Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfrozen1969

To build or not to build

ok, best i can tell here the vert is trashed completely and not worth saving. the coupe will need some work but is salvagable if you want to put in the work and the money. both cars have some good parts that could bring a little bit of cash in for you but not a whole lot. both cars have 8" rearends, the vert has a 351c which is good and the coupe has a 302 which is ok. both are automatic cars so no elusive (and expensive) clutch pedal setups. the coupe is a factory ac, power steering power brake car, which means it also has front disc brakes since power brakes was not an option for drums.

all in all i'd say the coupe is your best bet as a builder since it is a fairly rare and loaded combo (assuming it's not a grande), V8, automatic, power steering, power disc brakes, factory air and deluxe interior but i will need a ton of work to bring it back. the vert is too far gone to be anything but a parts car but does have some parts worth keeping.

the interior on the coupe is pretty well shot and will need to be completely replaced, everything including the door panels and upholstery. here in Texas it would also be considered a parts car but in the great white north it might be an acceptable project.

so all in all, i'd say you really have 2 parts cars (at least here in Texas) but the coupe has the potential to be a pretty nice car. if you decide to part them out i've got a pretty good list going already that will get you some cash back on them.

ok, best i can tell here the vert is trashed completely and not worth saving. the coupe will need some work but is salvagable if you want to put in the work and the money. both cars have some good parts that could bring a little bit of cash in for you but not a whole lot. both cars have 8" rearends, the vert has a 351c which is good and the coupe has a 302 which is ok. both are automatic cars so no elusive (and expensive) clutch pedal setups. the coupe is a factory ac, power steering power brake car, which means it also has front disc brakes since power brakes was not an option for drums.

all in all i'd say the coupe is your best bet as a builder since it is a fairly rare and loaded combo (assuming it's not a grande), V8, automatic, power steering, power disc brakes, factory air and deluxe interior but i will need a ton of work to bring it back. the vert is too far gone to be anything but a parts car but does have some parts worth keeping.

the interior on the coupe is pretty well shot and will need to be completely replaced, everything including the door panels and upholstery. here in Texas it would also be considered a parts car but in the great white north it might be an acceptable project.

so all in all, i'd say you really have 2 parts cars (at least here in Texas) but the coupe has the potential to be a pretty nice car. if you decide to part them out i've got a pretty good list going already that will get you some cash back on them.

How do I know whether I have a 351 or 302, where do I find the engine codes on the engine?

well i can tell just by looking the engine in the vert is a 351 cleveland and the engine in the coupe is a 302. the 351c did not come stock in any 69 models so someone swapped that one in. the only 351 available in 69 was the windsor.

How do I know whether I have a 351 or 302, where do I find the engine codes on the engine?

well i can tell just by looking the engine in the vert is a 351 cleveland and the engine in the coupe is a 302. the 351c did not come stock in any 69 models so someone swapped that one in. the only 351 available in 69 was the windsor.

What is the difference between the coupe and grande?

Photos from the Internet appear to show that they are the same car.

Bill

the Grande was an upscale package for the coupe that included the deluxe interior but with cloth inserts for the seats and special striping on the outside of the car, plus the sport mirrors, wire hubcaps, and extra sound deadening.

you could equip a regular coupe almost exactly like a Grande but only almost. the deluxe coupe was actually a fairly rare beast since most people just opted for the Grande but the Grande was a little more expensive becuase it included so much extra stuff.

What is the difference between the coupe and grande?

Photos from the Internet appear to show that they are the same car.

Bill

the Grande was an upscale package for the coupe that included the deluxe interior but with cloth inserts for the seats and special striping on the outside of the car, plus the sport mirrors, wire hubcaps, and extra sound deadening.

you could equip a regular coupe almost exactly like a Grande but only almost. the deluxe coupe was actually a fairly rare beast since most people just opted for the Grande but the Grande was a little more expensive becuase it included so much extra stuff.

From what you have said, I have a coupe, as the mirror on the doors are chomed andappear to be the stock type. The car is lime/gold in color with a white top, but does not have any stripping package, nor does it appear to have had any.

Are there are rolling 69 convert or fastback shells in Texas that aare worth while?

Bill

From what you have said, I have a coupe, as the mirror on the doors are chomed andappear to be the stock type. The car is lime/gold in color with a white top, but does not have any stripping package, nor does it appear to have had any.

Are there are rolling 69 convert or fastback shells in Texas that aare worth while?

Bill

Bill

i don't know of any right off hand but i'll sure keep my eye out if you'd like. still, in my opinion i think the coupe could be put back together and be a nice car if you're willing to put some time and money into it, but it won't be cheap.

Bill

i don't know of any right off hand but i'll sure keep my eye out if you'd like. still, in my opinion i think the coupe could be put back together and be a nice car if you're willing to put some time and money into it, but it won't be cheap.

Definitely keep any of the vert specific parts to sell, many of them are not reproduced like the sun visor brackets and inner windshield moldings as well as those hockey sticks and center bar around the trunk/top enclosure.

Definitely keep any of the vert specific parts to sell, many of them are not reproduced like the sun visor brackets and inner windshield moldings as well as those hockey sticks and center bar around the trunk/top enclosure.

Thank you for the tips.

Unfortunately alot of the chrome is pitted, but from what I can see everything is there. The convertible has a split rear window made of what appears to be real glass held at the seam with some apoxy of some sort. I don't know if this is original or not.

All of your advice has been well taken, and I thank you all very much.

Bill

Thank you for the tips.

Unfortunately alot of the chrome is pitted, but from what I can see everything is there. The convertible has a split rear window made of what appears to be real glass held at the seam with some apoxy of some sort. I don't know if this is original or not.

Bill

Thank you for the tips.

Bill

keep all of the chrome trim regardless of whether or not it's pitted or whatever, they can be replated and some guys have broken these things and can't find replacements, also keep the top frame and all the wiring as well.

basically what you need to do is remove everything that bolts, screws or is otherwise detachable from the cars, including wiring and trim pieces just be careful removing everything.

Thank you for the tips.

Bill

keep all of the chrome trim regardless of whether or not it's pitted or whatever, they can be replated and some guys have broken these things and can't find replacements, also keep the top frame and all the wiring as well.

basically what you need to do is remove everything that bolts, screws or is otherwise detachable from the cars, including wiring and trim pieces just be careful removing everything.

Once I have disassembled these parts, I have to determine a value for them. I do have a yearone catalogue and I can get a rough idea, but is there a recognized understanding for the value of original parts? ie: 75% of a new part, depending of course on the condition etc.

Also I guess it depend upon how rare a part is and whether any NOS or reproduction parts even exist. I would imagine that it is best to sell the parts "as is" rather than trying to clean them up myself, in case I damage them, etc.

I have sold some parts before where I receive payment first including postage and then I package everything up and send it off. That was 5 years ago, is this still the accepted practice today?

I need to be concerned that I don't sell off anything that I may want/need years from now.

I see that I have some homework to do before I start posting anything for sale.

Once I have disassembled these parts, I have to determine a value for them. I do have a yearone catalogue and I can get a rough idea, but is there a recognized understanding for the value of original parts? ie: 75% of a new part, depending of course on the condition etc.

Also I guess it depend upon how rare a part is and whether any NOS or reproduction parts even exist. I would imagine that it is best to sell the parts "as is" rather than trying to clean them up myself, in case I damage them, etc.

I have sold some parts before where I receive payment first including postage and then I package everything up and send it off. That was 5 years ago, is this still the accepted practice today?

I need to be concerned that I don't sell off anything that I may want/need years from now.

going by what's in the catalogs may or may not work, also year one is EXTREMELY high on their parts i would look at getting a CJ pony catalog and a Mustangs Unlimited catalog and maybe even an NPD catalog as well. your best bet is to check this and other mustang forums and see what the parts are going for. for example the door panels, they are being reproduced and are pretty high but used ones don't bring a lot of money unless they are in really nice shape, i need them for cores for a project i'm planning on for my 69 cougar, i'm going to be trying to make a molded door panel for the cougar as cougars didn't come with molded door panel like the deluxe interior mustangs.

Ebay is a good source to get approximate pricing but parts on ebay can go way high if it's an especally rare or extremely nice part so it's not always the best gauge for pricing. look around the other forums and see what other people are paying for parts in roughly the same shape.

once you get the cars stripped the you need to sort them and clean them up as best you can but don't try to restore them because you'll never get enough to pay for your time, labor and materials. my recommendation is to wipe everything down with a nice soft cloth and some mild glass cleaner like Sprayway or similar....DON'T use windex or the like, it's too strong for some things, if in doubt leave it alone. you could also just use a damp soft cloth as well.

i'm serously interested in definitely the door panels, trailer hitch and console, the other stuff i'd like to have but can probably live without and i've ordered parts from Canada before so i don't have a problem with that most of the time. also some people aren't too worried about the condition of some parts because they'll be modifying them anyway, like me with the door panels and trailer hitch. the panels will be totally modified from stock and i'm not worried a bit about the condition of the vinyl as long they are intact and the parts attached are in decent shape, the hitch will most likely get painted because it's got rust on it and again i'm not terribly concerned with that, black painted will be fine with me, however i want a pretty nice console for the cougar so i'll pay decent for one.

BTW, i'm probably one of maybe 2 or 3 people in the entire world that are the leats bit interested in the hitch LOL.