Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70-DropTop

70-DropTop's Resto Progress Thread

For the last several months, I've been part shopping. I've actually now started the disassembly of my '70 vert. So, I wanted to start a progress thread to document and share my progress. This weekend was more or less getting organized, things moved around, and a unbolting what I could in the time I had. I've been bagging and tagging. This takes time, but will be invaluable during re-assembly. Check out the photos (I've also included a few others as a brief history lesson):

The day it arrived fall '06:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Part Shopping:

'91 5.0 HO ($250)

005.jpg

Front accessories and brackets for serpentine

006.jpg

9" rear out of a '69

007.jpg

T5z tranny

008.jpg

Fuel tank kit

009.jpg

010.jpg

Gently use lenses

011.jpg

Some sheet metal

012.jpg

Wheels off my last '00 Mustang GT (18x9.5's 2000 Cobra R's) for the '70

013.jpg

Started to remove panels, trim and wires:

014.jpg

015.jpg

It looks like a good solid project. So, what are your plans, other than put on the parts you've accumulated? Are you keeping the color RED?

Plan is to strip it down to a rolling chassis. I found a local media baster that'll take it that way, strip it down to bare metal and return it to me with an epoxy primer. At that point, I'm going to fix whatever holes were left behind from rust.

Then, I'll ship it off to paint. I want a deep black. I've always wanted a black car...no matter what happened, I always ended up with red. So, the plan is to make it triple black. I considered returning it to yellow (it's original color), but ruled that out because of the wheels I plan to run. I'd rather have black wheels with a yellow car. The other color under consideration was grabber orange.

If you're wondering, the wheels were a special gift to me when I had my '00 GT. I'm not about to give those up, if I can help it. Two of them will need narrowed for the front.

Suspension upgrades will be a modified stock setup. I'll lower the car and give it a slight rake. I'll most likely go with the setup Opentracker recommended to me (after I conveyed my goals to him). Then, it'll be treated with a Randall's rack and pinion.

The all-drum, manual brakes will be tossed, in favor of a late-model cobra setup. I already have half the parts for that conversion.

Finally, the interior will be mostly stock, except for an autometer gauge setup, Mach 1 sport seat conversion.

That's the general plan. First, I need to get it stripped and blasted before Thanksgiving weekend. That's the Fall/Winter Ford parts swap in Columbus and I want to buy all the sheet metal I need for repairs there (save big $$ on shipping).

Deep Black, Triple Black...black or quadruple black. What’s the deal with all the blacks? I need to educate myself since I'm going with "Black" too. I was just going to go with 2007 Mustang GT Black. I think it’s called black and it looks, well…Black!

Looks good, Drop-Top. :thumbup1:

Looks like you have a solid car there. I noticed the driver's floor was replaced..how are your floors and torque boxes?

I'm looking forward to your progress, hopefully we can feed off of each other.

looks like a very fun project. I look forward to seeing it progress amigo.[/

Thanks...I've actually read through all of your progress thread 'cause I know it'll come in handy.

Deep Black, Triple Black...black or quadruple black. What’s the deal with all the blacks? I need to educate myself since I'm going with "Black" too. I was just going to go with 2007 Mustang GT Black. I think it’s called black and it looks, well…Black!

LOL! That's funny. All I want is a (here's another one) jet black...no off shade, nothing like that.:biggrin:

What I meant by triple black is a black body, black top, and black interior. Nothing like this:

blk1.jpg

Something like this:

blk3.jpg

With my own twist, of course :yes:

Looks good, Drop-Top. :thumbup1:

Looks like you have a solid car there. I noticed the driver's floor was replaced..how are your floors and torque boxes?

I'm looking forward to your progress, hopefully we can feed off of each other

I've also read through your stuff too...for obvious reasons. That's what I'm hoping because our projects look very similar. You have a head start on me, though, which helps me.

Yeah, the car feels solid. A friend and I opened both doors, stood behind both seats where the rockers would tie in, and shut the doors with ease. I'm finding some of the usual stuff here and there. That's expected though. The torque boxes will need some work. I've been focusing on stripping the car that I haven't taken a really solid look at them. I'll have to replace part of them at a minimum. I plan to buy Tinman subframes...that'll really tighten it. Of course, I'll post pictures as I go.

By the way, I just picked up a NOS grille emblem for $25 on eBay. I've seen them go as high as $70+- The repops are $30. Yeah, what's $5? To me, it all adds up in the end. That's why I have a good start on part shopping for my key items. When I find a deal that'll save me in the end, I don't wait around for it if I know I'll need it (like that T5z and bellhousing with 20k miles - that was $400).