Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfrozen1969

To build or not to build

Unfrozen, here's my 2 cents for you. Have someone experienced in body work come look at the cars and determine how bad the cars are structurallly. This may make your decision for you.

Otherwise, my advice would be not to put money into the coupe, because even if you do turn it into a nice car, you'll never be able to get your money out of it. Plus it won't draw interest like the convertible will. You have a chance to get your money back out of the convertible some day, plus convertibles are rarer (esp. in frozen Canada) and everybody likes them.

If you're on a tight budget, don't attempt to go for a concours restoration because that stuff costs a fortune. Have some fun with it and do a restomod, you'll have a more enjoyable car that costs you less. Don't be afraid to repair/refinish parts instead of replacing them - you can save a lot of money this way.

You're fortunate to have a parts car - this will help you a lot. But the killer will be the body repair, and you'll have to be really honest with yourself about just how much work will need to be done and how much it will cost. Remember, they didn't call them Rustangs for nothing.

Regards

Gazoo

Unfrozen, here's my 2 cents for you. Have someone experienced in body work come look at the cars and determine how bad the cars are structurallly. This may make your decision for you.

Otherwise, my advice would be not to put money into the coupe, because even if you do turn it into a nice car, you'll never be able to get your money out of it. Plus it won't draw interest like the convertible will. You have a chance to get your money back out of the convertible some day, plus convertibles are rarer (esp. in frozen Canada) and everybody likes them.

If you're on a tight budget, don't attempt to go for a concours restoration because that stuff costs a fortune. Have some fun with it and do a restomod, you'll have a more enjoyable car that costs you less. Don't be afraid to repair/refinish parts instead of replacing them - you can save a lot of money this way.

You're fortunate to have a parts car - this will help you a lot. But the killer will be the body repair, and you'll have to be really honest with yourself about just how much work will need to be done and how much it will cost. Remember, they didn't call them Rustangs for nothing.

Regards

Gazoo

Thank you for your candor.

I appreciate the advice, and if I am unable o get these cars registered, they will be parts cars. It will at least allow me to keep the parts I want for future projects. My children love teh Mustangs as much as I do, and they have caught the bug, so any opportunity I have to teach them a thing or two along the way is priceless. Unfortunately the convertible is not restorable. I have to keep my eyes open for s fastback shell. Let me know if you see any in Calgary.

Bill from Ottawa.

Thank you for your candor.

I appreciate the advice, and if I am unable o get these cars registered, they will be parts cars. It will at least allow me to keep the parts I want for future projects. My children love teh Mustangs as much as I do, and they have caught the bug, so any opportunity I have to teach them a thing or two along the way is priceless. Unfortunately the convertible is not restorable. I have to keep my eyes open for s fastback shell. Let me know if you see any in Calgary.

Bill from Ottawa.

don't let anyone tell you not to build a coupe, while it's true you won't get a lot for one if you decide to sell but an original deluxe interior coupe that is not a Grande is kind of a rare beast, well maybe not really rare but certainly not common, i guess it depends on your definition of rare. now an original deluxe interior GT coupe is a rare car. for a look at what can be done to a coupe look in the galery and you'll see a few really nice ones.

here is mine, it is a true GT but not an original deluxe interior car.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt

don't let anyone tell you not to build a coupe, while it's true you won't get a lot for one if you decide to sell but an original deluxe interior coupe that is not a Grande is kind of a rare beast, well maybe not really rare but certainly not common, i guess it depends on your definition of rare. now an original deluxe interior GT coupe is a rare car. for a look at what can be done to a coupe look in the galery and you'll see a few really nice ones.

here is mine, it is a true GT but not an original deluxe interior car.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt

Part them out, crush them and put them out of their misery. I know that's harsh and as a 69 Vert lover I would love to see another restored but face it - you'll never get close to breaking even. Not that breaking even is a consideration in most cases but I see those two as a hole where you will throw a LOT of money into. Too bad though - always hate to see one go but these two need to.... just my opinion. regardless, good luck!

Part them out, crush them and put them out of their misery. I know that's harsh and as a 69 Vert lover I would love to see another restored but face it - you'll never get close to breaking even. Not that breaking even is a consideration in most cases but I see those two as a hole where you will throw a LOT of money into. Too bad though - always hate to see one go but these two need to.... just my opinion. regardless, good luck!

Hello,

I am struggling with making a decision. I do not know what the possibility of selling these cars without clear title/ownership. They are parts cars, and I would very much enjoy taking them apart and selling off some parts and keeping what I think I need for the time when I get a viable project. So my question is, what parts do you keep, and what parts do you sell. It is my understanding that many of the parts between the coupe, convertible and fastback were interchangiable. So what parts are hard to find that I should take speacial car when dismantling if I decide to do that. For example, both cars have all of their glass. The convertible has a blue tint along the top of the front windshield. Is this stock, and is the glass worth anything, or can you buy new glass reasonably cheap? I was thinking of buying a sandblasting unit to restore the parts, is this worth my while or not?

Note the T-bar welded in front of the rad in the second photo which is welded to either fender, this car went through a rough restoration before parts were avaiable for it.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Bill from Canada

Hello,

I am struggling with making a decision. I do not know what the possibility of selling these cars without clear title/ownership. They are parts cars, and I would very much enjoy taking them apart and selling off some parts and keeping what I think I need for the time when I get a viable project. So my question is, what parts do you keep, and what parts do you sell. It is my understanding that many of the parts between the coupe, convertible and fastback were interchangiable. So what parts are hard to find that I should take speacial car when dismantling if I decide to do that. For example, both cars have all of their glass. The convertible has a blue tint along the top of the front windshield. Is this stock, and is the glass worth anything, or can you buy new glass reasonably cheap? I was thinking of buying a sandblasting unit to restore the parts, is this worth my while or not?

Note the T-bar welded in front of the rad in the second photo which is welded to either fender, this car went through a rough restoration before parts were avaiable for it.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Bill from Canada

oh man that vert is trashed bad. well i just another part or 2 i could use, the console is worth some money and i'd like to have that as well (provided it really is in pretty good shape) the steering wheel pad and the horn ring are worth saving and i could actually use the pad as well. the vert has a 351 cleveland and it's worth keeping or selling, the A/C dashpad looks decent with only a couple cracks and would make a decent driver piece and might be worth hanging onto. hang on to ALL of the wiring and ALL of the power steering stuff and all of the interior parts from from the coupe, i'd buy the door panels from you as well. any sheetmetal that is in decent shape needs to be kept, especially the front fener extensions/headlight buckets if the lower valance tabs are intact. basically i'd keep all of the interior from the coupe and most of what's left from the vert. if either car has a 9" rear you need to keep those as well and also if either car has a manual trans you need to keep the clutch pedal assemblies

oh man that vert is trashed bad. well i just another part or 2 i could use, the console is worth some money and i'd like to have that as well (provided it really is in pretty good shape) the steering wheel pad and the horn ring are worth saving and i could actually use the pad as well. the vert has a 351 cleveland and it's worth keeping or selling, the A/C dashpad looks decent with only a couple cracks and would make a decent driver piece and might be worth hanging onto. hang on to ALL of the wiring and ALL of the power steering stuff and all of the interior parts from from the coupe, i'd buy the door panels from you as well. any sheetmetal that is in decent shape needs to be kept, especially the front fener extensions/headlight buckets if the lower valance tabs are intact. basically i'd keep all of the interior from the coupe and most of what's left from the vert. if either car has a 9" rear you need to keep those as well and also if either car has a manual trans you need to keep the clutch pedal assemblies

after looking again i'd say you need to keep both grills and all of the other bumpers, the bumpers appear to straight and though the chrome is shot they are good cores and some people would pay decent money for them, probably no more than $50 each but still any cash is good. keep all the glass, repro glass is expensive but don't worry too much with the windshields unless they are original Carlite windshields and are in really good shape. keep all of the window trim and especially the vinyl top trim on the sides but be careful removing them they have nuts holding them on inside 1/4 panels, which is the main reason you need to keep them, people have a tendancy to think they have push nuts or clips holding them on and end uop breaking the studs off the backside. ask me how i know that little tidbit of info, no actually don't ask :wink:

after looking again i'd say you need to keep both grills and all of the other bumpers, the bumpers appear to straight and though the chrome is shot they are good cores and some people would pay decent money for them, probably no more than $50 each but still any cash is good. keep all the glass, repro glass is expensive but don't worry too much with the windshields unless they are original Carlite windshields and are in really good shape. keep all of the window trim and especially the vinyl top trim on the sides but be careful removing them they have nuts holding them on inside 1/4 panels, which is the main reason you need to keep them, people have a tendancy to think they have push nuts or clips holding them on and end uop breaking the studs off the backside. ask me how i know that little tidbit of info, no actually don't ask :wink:

ok one more, you see the woodgrain seat buttons on the coupe seats? you need to keep those even if you trash the rest of the interior, until recently those were not repro'd and teh repro's are about $70 for the set.

i'll update my want list from those cars now too, if you decide to part them out.

1: trailer hitch

2: chrome grill from the vert

3: door panels from the coupe

4: the console

5: horn pad from either car perferably black

ok one more, you see the woodgrain seat buttons on the coupe seats? you need to keep those even if you trash the rest of the interior, until recently those were not repro'd and teh repro's are about $70 for the set.

i'll update my want list from those cars now too, if you decide to part them out.

1: trailer hitch

2: chrome grill from the vert

3: door panels from the coupe

4: the console

5: horn pad from either car perferably black