:drool: :tongue_smilie: I'm going to drop mine about 2" all around, when she's done!

just for grins....how do you plan on dropping your car! i picked up some drop spindles from fatman fab on ebay and got 2" blocks for the rear, but changed my mind and going to get 2"lowering rear springs if i can find some.add some konis,opentracker stuff and it should be fine for a weekender! whats your adeas ? thanks, Jim

Hidden
just for grins....how do you plan on dropping your car! i picked up some drop spindles from fatman fab on ebay and got 2" blocks for the rear, but changed my mind and going to get 2"lowering rear springs if i can find some.add some konis,opentracker stuff and it should be fine for a weekender! whats your adeas ? thanks, Jim

So far I have the coilover struts from RRS on the front and will be fitting the 3 link system from from RRS on the rear. Just a matter of winding them down 2inches.

Nice dream car 6T9Rustang! Many bits in there the same as my own dream. What wheels are those on your car? They look very close to Centerline Daggers (the wheels I want lol).

I'm thinking about building a high-tech aluminium block 331 stroker - light and really revvy, but seeing your build (a 460 in a 351W block) makes me wonder why I shouldn't go the 351 deck height and get 7L of more reliable, more power rather than the 5.4, for hardly any more money (except the fuel when I drive it!)

EDIT: - Like yourself, I've been wanting a 69 sportsroof since I was 17, I'm only 25 now though, so I've not been waiting as long as you, but I'll probably be in my 40s (after getting a place of my own) by the time I get my project off the ground. I have wanted a Harley Fatboy since I was 10 and got that last year, so it's not all bad.

Hidden
Nice dream car 6T9Rustang! Many bits in there the same as my own dream. What wheels are those on your car? They look very close to Centerline Daggers (the wheels I want lol).

I'm thinking about building a high-tech aluminium block 331 stroker - light and really revvy, but seeing your build (a 460 in a 351W block) makes me wonder why I shouldn't go the 351 deck height and get 7L of more reliable, more power rather than the 5.4, for hardly any more money (except the fuel when I drive it!)

. I have wanted a Harley Fatboy since I was 10 and got that last year, so it's not all bad.

Thanks! I like the daggers and nearly went for them! The wheels are Dragway DB-108s. 16x8s with 245s all round. I like 'em but I'm changing them soon. Here's the link for them:

http://www.dragway.com.au/m_24.asp

I heard that 'World' are making the Man-O-War 460 small block in aluminium.:drool::tongue_smilie: "You can have your cake AND eat it!"

Would love a Harley too, but I have had a few friends killed on the road on their bikes so its kinda changed my mind about getting one.

I wish I had owned a '69 when I was alot younger but I'm kinda glad coz now I got alot more patience to build it right! I wasn't a very patient kid!

I just ordered the three link rear suspension so looking forward to the delivery in a couple of days!

Good luck with your project and I will keep you posted on mine!

Hidden

The rear three link has arrived! I was happy to notice that the contol arms are offset towards the chassis meaning an extra 1" or so for wider tyres.Every inch counts!! Some other brands are not offset!!!

Limiting factors for big rubber is the leaf spring which is now replaced with these offset control arms. The next place to rub would be the inner guard which, while I'm getting new rear quarters fitted anyway, will be mini-tubbed back to the chassis rail, flush. The rear housing has been narrowed 2" on each side so I can have minimum back spacing to have that old school deep dish look!

I found these pics of 315s on a 17x10.5 with 6.85bs(1.10" offset wheel). Pick number 4 is a 18x10 295s with 6.375 and 1/8 spacer.

You can see with the leaf spring out of the equasion, Even BIGGER RUBBER is possible. Wish me luck! I will keep you all posted.