Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FallujahMedic

My '69 Fastback

http://web.mac.com/traumedic/iWeb

So It's been awhile since I've posted pics. Life's been crazy, not to mention having to try to figure out how to use a Mac.

Since I have such a clean slate does anyone have ideas on brakes? I've considered Mustang Steve's conversion, but have also considered using '70 disc spindles. I dont want to get too pricey, but simple and effective.

wow, looks nice. that is a nice blank canvas you have there. i think i told you already that Dennis, the disc brake swap guy, is working on a 1.5" dropped spindle based on the 70-up drum spindle so you can use pretty any brake kit designed for the 67-up drum spindle (also 67 disc) or he will have a couple different brake options as well at some point including a slotted granada rotor with a 99-04 mustang 2 piston PBR caliper. this is the route i plan on going with my 69 cougar project.

i'm keeping my 15" mesh wheels to use on the cougar and the drop spindle with the granda rotor and pbr caliper is the brake setup i'm going to use in the front and i'll probably use www.vintagevenom.com rear disc kit unless Ultrastang decides to do a C-V style rear disc setup then i'll use his kit.

bnickel,

Any reason you're choosing Vintage Venom over MustangSteve for the rear? I looked into all the associated parts I'd need to buy with the Mustang Steve kit and the prices weren't too bad. Alot, no doubt, but I can buy the parts in increments. Also looked at Discbrakeswap's Drum Spindles, not bad. Though I'm a bit confused when I look at the number of mounting holes on the new spindle when compared to the Pic on MustangSteve's site.

Discbrakeswap.com

spindle-assem-front-cu-3.gif

Mustangsteve.com

cobraset_under_a.JPG

Looks like 3 holes on the new one and 4 on the old, or is it just me?

As you all know, I have an affinity for the old Hallibrand / GT-40 style wheel, but a close friend of mine has been slowly trying to sway my opinion to these

ALY03566U.jpg 18x9 and ALY03567U.jpg 19x11. Now according to DodgeStang's chart the largest fronts Im seeing are 18x8 and I know that with a little massaging I can get 10" wide in the rear. But 11" ???? Seems like a bit too much. Where could I go (or should I even) have the rears cut and rewelded as 10" ? It's not something you see advertised in the Yellow pages. LOL

well, Dennis doesn't have his drum spindle ready yet, the pic you posted is of his new casting Granada disc spindle and caliper bracket. the drop drum spindle won't be out for a another few months yet. the granada spindle is also a viable option if you want a stock sized rotor or are running a 15" wheel.

i chose the vintage venom rear kit because of the drum parking brake. i like the drum style parking brake better because it puts more leverage on the brakes and doen't need to be used every time you park the car like caliper style park brake does, also i'll be pulling a small boat behind the cougar on occasion and the drum park brake works much better when you're on a boat ramp. the vintage venom kit also doesn't have the calipers flip-flopped around like a stock Crown Vic rear brake setup and they also have (or did at one time) a vented rotor instead of a solid rotor. if they don't still have the vented rotor there are aftermarket companies making them for the CV brakes.

BTW, dennis will also have a bracket for the 2 piston PBR calipers to adapt to granada spindles as well. he's actually working on that right now and hopefully will have them ready in the next month or so, or at least last i heard anyway.

:( I checked with VintageVenom, no rear kits for a big bearing 9" rear. They are in the process of developing one though. I wonder how long of a time from development till final product is?

well, if you have the big bearing rear just use the explorer rear brake kit, it doesn't have the vented rotors, they're solid, but i'm sure there is an aftermarket vented rotor out there somewhere, if it even matters to you.

the explorer kit is pretty much identical to the vintage venom kit but made for the big bearing rear. it's got the internal drum parking brake too. price wise it's about the same as the vintage venom kit too or even a little less.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=FMS%2DM%2D2300%2DG&N=700+400070+4294922533+4294822018+115&autoview=sku

It helps to motivate me to see just how far I've come this far. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and think I'll never get it done, but then I get that one piece of info from someone on here that gives me the spark i need to get going again (Like bnickel's link directly to the Explorer rear discs).

My brother is building a '68 Camaro (evil) and everytime I show him photos or a new vid even he gets motivated and gets a little more work done. He somehow got ahold of an '07 Corvette Z06 engine (said it fell off a truck) and he's looking at twin turbo's. He always has to "one up" me.

... He somehow got ahold of an '07 Corvette Z06 engine (said it fell off a truck) and he's looking at twin turbo's. He always has to "one up" me.

Uhh... OK. I'm going to start following trucks around then.

Yeah, I've been stuck for several months now. Nothing getting done on the car. I have nobody around here to kick me every once in a while. You're getting there though.

Heck get yours done and he'll still be dorking around with turbo piping and you'll be DRIVING.. :-)

Thank You... Thank You... Thank You !!!

you're welcome, glad to help. you know one of these days i'm going to have start charging people for advice...LOL:tongue_smilie: seriously, glad to see you're making progress and and glad i can help anytime.

Uhh... OK. I'm going to start following trucks around then.

Yeah, I've been stuck for several months now. Nothing getting done on the car. I have nobody around here to kick me every once in a while. You're getting there though.

Heck get yours done and he'll still be dorking around with turbo piping and you'll be DRIVING.. :-)

Stephen, do i need to get the bull whip out? maybe just post pics of my car again to get you jealous, especially if a gimp like me who drives an 86 towncar everyday that has a handicap tag haging from the rearview mirror can do it, anyone can.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt/69_stang_my_Mustang_001?full=1

there take that!!!! :shifty:

Stephen, do i need to get the bull whip out? maybe just post pics of my car again to get you jealous, especially if a gimp like me who drives an 86 towncar everyday that has a handicap tag haging from the rearview mirror can do it, anyone can.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt/69_stang_my_Mustang_001?full=1

there take that!!!! :shifty:

Yeah someone apparently does. No progress since May :helpsmilie:

Yours looks great man.. I just made it my desktop for motivation.. lol

Are those 454 wheels or Coys? They look good!

Maybe if I'd get mine rolling again it would feel better... shrugs.

Sorry for the hijack FallujahMedic :whistling:

-Stephen

Yeah someone apparently does. No progress since May :helpsmilie:

Yours looks great man.. I just made it my desktop for motivation.. lol

Are those 454 wheels or Coys? They look good!

Maybe if I'd get mine rolling again it would feel better... shrugs.

Sorry for the hijack FallujahMedic :whistling:

-Stephen

sweet... my car is someone's desktop :clap: they are E'brock 454's traded my 69 shelby wheels for them, i think it was a fair trade at least for me and i'm sure the guy i traded them to thought so as well, he sold them for what he was asking for these. thanks, one of these days i'll get motivated and get some new pics for you guys too.