Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfrozen1969

To build or not to build

Here is my dilemma. I have two 1969 Mustangs, one a convertible and one coupe. They are both 302 cars. The coupe had deluxe interior as well as power steering and air conditioning. It is in reasonable shape, and requires new floors and rear rails. The convertible is in rough shape but most of the car is there. I was considering rebuilding the convertible using the coupe as a donor for parts. My wife thinks I would be better off selling them off as a pair.

My question is, should I part out the convertible and salvage the coupe? or do I build a convertible using the coupe as a donor, or do I sell them both?

I am a family guy with three children and a single income. I would like to clean up the coupe as good as I can, part out the convertible and put everything away in storage until I am financially able to tackle a project such as these. Your thoughts gentlemen, am I being naive?

Bill from Canada

Here is my dilemma. I have two 1969 Mustangs, one a convertible and one coupe. They are both 302 cars. The coupe had deluxe interior as well as power steering and air conditioning. It is in reasonable shape, and requires new floors and rear rails. The convertible is in rough shape but most of the car is there. I was considering rebuilding the convertible using the coupe as a donor for parts. My wife thinks I would be better off selling them off as a pair.

My question is, should I part out the convertible and salvage the coupe? or do I build a convertible using the coupe as a donor, or do I sell them both?

I am a family guy with three children and a single income. I would like to clean up the coupe as good as I can, part out the convertible and put everything away in storage until I am financially able to tackle a project such as these. Your thoughts gentlemen, am I being naive?

Bill from Canada

I am also a family guy on one income. Both of your cars look like they will need some serious work taking both time and money. If there is extra income, pick one and go for it. If there isn't the lure to play with cars might make it hard to make the right choice. My car is in good shape, but I have so many plans without the budget. Fortunately, my wife keeps me on a short leash :)

You know how you spend money and time. Can you allocate with the right priorities?

Josh

I am also a family guy on one income. Both of your cars look like they will need some serious work taking both time and money. If there is extra income, pick one and go for it. If there isn't the lure to play with cars might make it hard to make the right choice. My car is in good shape, but I have so many plans without the budget. Fortunately, my wife keeps me on a short leash :)

You know how you spend money and time. Can you allocate with the right priorities?

Josh

Bill from Canada

i will buy the chrome grill (it looks like a chrome grill, anyway) and the trailer hitch from the vert.

i'd guess the vert is probably thrashed so the coupe might be the better builder. i'd salvage as many of the good parts from whichever one and swap them to the other and then sell the carcass of the other. make sure you take EVERYTHING from the donor car, doors, fenders, hood, bumpers, interior, engine/trans, suspension, all the little nuts and bolts, EVERYTHING and save them for the other car. you never know what you might need once you start the resto, trust me.

BTW, i am serious about the grill (assumings it is the chrome one) and the trailer hitch, i need the hitch for my 69 cougar project.

Bill from Canada

i will buy the chrome grill (it looks like a chrome grill, anyway) and the trailer hitch from the vert.

i'd guess the vert is probably thrashed so the coupe might be the better builder. i'd salvage as many of the good parts from whichever one and swap them to the other and then sell the carcass of the other. make sure you take EVERYTHING from the donor car, doors, fenders, hood, bumpers, interior, engine/trans, suspension, all the little nuts and bolts, EVERYTHING and save them for the other car. you never know what you might need once you start the resto, trust me.

BTW, i am serious about the grill (assumings it is the chrome one) and the trailer hitch, i need the hitch for my 69 cougar project.

I agree that it really is going to depend on your means, ability and budget. Restoring a car is no easy or cheap task by any means even when doing it completely yourself. I can't even imagine how you ended up with 2 cars and have yet to at least start to fix either one yet so I think it may be in your best interest to just let them both go.

I agree that it really is going to depend on your means, ability and budget. Restoring a car is no easy or cheap task by any means even when doing it completely yourself. I can't even imagine how you ended up with 2 cars and have yet to at least start to fix either one yet so I think it may be in your best interest to just let them both go.

good points Pak, but he may have just gotten them as well.

good points Pak, but he may have just gotten them as well.

Thank you for the good advice guys.

It is true, I did just get the cars, the convertible was being advertised and the coupe was in the lot with it, I made an offer on both, because how often do you get the opportunity to own two 69 Mustangs. The previous owner was going to rebuild the convertible with the coupe, but he has let them both sit (approx 15 years) without any attention. The cars have a lot of parts on them, and I am not prepared to start parting them out, yet. If I decide to sell, I would prefer to sell them as a pair and be done with it. I am trying to get them registered so that I have clear title, it has been a chore so far.

Thanks again

Thank you for the good advice guys.

It is true, I did just get the cars, the convertible was being advertised and the coupe was in the lot with it, I made an offer on both, because how often do you get the opportunity to own two 69 Mustangs. The previous owner was going to rebuild the convertible with the coupe, but he has let them both sit (approx 15 years) without any attention. The cars have a lot of parts on them, and I am not prepared to start parting them out, yet. If I decide to sell, I would prefer to sell them as a pair and be done with it. I am trying to get them registered so that I have clear title, it has been a chore so far.

Thanks again

Well if that's the case then I think while it is not the easiest of the tasks, the convertible will by far exceed the coupe in overall value and sheer pleasure of driving in the end. Has this been a long time dream of yours like most of us? What is your budget and ability? If you just got them it sounds like it may have been without the wifes approval and if so then I may have to stand by my orignal assement. If she is already pushing to unload both of them then the strain of a several year long restoration if not more may be more than your household can bare.

Well if that's the case then I think while it is not the easiest of the tasks, the convertible will by far exceed the coupe in overall value and sheer pleasure of driving in the end. Has this been a long time dream of yours like most of us? What is your budget and ability? If you just got them it sounds like it may have been without the wifes approval and if so then I may have to stand by my orignal assement. If she is already pushing to unload both of them then the strain of a several year long restoration if not more may be more than your household can bare.

I have a lot to consider before I do anything.

As for the trailer hitch, I do not know if it is a period hitch from the sixties or not. You naybe able to tell by the photo. Will there be any distinguishing numbers on it etc. It is attached to the bumper, and depending on the rust, it may need to be ground off. Also, where would it need to be shipped to?

Bill from Canada

As for the trailer hitch, I do not know if it is a period hitch from the sixties or not. You naybe able to tell by the photo. Will there be any distinguishing numbers on it etc. It is attached to the bumper, and depending on the rust, it may need to be ground off. Also, where would it need to be shipped to?

Bill from Canada

Bill from Canada

doesn't matter if it's period correct or from u-haul, i just need the hitch so we can tow my wife's little boat with the cougar. it would need to be shipped to Lubbock, Tx. zip 79410. i would appreciate it a lot.

Bill from Canada

doesn't matter if it's period correct or from u-haul, i just need the hitch so we can tow my wife's little boat with the cougar. it would need to be shipped to Lubbock, Tx. zip 79410. i would appreciate it a lot.

I was looking at the hitch and it is not as easy as just removing some bolts. The frame of the car is not well supported and I need to buy some more jacks that will enable me to get under the car. Upon doing that I can then determine how the hitch was attached to the underbody. I can see that it goes under the gas tank, but I can't see beyond that.

If this is possible, we would need to negotiate a price, and I would have to find out what postage is to Lubbock Texas, if thats where you live, to send it to you. No guarantees at the moment, as I am trying to get these cars registered first. I do not want to start parting the car out first until I can get them registered. Then I will sell them the way they are.

I was looking at the hitch and it is not as easy as just removing some bolts. The frame of the car is not well supported and I need to buy some more jacks that will enable me to get under the car. Upon doing that I can then determine how the hitch was attached to the underbody. I can see that it goes under the gas tank, but I can't see beyond that.

If this is possible, we would need to negotiate a price, and I would have to find out what postage is to Lubbock Texas, if thats where you live, to send it to you. No guarantees at the moment, as I am trying to get these cars registered first. I do not want to start parting the car out first until I can get them registered. Then I will sell them the way they are.

no hurry, i don't even have the car at the house yet. do what you need to do first and we can work out the details later. PM me with a price and we can sort the shipping out later when you get everything sorted out. Thanks

no hurry, i don't even have the car at the house yet. do what you need to do first and we can work out the details later. PM me with a price and we can sort the shipping out later when you get everything sorted out. Thanks