Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bjfox1970

Starting my '69 Fastback

I am new to the forum. I just bought my best friends old '69 fastback. It has been in storage since 1989. It is going to be monster of a project. My first question is. How good is the repo sheetmetal out there. This thing is going to need and entire front clip, floors and frame rails. As well as wheel wells and quarters. I am hoping the repo metal out there is good. Otherwise this might be more of a project than I think.

i would try real hard to find good used original metal for as much of it as you can, expecially the front end. i've heard the quarters are pretty good and floors fit nice, though they aren't absolutely correct, but that really only counts if you're doing a concours resto. i hear mixed feelings on the doors and the fenders and hoods, that's why i'd recommend nice used if you can find it. if you need front fender extensions/headlight buckets definitely go for good used if at all possible, my car has one of each and the body guy said the fit of the repro was horrible and they had to do a lot of work to make it right

As far as the front frame/rad support/torque boxes I think the fit is fairly good. I just replaced all three on my 69 coupe ( you can see it in the progress section) and had no trouble getting things to line up. I did use some porta power to get it all where I wanted it though. And the new torque boxes did need some minor clearancing ( I also took pics in my thread)

Overall not too too difficult. I would just reccomend taking lots of measurements and making good use of a BIG F*ck$NG HAMMER :blink:

Got lucky and found a '69 coupe in a junkyard about 45 min from me. Or should I sat 3/4 of a coupe! The plates say it's been there since '84. The front clip, front frame rails, and front torque boxes are beautiful. I am going to cut them out of the donor car and splice them into the fastback. I also have a set of big block shock towers. Not sure if I want to cut up the nice front end to install. I would like to build a big block car however. Here are some pics of the beast. It also has a perfect drivers side front fender that I need. Not bad for $200!