Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfrozen1969

To build or not to build

Once I have disassembled these parts, I have to determine a value for them. I do have a yearone catalogue and I can get a rough idea, but is there a recognized understanding for the value of original parts? ie: 75% of a new part, depending of course on the condition etc.

Also I guess it depend upon how rare a part is and whether any NOS or reproduction parts even exist. I would imagine that it is best to sell the parts "as is" rather than trying to clean them up myself, in case I damage them, etc.

I have sold some parts before where I receive payment first including postage and then I package everything up and send it off. That was 5 years ago, is this still the accepted practice today?

I need to be concerned that I don't sell off anything that I may want/need years from now.

I see that I have some homework to do before I start posting anything for sale.

going by what's in the catalogs may or may not work, also year one is EXTREMELY high on their parts i would look at getting a CJ pony catalog and a Mustangs Unlimited catalog and maybe even an NPD catalog as well. your best bet is to check this and other mustang forums and see what the parts are going for. for example the door panels, they are being reproduced and are pretty high but used ones don't bring a lot of money unless they are in really nice shape, i need them for cores for a project i'm planning on for my 69 cougar, i'm going to be trying to make a molded door panel for the cougar as cougars didn't come with molded door panel like the deluxe interior mustangs.

Ebay is a good source to get approximate pricing but parts on ebay can go way high if it's an especally rare or extremely nice part so it's not always the best gauge for pricing. look around the other forums and see what other people are paying for parts in roughly the same shape.

once you get the cars stripped the you need to sort them and clean them up as best you can but don't try to restore them because you'll never get enough to pay for your time, labor and materials. my recommendation is to wipe everything down with a nice soft cloth and some mild glass cleaner like Sprayway or similar....DON'T use windex or the like, it's too strong for some things, if in doubt leave it alone. you could also just use a damp soft cloth as well.

i'm serously interested in definitely the door panels, trailer hitch and console, the other stuff i'd like to have but can probably live without and i've ordered parts from Canada before so i don't have a problem with that most of the time. also some people aren't too worried about the condition of some parts because they'll be modifying them anyway, like me with the door panels and trailer hitch. the panels will be totally modified from stock and i'm not worried a bit about the condition of the vinyl as long they are intact and the parts attached are in decent shape, the hitch will most likely get painted because it's got rust on it and again i'm not terribly concerned with that, black painted will be fine with me, however i want a pretty nice console for the cougar so i'll pay decent for one.

BTW, i'm probably one of maybe 2 or 3 people in the entire world that are the leats bit interested in the hitch LOL.

Bill,

Judging from your comments and questions, I figure you're sort of new to the restoration biz. My advice would be to consider both of these to be parts cars and look for something more solid to begin with. The money you spend on a decent roller will likely pay back later by not having to reconstruct the entire car from rusted pieces plus you won't be as likely the be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the job and get discouraged. Plus disassembling the parts cars will teach you much about how the cars are built and help you do a better job on your good car.

As to what to keep, my advice is simply to keep everything that isn't wrecked. Trim can be repolished or replated, plastic interior pieces can be redyed, brackets welded and sandblasted and repainted, wiring and gauges repaired, seats repaired/recovered etc. etc. Keep all nuts, bolts, clips, everything and put them in baggies when they are removed so you know what they are for. You can send out the whole shebang later to be cad plated as a bulk batch and every piece will look like new.

Contact local Mustang clubs in your area and ask about non-running cars for sale. They are out there - but you've generally got to track them down as the owners typically aren't trying to sell them. You might think that spending good money on a non-running wreck is crazy, but it's not if the car is in decent shape. Body work is EXPENSIVE unless you do it yourself.

Hope this gives you something to consider. Good luck in your search.

Gazoo

Bill,

Judging from your comments and questions, I figure you're sort of new to the restoration biz. My advice would be to consider both of these to be parts cars and look for something more solid to begin with. The money you spend on a decent roller will likely pay back later by not having to reconstruct the entire car from rusted pieces plus you won't be as likely the be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the job and get discouraged. Plus disassembling the parts cars will teach you much about how the cars are built and help you do a better job on your good car.

As to what to keep, my advice is simply to keep everything that isn't wrecked. Trim can be repolished or replated, plastic interior pieces can be redyed, brackets welded and sandblasted and repainted, wiring and gauges repaired, seats repaired/recovered etc. etc. Keep all nuts, bolts, clips, everything and put them in baggies when they are removed so you know what they are for. You can send out the whole shebang later to be cad plated as a bulk batch and every piece will look like new.

Contact local Mustang clubs in your area and ask about non-running cars for sale. They are out there - but you've generally got to track them down as the owners typically aren't trying to sell them. You might think that spending good money on a non-running wreck is crazy, but it's not if the car is in decent shape. Body work is EXPENSIVE unless you do it yourself.

Hope this gives you something to consider. Good luck in your search.

Gazoo

Well guys, I have decided to strip these cars. I will be keeping a fair number of the parts for myself that I think I may need someday, as long as I have storage space for them.

The biggest question is when will I do this. I have to be cognizant of the two engines that will have to be pulled, as well as the fluids associated with them.

I will keep you appraised of my progress, as I am sure there will be some questions upon the stripping of these cars.

On a positive note, I happened to locate a 1969 Fastback GT 4 spd with a 351 Windsor. There is no motor or tranny, but the car has new floors and the rear quarters have all been re-done. I have asked for photos, and may go take a look at it. The GT is somewhat rare with only 4973 produced from my understanding. I believe that it is in primer and is only a rolling chassis. I maybe able to salvage a good quantity of parts from my cars for this one. The seller asking $7500.00 Cdn, and I maybe able to get him down a bit. I have a place to store such a car if I bought it, but I will have to wait and see. One thing at a time.

Thank you guys for your advice, you have lived up to the integrity of this website.

Bill in Ottawa

(PS: It was 5 degrees celcius this morning, that's 40F for my friends to the south)

Well guys, I have decided to strip these cars. I will be keeping a fair number of the parts for myself that I think I may need someday, as long as I have storage space for them.

The biggest question is when will I do this. I have to be cognizant of the two engines that will have to be pulled, as well as the fluids associated with them.

I will keep you appraised of my progress, as I am sure there will be some questions upon the stripping of these cars.

On a positive note, I happened to locate a 1969 Fastback GT 4 spd with a 351 Windsor. There is no motor or tranny, but the car has new floors and the rear quarters have all been re-done. I have asked for photos, and may go take a look at it. The GT is somewhat rare with only 4973 produced from my understanding. I believe that it is in primer and is only a rolling chassis. I maybe able to salvage a good quantity of parts from my cars for this one. The seller asking $7500.00 Cdn, and I maybe able to get him down a bit. I have a place to store such a car if I bought it, but I will have to wait and see. One thing at a time.

Thank you guys for your advice, you have lived up to the integrity of this website.

Bill in Ottawa

(PS: It was 5 degrees celcius this morning, that's 40F for my friends to the south)

Bill in Ottawa

gotta love a GT. my coupe is also a GT, 351w 4V, auto, ps, pdb, AC. was my first car too, i've had it for going on 24 years now. if the GT is nice enough, buy it. you have a good collection of parts to use on it.

Bill in Ottawa

gotta love a GT. my coupe is also a GT, 351w 4V, auto, ps, pdb, AC. was my first car too, i've had it for going on 24 years now. if the GT is nice enough, buy it. you have a good collection of parts to use on it.

Bill, a fastback GT is a good catch, especially a 4spd. They are quite rare (by Mustang standards). Again, if you have a friend who knows bodywork, take him along. You don't want to have to re-do any of the previous work if it was done poorly. Go over it very carefully looking for rust, and check the fit of any replaced body panels, and how the trunk fits to the new quarter panels. Also check the top of the engine compartment aprons for rust where the seams overlap near the shock tower tops.

As for price, you could easily spend the $7500 on bodywork alone, so the price isn't out to lunch, as long as it is done well.

Good luck.

Bill, a fastback GT is a good catch, especially a 4spd. They are quite rare (by Mustang standards). Again, if you have a friend who knows bodywork, take him along. You don't want to have to re-do any of the previous work if it was done poorly. Go over it very carefully looking for rust, and check the fit of any replaced body panels, and how the trunk fits to the new quarter panels. Also check the top of the engine compartment aprons for rust where the seams overlap near the shock tower tops.

As for price, you could easily spend the $7500 on bodywork alone, so the price isn't out to lunch, as long as it is done well.

Good luck.

The car has had all new floors and rear quarters done. It is a base rolling shell, no motor, tranny, no doors or front quarters. I have yet to go see it as I am awaiting photos as it is in a different city.

The price is hopifully something that can be negotiated upon. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for the advice, it is always well appreciated and received.

bill

The car has had all new floors and rear quarters done. It is a base rolling shell, no motor, tranny, no doors or front quarters. I have yet to go see it as I am awaiting photos as it is in a different city.

The price is hopifully something that can be negotiated upon. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for the advice, it is always well appreciated and received.

bill

you've got a veritable treasure trove of parts there, though i don't a lot of that stuff is worth much, the vert glass window should be worth something though. the yellow sport mirrors look they are a from a 70 cougar and i see some other cougar parts as well, door handles, trim pieces, etc. i'd be interested in those mirrors as well if they are for a cougar.

you've got a veritable treasure trove of parts there, though i don't a lot of that stuff is worth much, the vert glass window should be worth something though. the yellow sport mirrors look they are a from a 70 cougar and i see some other cougar parts as well, door handles, trim pieces, etc. i'd be interested in those mirrors as well if they are for a cougar.

Not to say that alot of the stuff on this site isn't overpriced a little, but this guy has many cars parted out so maybe it can help you judge and identify several of your items and at least give you some idea of how to price them.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2421

Not to say that alot of the stuff on this site isn't overpriced a little, but this guy has many cars parted out so maybe it can help you judge and identify several of your items and at least give you some idea of how to price them.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2421